iboats...how, when & where.

Carphunter

Commander
Seeing the 50,000 member thread got me to thinking how I came to become an iboats member, and I was wondering why many of you came here, (and stayed).<br /><br />I had just bought my new, (used), Dynatrak with my Johnson 115. The motor was running horrible, and I was in the mood to try to fix it myself. After several failed attempts, I began browsing the internet, and found iboats. I became a member so I could post some questions that I had. It amazed me how many people responded in such a positive manner, and how much good information I received. Soon afterward, the 'ol Johnson was purring like a kitten.<br />I enjoyed many of the people so much, that I stuck around. <br />I have always had very little technical advice to give, but I sure enjoy conversing with many of the registered members here. I feel I have developed friendships with some folks whom I may never meet. ............and I will say, this is the only site that I post to on a somewhat regular basis.<br /><br />Someone may have asked this question before, if so, then I apologize, but I am curious how some of you stumbled upon this site.<br /><br />Have a fine day. :)

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: iboats...how, when & where.

I bought an old flat bottom with a Montgomery ward motor on it.........Never heard of them before and somehow came across Iboats. Got some great advise and stayed for the friendships.

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

Purchased a good used bass boat first one and had a little trouble with the engine so I did a google search on boats and found iboats been here ever scents been a great site.

gaugeguy

Captain

Was researching a problem with a tach and a certain ignition. Found the answer to my problem and I started reading the "Stupid Human Tricks" and LMAO. Joined to share a couple stories and have hung around in the cellar ever since.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

I fianlly broke down and bought another boat after having sold my other one several years ago. Funny thing is, I never had any problems out of the motor for the 3 years I had it. According to what I read on here, I abused that poor thing. <br /><br />Anyway, I searched the internet after buying this boat with a 65 HP Mercury on it for parts. I came across iboats, noticed it had a forum with a mountain of very smart folks that helped me out.<br />A free information site??? It's never heard of anymore, especially on the internet. Everyone wants a buck, but not the iboat forum. <br /><br />Still got my 65, but now I bought a 85HP Johnson. Again, the help I got from here is priceless, let alone the really good people here just to shoot the **** with, like now. <br /><br />Whoops... too long a post!! Think I'm gonna stay a while.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I came here to help my brother with an engine problem he had when he purchased his boat. Immediately got good information from Bondo, and the picked and argument with him. Being the forgiving soul that Bondo is, I was able to not only address the problem from an educated position but came out ahead in the end and had a heaping plate of crow to finish off. Not knowing much about engines, but having worked and serviced boats most of my life, thought I would make some contributions on the boat/seamanship end of things.<br /><br />Thought the people and the format was cool, and stuck around. Since then I have bought a new to me boat and had a bunch of new questions to work on!!!!!!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I bought my first boat back in the spring. I was having some trouble with the engine, and goolged for boat repair. IBoats came up, and I posted a few questions. I got some very good responses, and started reading the forums. I check in every day or so, and find a lot of useful information, and a lot of entertaining posts. <br /><br />It is the only site I post to, and the only one I miss when I am not in front of a computer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I had a tired out old 'Rude 100 on my Whaler and wanted some input on a new 4 stroke from someone not trying to sell me one.<br /><br />Got lots of good advice here, Montauk gave me a blow by blow of his experience and that of his buddies and convinced me that I wanted a Suzi DF70.<br /><br />Found some people asking questions about old small JohnnyRudes that I could answer. The satisfaction of being helpful is very addictive. Been learning and passing on learning since then. Sure would feel useless and alone without it. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

My dad gave me a boat with a '79 Rude 70. Knowing that if it broke down I would have to fix it or park it, I immediately went about searching for all the mtx info on it I could find.<br /><br />Stopped looking when I saw iboats - read all the threads pertaining to my motor; joined when I needed specific advice, and the rest is history.

aspeck

Staff member

Have been boating all my life, but came across iboats when I needed some oil advice. In Ghana I could not find any 2 stroke oil. Needed to find out if I could use straight 30, or if there was something that could be better.<br /><br />Found the advice I needed and a great bunch of guys and gals to "hang out with."

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was having an intermittent problem with starting my Evinrude 115, so did a search on Google for some info on the subject. I was impressed by how knowledgeable and helpful people were here.<br /><br />Obviously this site has a good level of "stickyness". People who find it, tend to stick around. I think it's not only that there is so much help and information on boats, but also there's a great bunch of people here and we have a lot of laughs, conversation...as well as the occasional argument :rolleyes:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I was a regular on another site, frequented by CORM. He had a link to this new site called "iboats", that was simular, but friendlier (or something to that effect),. I checked it out, and liked what I saw---A LOT! And what JB said about "the satifaction of being helpfull being addicting" is very true.Some folks don't appreciate the advice or comradery they receive from this site, but many others do.<br />In short, I found friends.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If you own a Mecury Sport Jet 90, you need iboats.<br /><br />I did a yahoo search and found it. My questions were answered while I fixed my boat. I figured I would stay around to help others. Even made my own website for diagnosiing the Sport jet 90 ignition problems.<br /><br />Found dockside chat was full of educated people that could hold good conversations.<br /><br />Ken

SoulWinner

Commander

I bought my very first boat, it was a 1977 14' Winner with a Johnson 85. First time out I burned the motor up. Well, searching the net for help in rebuilding it I found this place and was given all the info I desperatly needed to fix the old heap. I fixed it and took it out for the second time and some drunk guy at the ramp started a fight with me, and that was it. I pulled the boat straight to a freinds house and gave it to him. <br /><br />So, I guess came for help, and stayed around to do whatever it is that I do here. The reasons that I stay here are many. I love the people. I really like the way the forums are moderated, although I think more of my posts should have been "poofed". I get my daily humor here too. It is just a really great place on the web.

sangerwaker

Commander

Hi my screen name is sangerwaker, and I have an iboats addiction.<br /><br />Ruined my prop one night and was searching the net for some deals. Came across the iboats forum and asked some questions. I was really impressed with both the friendliness and knwledge base here. Have been hanging out since.

rogerwa

Commander

12footer is that other site a site that now charges for the information and had doctor in the name?? If so, I was frequenting that one as well. I recognize Corm's name.. Wasn't he from WI?<br /><br />I initially found this place when I bought my Pontoon in 2001, I beleive. My initial ID was Tooner, I think.. I left and came back as Rogerwa and check this place several times a day. My wife thinks I'm nuts as I relay some of the things that go on here, but there is a certain comraderie even if you are not really a core poster. <br /><br />Does anyone remember the rating system they used to have here? YUou could rate the poster for his/her helpfulness. I was bummed when someone rated my a 1 star for no apparent reason.<br /><br />I enjoy the banter and the social experiment that this forum provides.

Dunaruna

Admiral

rogerwa: ***** post! (thats 5 stars not a swear word)<br /><br />Came looking for boating advise, looked and registered on many different forums but this ones the best by far. I enjoy the fact that its not overly clinical, good advise coupled with good humor.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Aldo

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I was looking for a prop on google... Hit the iboats link.. <br /><br />After I got done lookin' for a prop, I saw "boating forums" up in the top corner.. Being relativly new to puters and the internet, and wondering what a "boating forum" was all about, clicked the link to find out... <br /><br />Got to looking thru the forum and came to a post by Biloxiriver asking about Tigercraft boats, which are very uncommon boats (in fact Biloxiriver has the only other Tigercraft that I know of).. Saw that I might be of some help to him, and Biloxiriver might also be able to help me as my Tigger was a total basket case at the time..<br /><br />Had it not been for that very thread and Biloixrivers reply, I prolly would not have registered and stayed..