I'm new and hooked on tinny Starcrafts

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I'm new and hooked on tinny Starcrafts

the reason i like the $400 Mariner so much is that 1) it's local and you could pick it up this weekend; 2) it's a steal at that $ even allowing for salt usage; and 3) a Mariner would be a LOT easier to redo than a holiday or SS, not really much more work than a 14', cuz you don't have to mess with dashes and supports for same....i assume the console could just be dropped onto the new flooring? you guys who have restored holidays and SSs....wasn't the dash one of the hardest parts to redo?

You make some good points. Dash and electrical is pretty tough for a newb. Of course I chose an I/O for my first, that makes it harder.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I pawned all the pledge pins.

That's a bummer. Then where can I get the famous Starmada hat? Or do I have to earn it by being a Starcraft owner/re-builder/restorer?

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OOps, double post

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the reason i like the $400 Mariner so much is that 1) it's local and you could pick it up this weekend; 2) it's a steal at that $ even allowing for salt usage; and 3) a Mariner would be a LOT easier to redo than a holiday or SS, not really much more work than a 14', cuz you don't have to mess with dashes and supports for same....i assume the console could just be dropped onto the new flooring? you guys who have restored holidays and SSs....wasn't the dash one of the hardest parts to redo?

If I could choose the SS over the Mariner, that's what I would do because I like to cruse and ski more than fish down here in Southern TX.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If I could choose the SS over the Mariner, that's what I would do because I like to cruse and ski more than fish down here in Southern TX.

In that case an SS would be an excellent match for ya!:)

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I say go for the Islander... Why not start big?

I like your attitude rheagler!! Yeah , I'm not a newbie like I my have suggested by calling myself "new" .I'm new to this site and threading or however you say it. I was the carpentry foreman for Pearson Yachts down here in League City back in the late 70's. I guess that's why I like the Tinnies so much more. I eat a lot of fiberglass dust in those days and I'm allergic to it.(who isn't?) I also was a witness to how those boats were built. To me,they seemed to have had very little regard for the possibility of serious damage "if" water ever reached the framing structure. Build it and sell it. That's all they seemed to want. I'm confident that I have the skills but I lack engine, electrical, and drive-line knowledge.The demo and carpentry is what I know and enjoy. Nice chattin with ya.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In that case an SS would be an excellent match for ya!:)

Yeah, Jas I've been lookin but it seems folks know when to hang on to a good thing. If they do want to part with one, they want an arm and a leg for it. I plan to go to the great beyond with all my parts. ( minus the tonsils )

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

To me,they seemed to have had very little regard for the possibility of serious damage "if" water ever reached the framing structure.

I think that's what confuses me the most too. If/when water goes sub deck, then what? Pretty much, it sits, and rots.

Anyhoo...

I'm really glad I started with a big boat first! It was kinda like taking your medicine ya know. When I started on the Jet everything was sooo much faster and easier. Shoot, just getting in and out of the boat took a fraction of the time, eh!

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

. Shoot, just getting in and out of the boat took a fraction of the time, eh!

I've got that covered. I'm 6'-10" . All I have to do is step over and I'm in. My wife, on the other hand, would need a tall ladder. I don't own one. Never had a use for one. I guess if I'm gonna "let" her help me I should get one.

Jas, it was nice to finally see that engine in. I'm glad you went with longer lags. 5" is good....... 6" is gooder !! :D I'm with ya through this build. If ya need me to find anything or look anything up. let me know, ok? Have a great week. Better than last week.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

6' 10"? Smokes! Do you have to wear a helmet walking around or what???

Cheers man:)

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How did you know?? The FAA insists that I display a flashing light on top of my helmet any time I'm outside. :D. It was kinda embarrassing at first but ya get used to it after a while. It's the darn birds landing on my shoulders that bothers me the most. But even that is a blessing around Thanksgiving. If ya know what I mean. :rolleyes:

barato2

Commander

then you really need the Starmada hat. all the low flying birds and other obstructions will move out of your way in fear at the sight of the 'mada wavin oars n torches. yeah, there are plenty more hats, contact MichaelP.

there's also the early warning you get of rain, compared to shorter folks.:cool:

keep us posted on your boat search, i'm sure we'll have lots of helpful (??????) input. and since your choices will likely be salt water boats unless you travel, read InMotion's thread for what to look out for on hulls.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Talltx, if you really like that Islander I think you should seek out it's owner and make an offer that you're comfortable with. You've got nothing to lose. Besides, we all need a few more resto threads to follow!

