I'm new and hooked on tinny Starcrafts

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: I'm new and hooked on tinny Starcrafts

Well Tex, I lived in The Meadows and Sugar Land as well for a few years - So I know where Stafford is. I was posting while you were answering barato, saw it after mine posted. I know no money for toys. LOL I left TX in 2004 for a better job - actually a job since I was caught in a NASA budget cut and the contractor I worked for lost a lot of positions. But I'm I lot better off here and retired now so I have time. I do miss the saltwater fishing though.

Hey GA thanks for hollerin back. It would be nice to be retired. As I see it, Ill be working 'till I'm 70. The last time I went saltwater fishing in the Gulf was in 1982 and it got to be very uneventful to say the least. They were busy dredging the Houston Ship Channal at that time and the shrimp fisherman were complaining that the silt was chasing the shrimp and fish away. I don't know if it ever recovered. Seems like ya gotta be willing to venture out further and further if ya want to catch anything. I liked river fishing when I lived in Colorado. I got pretty good at it. Ya gotta stalk the trout there because the water is sooo clear. Loved it. They are my favorite fish to eat and they give ya a good fight too because they are so strong. I'm not a bait fisherman. Don't have the patience for it. I like to move around and try different holes along the river or lake. That's my idea of fishing. If ya haven't tried it, you should.I could go on but not now. Have a good one. :)

barato2

Commander

64osby makes a VERY good point....i'm also [a mere] 6'4" and the leg room under the dash on the 18' holiday sucks. definitely designed for shorter people. not to mention trying to extricate legs from under it quickly in the event of a strike while trolling. i'm considering converting it to a center console and this is one of the big reasons.

my bro lives in Galveston and every time i visit, i think about beach launching my portabote to fish some of the rigs i can see about 7 miles off......once i'm retired, i'll have time for this.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

barato...you make a good point. It would be like trying to excape a clown car. :D CC would be the way to go. I hope you get that chance to fish those rigs out there. I've been to some of them but more down the coast off Matagoarda (sp). Latter:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Um on a project SS, you can put the friggin' seat wherever you want......

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Um on a project SS, you can put the friggin' seat wherever you want......

Hi EZ. That's right. A seat that swivels would work but it would have to be high enough so my knees wouldn't be under my chin. :D Then there's the issue of needing a taller windshield. Has that been done before? Perhaps some kind of spacer( like a cubby) that could be mounted across the dash that the windshield would be mounted on top of. That would raise it up. That's the best part about these boats. You can change them anyway that suits you.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes, actually fairly recently someone did raise the windshield on a tin dual console. Anyone else remember the thread? I'm not sure what to search. I think it was a Crestliner or something.

64osby

Admiral

Hey 64, good to hear from you. Wow!! that's a nice boat you built.

Hey tall, Thanks for the complement on the boat, but this is an original, no rebuild. One of the few around here that was splash ready.;)

But someday I too will be tearing it down and rebuilding it.

Good luck on your quest to become a "Starman". I looked for 5 months before finding this one.

barato2

Commander

EZ, i don't agree that simply placing seats further back would solve all issues. i was basing my comments on my Holiday, which doesn't even have any seats at moment. if one is tall enough, one's knees will snag dash unless you put the seats so far back that you can barely reach the steeering wheel. for my intended purpose (96% fishing), the original configuration would work OK, but i'm contemplating going to the work of CC'ing it just due to ergonomics for the upper-atmospherically-challenged.

Talltx, look into portabotes if storage is a problem right now. with careful shopping on CL, you can get a good one for 5-700 and it will fit behind your couch.

InMotion

Commander

Yes, actually fairly recently someone did raise the windshield on a tin dual console. Anyone else remember the thread? I'm not sure what to search. I think it was a Crestliner or something.

Hey Ez, Funny you should mention that... I may have to either raise the windshield or lower the seats... if you do find/or someone finds the thread it would be interesting to see what was done.

I have trouble fitting in most cars AND trucks.... Tx - must be tough man at 6'10"!!! ... something definetly to keep in mind when getting your boat. Presuming it is a restore, it shouldn't be that tricky to "adjust" the seats back and forth. I already know that I will be moving the seats back a few inches as I could barely squeeze my legs in under the steering wheel and dash!

Anyway, just some thoughts... I am enjoying this thread --- it's bit like a Cheers... chattin' and drinking in boats! :D

Have a great day guys!

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks 64. I'm not in a hurry. I'll just lope along and when the time is right, I'll find her.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

barato: UPPER-ATMOSPHERICALLY CHALLENGED ! That's a good one! :D I considered portabotes when I couldn't find a new pair of size 16 shoes once. Ya think I can mount a couple motors on a pair and go boating that way? :cool:

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome inMotion. Ahemm, just so ya know, the new poster always buys the donuts. I like jelly filled. I don't know about the other guys. :D On another subject........I moved the seat back on a VW bug I had as a teenager. People thought I was driving from the back seat.Fun car.

dozerII

Admiral

InMotion

Commander

Welcome inMotion. Ahemm, just so ya know, the new poster always buys the donuts. I like jelly filled. I don't know about the other guys. :D On another subject........I moved the seat back on a VW bug I had as a teenager. People thought I was driving from the back seat.Fun car.

Man are they goin' be stale and nasty by the time they reach you!!! :eek: I'll send an assorted pack!:D

VW bug.... I had to chop 2" out of Mrs. Motions Mazda 6 Wagon's driver seat legs for me to fit with a reasonable degree of comfort!!!:facepalm: Mrs M. was not particularly happy... but still loves the car!!!

barato2

Commander

i once had to add an extension to the seat belt harness in our Westy cuz my sweetie was short and uh, larger than me in girth. you defnitely keep the seat tracks workin good when you have a 15" height difference between drivers.

Ya think I can mount a couple motors on a pair and go boating that way?
Tall, you just gave me an idea. when i get the other honda 2hp put back together, i will have to set both up as twins on the portabote and shoot pix, just to make Jas feel all warm inside

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glen, that's great! I've never seen that before. I wish my Bug had that much power. He was there .........then he was gone.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

inMotion: I told my wife that I wanted to move the seat back in our Honda CRV. When she tossed a fit, I assured her that I would tape blocks on the pedals so she could reach them. That's another project that got shot down.:rolleyes: Bummer about the donuts. Um.....never mind. :D

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ya think I can mount a couple motors on a pair and go boating that way?
Tall, you just gave me an idea. when i get the other honda 2hp put back together, i will have to set both up as twins on the portabote and shoot pix, just to make Jas feel all warm inside

:) Oh man!! that would really get a laugh!! I'd like to see that too. Maybe take a dowel and a couple rubber bands and join the tiller handles together.:cool: