If you have high charge voltage, please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: If you have high charge voltage, please read

hehe, Hi John. Yeah, really went to the lake today. I took the boat to Brookville Lake in Brookville, Indiana. Water temp is still 59 degrees and air temp was 57 so it wasn't bad. The regulator works great. I never saw a voltage over 14.5 volts. However, the tach readings are all messed up now. I'm guessing something backfeeds from the reg? Has anyone seen this after installing the regulator? I'm wondering if maybe a diode between the green/yellow/tach wire and the yellow wire on the regulator would clean this up?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Try attaching the tach wire to the other yellow stator lead. Seen this fix several tach issues after converting from the old standard full wave bridge rectifier to the regulator/rectifier set up.

john from md

Commander

I agree with PNW boat. I don't know why this happens as you are getting AC voltage from the stator so it shouldn't matter which yellow lead you hook up to. However, I have found that it does matter as one lead makes the tach jump around and the other doesn't as much. I still think it jumps more than with a rectifier hook up but don't know why.

Maybe an electronic genius with a Bayliner will figure it out some day.;)

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tach wire is hooked up to the same AC line it came from. Do you still think I should change it? It's not jumping around, it's simply wrong. It was hanging around 1800rpm even though I was running more like 4500.

john from md

Commander

Yes, I would try the other wire. Mostly the ones I have installed will jump around some when on the wrong wire. I can't really recall one just reading low. It is just a simple wire swap so I would go ahead and try it if you want the tach to be useful.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, the weather forcast suggests I might get one more shot of reasonable weather next weekend to try again. I'll move the tach wire to the other yellow lead. To be clear, you are suggesting I keep the tach wire and the original yellow/green wire from the stator it was attached to together but move them both to the other yellow wire on the regulator?

I have a couple unrelated squawks tend to as well so I'd like to get one more run on the lake to try all three repairs before it turns miserable.

RRitt

Captain

A lot of cheap regulators use a half wave bridge for the front end. I don't know if this extends beyond the electronics world and into the snowmobile world. But if it did then one or both of the yellow wires could give wrong tach readings. Anything would be possible from a simple half speed to a severe case of the jitters. Holding hard and fast at one reading regardless of actual engine RPM does not seem like a reasonable possibility. Something would need to be mis-wired or broken. IF a cheap regulator does use a half wave front end when hooked up to a stator AND the stator does not have a center tap (common ground) THEN the regulator would need to assert ground reference onto one of the leads. This could make one yellow wire work and one not.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

In the few examples that I have been involved in to fix the problem, the only wire that was moved was the tach wire itself. Didn't move the yellow regulator/rectifier wire.

john from md

Commander

Just as PNW has said, just move the tach signal wire to the other yellow lead.

RRitt

Captain

In the few examples that I have been involved in to fix the problem, the only wire that was moved was the tach wire itself. Didn't move the yellow regulator/rectifier wire.

what I was trying to say is that even though the two yellow wires are identical to the stator they may not be handled the same way inside the regulator. This could make one yellow wire work and the other not. If so, then maybe you could just flip regulator leads if thats easier to reach.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what I was trying to say is that even though the two yellow wires are identical to the stator they may not be handled the same way inside the regulator. This could make one yellow wire work and the other not. If so, then maybe you could just flip regulator leads if thats easier to reach.

Yes, I get what you are saying. Thats why I was asking about potential feedback through the yellow lead. There's no telling whats going on inside the box. Ill switch just the tach wire and see what happens. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.