Idiot Robertson

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Idiot Robertson

Not a biblical expert myself, but have to throw in my 0.02. Jesus said turn the other cheek, instead of... an eye for an eye "from the old testement" prior to christianity... Don't know how you can misinterpret that, seems pretty clear he wasn't talking only about eyes and cheeks. Ken you got it wrong, there was no fighting back when it came crucifiction time for Christ, might say practicing what you preach. Robertson as a Chritian leader has missed something along the way, and I agree he is an idiot. <br /><br />That said, I'm not a perfect Christian, and I am fine with killing those who intend me harm, but I won't try and twist Christianity to make it look like god is with me on this... Twisting Christianity to condone killing others sounds alot like the methods used by the extremist Muslums.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

My opinion, for what it's worth, "turn the other cheek" is about forgiveness; forgiveness doesn't mean subjecting yourself to further abuse. Jesus didn't fight back at crucifiction time because he had reconciled himself that it was God's will; I don't think that means it's God's will for Christians to not fight back under any circumstances. Heads of State are sometimes required to take actions that Heads of Church would never do. Robertson should decide which he wants to be and stick to it.

D

DJ

TXS wrote:<br /><br />
Most Biblical battles were by instructions from God to wipe out the infidels and immoral people of the world, SOUND FAMILIAR.
Yep, sure does. That's EXACTLY what we are doing.<br /><br />I agree with JB's comments.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> Most Biblical battles were by instructions from God to wipe out the infidels and immoral people of the world, SOUND FAMILIAR.
I don't think so...only ones I can recall were territorial in nature, or about gaining freedom from slavery. As I recall, when God wanted immoral people wiped out, He did it Himself.

aspeck

Staff member

I agree with what JB said in this post. As for the original statement, I personally think Pat Roberson was off base. When I first heard it my thoughts were, "oh no, this is going to get ugly." Although this comment of his was idiotic in my view, I would not say that Pat Robertson is an idiot.<br /><br />I would like to know why he said what he said, although the fact that I haven't heard a retraction from him or an apology yet let's one believe that he meant exactly what he said.<br /><br />Is Chavez evil and trouble for the US? Yes. Should we resort to terroristic threats? NO. We as a country need to be better than that if we want credibility.

D

DJ

So called, self appointed, Christian speakers DO NOT always speak for Christians.<br /><br />Contrary to POPULAR belief, we actually have functioning brains. Your "stereotypes" will be your downfall.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

This is what I'd like to do with Pat Robertson.<br /><br /><br />
dogbert.gif

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

My opinion.<br /><br />Pat Robertson and his ilk are psychotic zealots, their interests are selfserving and has little or nothing to do in the cause of true christianity.

D

DJ

mrbscott19.<br /><br />Cute.<br /><br />Have you ever tried it?? <br /><br />Didn't think so.

PW2

Commander

At least when Robertson was calling for more openings on the supreme court, he wasn't openly calling for assassinations of the current justices. At least I don't think he was.<br /><br />He was praying that God would take care of it, I suppose.<br /><br />But Chavez was elected. That's the problem with democracies. They have elections, and sometimes the wrong people win. We should be familiar with that.<br /><br />And of course you can justify almost any form of human behavior with some passage of the bible, as can radical Muslims with the Koran. It is why it is critically important to keep religion, and religious leaders, out of the political arena. It is difficult enough to deal with ration and logic as it is--it is impossible when God gets involved.

D

DJ

PW2,<br /><br />Why I even respond is against all better judgement.<br /><br />However, you're such an easy target. I can't help myself.<br /><br />
He was praying that God would take care of it, I suppose.<br />
Ever tried it? REALLY? Not in in times of panic?<br /><br />
And of course you can justify almost any form of human behavior with some passage of the bible, as can radical Muslims with the Koran.<br />/QUOTE] <br /><br />NOWHERE in the BIBLE does it say to KILL the "non believers". Try reading both and then report back.

treedancer

Commander

1) "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." <br />2) "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image," <br />3) "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain;" <br />4) "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." <br />5) "Honor thy father and thy mother:" <br />6) thou shalt not kill 6) "Thou shalt not kill." <br />7) "Thou shalt not commit adultery" <br />8) "Thou shalt not steal." <br />9) "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor." <br />10) "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house,.....nor anything that is thy neighbor's

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> PW2,<br /><br />Why I even respond is against all better judgement.<br /><br />However, you're such an easy target. I can't help myself.....
hehehe, If for nothing else this provided humor to me :)

D

DJ

Treedancer,<br /><br />Typical "unread" Bible scholar response.<br /><br />God supported many wars, giving the "believers" a hand up.<br /><br />NOWHERE (Bible)does it say to KILL the non believers, on an individual basis. War aside. <br /><br />My original point, as you so conveniently glossed, over. The Koran vehemently calls for the "death" of non followers. Read it and report back.<br /><br />Debating the ignorant is a waste of time.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by grandx:<br /> Not a biblical expert myself, but have to throw in my 0.02. Jesus said turn the other cheek, instead of... an eye for an eye "from the old testement" prior to christianity... Don't know how you can misinterpret that, seems pretty clear he wasn't talking only about eyes and cheeks. Ken you got it wrong, there was no fighting back when it came crucifiction time for Christ, might say practicing what you preach. Robertson as a Chritian leader has missed something along the way, and I agree he is an idiot. <br /><br />
Grandx, the preist explained it like this in his sermon at my church.<br /><br />We are to turn the other cheek until out exsistence is threatened, then we are to fight.<br /><br />If you remember, there was a small fight when the Romans captured Jesus, and ear was cut off, but Jesus stopped it. He wanted to die for the greater good. That is the only time we are allowed to sacrifice our selves, only when it is for the greater good.<br /><br />Ken

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

This guy represents the extreme on the right. Most intelligent conservatives don't take this guy seriously at all. Fortunatley the right-wing is able to weed out and separate from those who spit fire, whereas I fear the democratic party is aligning itself to the extreme left more and more these days.

txswinner

Banned

BrettNC, Movement in the Democractic party is not moving left but actually to moderates. No one follows Ted Kennedy or the ding dong woman from Ca. Does that mean everyone should run to be a Demo, I hope not cause then we are done.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I respect the fact that you recognize this txswinner.<br /><br />But I don't think thats the case.<br /><br />Sheehan is being taken so seriously she is plastered all over CNN all day. She is still a big part of the news cycle. A whole lot of people are following her.<br /><br />Then there's Richard Durbin with his crazy and extreme remarks regarding Abu Ghraib. Durbin is the Democratic whip, the second highest position in the party leadership in the Senate.<br /><br />I don't see any indication that the democratic party is becoming moderate.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Brett.<br /><br />Please do not confuse amount of media coverage with the importance of an event before the fact.<br /><br />The media regularly makes trivial events important with its coverage and trivializes important events with its non-coverage.