I'm new and hooked on tinny Starcrafts

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: I'm new and hooked on tinny Starcrafts

Cool:cool:

OK tall man from Texas...

Can we do a quick review?

What was the particular reason we aren't going to at least contact the owner of that Islander?

I mean just give him a call and say...

"Hey, I noticed your ol Starcraft sitting at the storage yard there. You wouldn't have any interest in selling that would you? I don't have a lot to work with but I do appreciate old aluminum boats. Just thought I'd give you a quick contact and let you know I'm interested. Thanks!"

You know, just plant the seed sort of.

I think you mentioned space to put it - yah that would be a bit of a problem.

If $$ to rebuild is the problem, fagettaboutit.

It doesn't cost a penny to tear one down. To rebuild, just a few bux at a time. Take a look at either one of my projects, I have zero dollars to work with, seriously. Little plywood here, little paint there, just a little at a time, and slowly it'll take shape. Slowly.

Worth the cost of a phone call anyway;)

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What was the particular reason we aren't going to at least contact the owner of that Islander?

"Hey, I noticed your ol Starcraft sitting at the storage yard there. You wouldn't have any interest in selling that would you? I don't have a lot to work with but I do appreciate old aluminum boats. Just thought I'd give you a quick contact and let you know I'm interested. Thanks!"

It doesn't cost a penny to tear one down. To rebuild, just a few bux at a time. Take a look at either one of my projects, I have zero dollars to work with, seriously. Little plywood here, little paint there, just a little at a time, and slowly it'll take shape. Slowly.

I would reply to your post right now but I'm busy memorizing your lines so I can call the guy.:p Yeah, I was wondering how long it was gonna take you to get on to me about that. Truth is, I was kinda hoping I could find the words to talk him in to giving it to me. Ya know, like "Hey, I can get some tires and haul that old boat out of that storage space for ya, no charge. It'll save you from having to do it and you won't have to pay for storage any more". If he asks why I'm willing to do it, I'll say"Because I love boats and I want to rebuild it. I don't have much money but if I keep at it,little by little, I'll have her back on the water where she can be enjoyed. Waduyathink? :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Give it to you for free you say?:confused:

I like your route even better!!!:D

I think my only fear is that he may think it's worth a great big pile of cash - maybe the reason it's been sitting for so long ya know.

Either way, it's absolutely worth the cost of a phone call;)

barato2

Commander

listen to the King of bottom feeders, dude. he knows the evil that lurks in the minds of men, and more importantly, what might convince them to part with their boat. it would be dirty pool, but i wonder if it would ever be an effective tactic to approach the SPOUSE of the guy with languishing tinnie to plant the seed about getting it out of the yard.......

another thought for you if you don't have $ or room for Precious Metal right now is that used inflatables tend to go for a pittance on CL, fold to fit behind your couch and usually last for years if you're willing to patch a few holes. i got started with a Sevylor inflatable that i paid $80 for, new, and i still have and use it. it's sort of a glorified pool toy but has enough air chambers that i felt safe taking it 1/2 mile offshore. and doesn't require registration etc in NM.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Brilliant! I call this the Vulcan Mind Meld, no one does it better than Jas.

Oooh Barato, go for the spouse. That's a dirty little Ferengi negotiating trick. I like it!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

VulcanMindMeld-1.png

I ran this technique to score an OB kicker yesterday for the Islander:D