If you have high charge voltage, please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

john from md

Commander
Re: If you have high charge voltage, please read

No, I don't believe it will. I believe that is for smaller bikes that don't have a starter and large battery.

You need the one illustrated at this site.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/SnowRegs.html

The part number is 01-090-1. I have found them as low as $40 by shopping around on the net.

Desertsky

Seaman

It is the nature of silicone.

Silicone? Them things have rubber in them?

An EE SHOULD know that it is SILICON. You may have graduated from a top three school, but that doesn't equate to how well you know the subject.

A PROPERLY sized and mounted regulator/battery system will be more reliable than a non-regulated system. Period. The amount of heat a regulator has to dissipate is irrelavent because the regulator is DESIGNED to operate under those conditions.

Also, your arguement about regulators only being necessary to protect other electronics in the system is not valid as lead-acid batteries have a low internal resistance and over-voltage conditions will cause the battery to overheat and boil the electrolyte. Even old cars with NO electronics still had regulators. They were crude relays that controlled charge voltage by feedback of battery voltage. The only time you can reliably get away without regulating charge voltage with these batteries is if your charging system is sufficienty weak that is cannot supply damaging currents once the battery is charged (current limited chargers).

Here is another way to look at it:

The longer the recharge time (lower charging voltage), the lower the overcharge rate, and the better it is for the battery. Conversely, the shorter the recharge time (higher charging voltage), the higher the overcharge and the harsher the condition for the battery.

I didn't graduate from a top three school, but I am NASA certified in these areas.

RRitt

Captain

old cars had altrernators that put out 35-50Amps. Silicone is destroyerd by heat which is why you smell that smell. heat = volts x amps. If the stator puts out 10A at 18V and the regulator takes it down to 13.5V then the regulator has to dump 45watts of heat. A rectifier would have to dump off 7watts. most outboard regulators end up bolted to the engine block or some other piece of metal warmed by engine heat. they are not built to be mounted onto hot engines. Your risk of being stuck in the middle of the gulf because your snowmobile regulator burned out is exceptionally greater than your risk of having a battery get cooked in a single day by your outboard stator. I don't care if my cheap walmart battery only last seven years instead of eight. I would rather get home at night.

Desertsky

Seaman

Your battery may not get cooked in a single day but the damage is cumulative. Day after day of overcharging damages the battery.

And PLEASE learn to spell SILICON!

RRitt

Captain

Your battery may not get cooked in a single day but the damage is cumulative. Day after day of overcharging damages the battery.

And PLEASE learn to spell SILICON!

yes. exactly. that is the point. you'll know that your battery is going bad long before it leaves you starnded in the middle of an ocean. not so with a regulator.

I will try to pay attention to spelling on your behalf.

J.avant

Seaman

HI...I'm having a charging problem, my voltage is 14.50 all the time Idle 14.50 2500 rpm 14.50.

Will this regulator work on a 1997 75 hp Force? Only thing I know about this engine is that it has a 15 amp stator. This year engine has a CDM instead of a cdi, so can I make the change to the universal regulator ?

Thanks,John

Desertsky

Seaman

yes. exactly. that is the point. you'll know that your battery is going bad long before it leaves you starnded in the middle of an ocean. not so with a regulator.

I will try to pay attention to spelling on your behalf.

My gosh, even faced with overwhelming data (EVERY modern charging system in the world), you still cling to your misguided ideas! I don't believe that you graduated from a top three school.

Desertsky

Seaman

HI...I'm having a charging problem, my voltage is 14.50 all the time Idle 14.50 2500 rpm 14.50.

Will this regulator work on a 1997 75 hp Force? Only thing I know about this engine is that it has a 15 amp stator. This year engine has a CDM instead of a cdi, so can I make the change to the universal regulator ?

Thanks,John

Looks like your system already has a voltage regulator. 14.5 is a good nominal voltage for charging a 12v battery.

john from md

Commander

Will the moderator please delete the posts relating to the bickering between a couple of posters. :mad:

This sticky was made to help people that had malfunctioning charging systems.

Take the bickering some place else! :p

RRitt

Captain

My gosh, even faced with overwhelming data (EVERY modern charging system in the world), you still cling to your misguided ideas! I don't believe that you graduated from a top three school.

don't you get it?
I don't care if my battery burns up. It is cheap. It is disposable. And most importantly it gives me a ton of advance warning. There is no chance of a Force battery going from good to bad while you are on the water. Let's get real. These are recreational boats with Force engines. Nobody is going to take them across the Pacific by choice. A one week vacation is the longest trip they will ever see.