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

barato, thanks for the lead on the hat. I'll have to have it Scotch guard treated before I ware it outside.:D Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't live in the desert. My early warning system wasn't appreciated as much.I'm looking at lots of boats but I can't afford them right now.
That doesn't stop me from looking though. I figure it will help me recognize a bargain when I see one.I agree with you about tinnies near the coast, but if ya look closely, the boat in the photos above came from Illinois. I'm not even sure they used it much down here.Latter:)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey talltx, A former Houstonian here. I found a few in your area

I don't know what your price range is but I found an 18' SS in San Antonio. Only 3-4 hours on I-10. http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/2820599774.html

A Mariner in Rosenberg (where I lived) A little more $ http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2806284928.html

A CC in Magnolia $400 http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/2813507151.html

You may have already seen these. But extra eyes help sometimes. How far are you willing to travel? LA, OK and AR aren't far for the right deal. Good luck.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Talltx, if you really like that Islander I think you should seek out it's owner and make an offer that you're comfortable with. You've got nothing to lose. Besides, we all need a few more resto threads to follow!

Rheagler, yeah, I would like nothing more than to start a resto right now.......but........no money and no place to work on her.:( I hope that will change very soon but I'm not holding my breath. So you might wonder, "What are you doing on this site then"? The answer is I like boats and boat people. I want to learn and along the way, be an encourager to the folks who are in the process of a resto.latter:)

64osby

Admiral

talltx, That Mariner would be a great boat for cruising and such. I have a 21' Mariner, main uses are cruising, tubing and skiing. I'm very good a drowning worms, not good at catching fish.

One consideration for you is the leg room in an SS. You might be better off with a center console, big bench seat, lets the wife sit next to you, and you still have leg room.

Here's a pic of ours, I picked up a used flip back bench seat to replace the captains chair, it will be getting installed in the spring.

Long Lake-20110815-00036.jpg

Just a note I'm 6'4 and my old 16' boat wasn't comfortable, I always sat with my knee on the seat and my butt on the gunnel. There wasn't enough leg and knee room.

Welcome to the site and good luck in your quest for a Starcraft.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well howdy GA. Man, that first one is purdy!! Yeah, read my post to bareto and you'll see what kind of predicament I'm in. But thanks just the same for your efforts. I'll keep looking until things change and I have some money saved. I live in Stafford. I know you must know where that is. So why did you leave and was it a good move for you? Latter:)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well Tex, I lived in The Meadows and Sugar Land as well for a few years - So I know where Stafford is. I was posting while you were answering barato, saw it after mine posted. I know no money for toys. LOL I left TX in 2004 for a better job - actually a job since I was caught in a NASA budget cut and the contractor I worked for lost a lot of positions. But I'm I lot better off here and retired now so I have time. I do miss the saltwater fishing though.

talltx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

talltx, That Mariner would be a great boat for cruising and such. I have a 21' Mariner, main uses are cruising, tubing and skiing. I'm very good a drowning worms, not good at catching fish.

One consideration for you is the leg room in an SS. You might be better off with a center console, big bench seat, lets the wife sit next to you, and you still have leg room.

Here's a pic of ours, I picked up a used flip back bench seat to replace the captains chair, it will be getting installed in the spring.

View attachment 131151

Just a note I'm 6'4 and my old 16' boat wasn't comfortable, I always sat with my knee on the seat and my butt on the gunnel. There wasn't enough leg and knee room.

Welcome to the site and good luck in your quest for a Starcraft.

Hey 64, good to hear from you. Wow!! that's a nice boat you built. The Boston whaler I had also had the flip-back seat and there was room for two on it. I really liked that feature. My Dad is 6'-5" and he and I could sit together. Yeah, the lack of leg room is a problem with smaller boats. Windshield hight is a problem too. NOW I know where my hairline went.:rolleyes: Thanks for the welcome and in good time I'll be a Starman too. Latter:)