What I do care about is that my engine starts every single time that I turn the key. Using a snowmobile regulator decreases the odds of that happening. SiliconE should be operated in the 70C or less temperature range. You're strapping a little heatsink onto a hot engine and asking it to dump off 45w of heat. Pretty Darn Stupid. I can't believe how many imbeciles think they are making their boat more reliable by putting cheap regulators on them. It just ain't so. There are tons of pictures of burned out regulators and no pictures of burned out rectifiers on this forum. Why do you think that is? Could it be from trying to dump off 40-70Watts while mounted to a hot engine? Well, DUH!

Odds of me having to be towed home because I did not buy a new battery even though I had weeks of warning? Zero

Odds of me having to be towed home because a regulator burned out without any warning? Once every 10-15 years

I'll take the battery.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just found this thread after discovering that my 1983 Force 85 is pumping out 18.0 volts at WOT. My trim motor as well as the Humminbird Matrix 17 didnt appreciate the extra voltage. Ironically it was the Humminbird that showed me the high voltage. Obviously I want to regulate this down. I think you have a great fix. Thank you to the original poster for starting this thread.

john from md

Commander

Glad to be of assistance.

Now that you found Iboats, don't be a stranger and also try to help out fellow boaters that have problems.

Regards,

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how many people go out and run WOT for 8 hours straight every weekend? If you do that then by all means get a regulator. If you go for an hour then idle about for a while a good battery on healthy wiring will not have any issues. Putting in a $40 voltage regulator so that your $35 walmart battery will last 78 months instead of 72 just doesn't seem like a bright idea. That's like buying an extended protection plan from Best Buys that costs more than the TV.

You're missing an important point. Some of today's electronics will shut themselves off if they receive an over volt condition so even though we're not running around all day at WOT, some stuff doesnt like the high voltage at all. My Humminbird Matrix 17 sure didn't appreciate it and even told me so. My trim motor didn't want to operate properly on the higher voltage either. That one I don't quite get but as soon as I reduced voltage it operated fine.
I dont understand why you care if people solve their problem with a $45 regulator.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi John,

I'm not a stranger to iboats forums and I help anyone I can. I just placed an order for a regulator from SledParts. It's nice to find that I have run into a common problem for once and that there is a well researched and proven fix for once!

I'm sorting out a 1972 Glastron GT-150 that I mounted the 1983 Force 85 to and this is something I'll be able to cross off the list in short order.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

...... There are tons of pictures of burned out regulators and no pictures of burned out rectifiers on this forum. Why do you think that is? Could it be from trying to dump off 40-70Watts while mounted to a hot engine? Well, DUH!.....

Just for reference, the Force engines typically run around 110-120* F. Not especially hot, and probably a lot cooler than the air cooled motors these regulators were designed for. I could run the old Force all day, and still put my hand on the head with no problem. Outboards do not run as hot as snowmobile motors, or even as hot as auto motors. They are one of the coolest running motors in production.

RRitt

Captain

I dont understand why you care if people solve their problem with a $45 regulator.

for some people the solution is worse than the problem. I only objected when someone said putting a $35 regulator on a Force would make your charging system more reliable. It won't. For some people never having a dead battery is more important than protecting their fish finder. If you fish in the ocean then a dead battery can mean life or death. I do not think it is proper to deceive people about such things.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The point of the thread was how to modernize the Force motors with Voltage Regulators. No one is forcing it down your throat like Obama did his health care program. So chill.

Some people like to "upgrade" the old machine with newer technology as part of their boating "hobby" (for lack of a better description).

Some people need the regulator for accessory electronic equipment.

That means that arguing the merits of the upgrade for specific applications (be it battery life, electronices, or just for the fun of it) is pretty moot.

The fact is the application as it is described works as described.

END OF STORY.

Take your piddly assed nit picking down the hall.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have already received the regulator from Sledparts.com! Fast service and it's a good looking potted unit. $53 delivered. I just came in from installing it this morning and will go test it this afternoon.

Marty
http://www.martyhammersmith.com

john from md

Commander

How can it be that in Ohio you are getting ready to go out in your boat, when here in Maryland (42*) I am putting my boat on the blocks for winter.:confused:

Can it be that you folks in Ohio are part eskimo?:rolleyes:

I'm sure you will be happy with a regulator. My batteries are in much better shape and I haven't blown up a radio or depthfinder in some time. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.