iboats...how, when & where.

FSHKPR

Ensign
Re: iboats...how, when & where.

my cousin told me about it when i was having some problems with a motor. got some good advice. and then started reading the stupid human tricks section. been addicted ever since.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

I was looking for a cover for my Sterndrive and Iboats was the only one that had it. Bought the cover and looked around the site to see what else they had. Then found the holy grail of boat advice and decided to stick around. <br /><br />You all have been VERY VERY helpful with all my questions, stupid or not. You guys have been friendly and understanding and for that I would like to say thanks and see around the boards.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Well I used to be a member of an Aussie site called www.fishnet.com.au and the feedback from there about my old Merc went something like..<br />"Crikey.. maate.Those old Mercs are no good.. :( <br />They corrode and you can't get the legs off them<br />Go buy yourself a new Asian Motor and live happily ever after"<br />So I got talking to people like 12footer and JB<br />and even a member called Castaway somebody :D and many since, who convinced me that there IS such thing as an Oldie but Goodie. The iboaters rock..

KennyKenCan

Commander

I was bored at work one day, with nothing to do, so I was surfin the net and came across iboats.<br /><br />The rest is history.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I had searched the web for a windshield for my flying bridge. Seems like everytime I would do a search, iboats kept popping up. Didn't join then, but still continued trying to locate a windshield. Nothing came about so I joined and asked questions. I still don't have a windshield..... Oh well, gotten use to the boat without it. Of course lots of other helpful hints and questions were answered.<br /><br />I must admitt, those members like JB, 12footer, gonfishn, SpinnerBait Nut, Schematic, Bondo, and many others I owe thanks to for becoming a more wiser boater. Thanks to all of you... :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Honestly....I can't remember how I found the site.<br />
27.gif
<br /><br />Anyways....started lookin' around and found the boating forums and DC when it wasn't DC. Thought I could help in the repair forums. Ended up learning and helping. Looked at some other sites with the same senario but none can compare to this one. It's the members and the people that run it that make the difference. And I really think we got the best of both. What ya' might call a "Tight Ship"? <br /> :)

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I needed to rebuild a Sport Jet 120 which was submerged a few years before. When I reassembled it, there were quite a few problems which needed addressing, and I found iboats. I was able to solve my mostly electrical problems (Thanks Kenimpzoom!) Since then, I've been able to give some advice on Mercury and Force 120s and my Johnson 90.<br /><br />I was impressed enough that when I decided to add a tach to my Mirage for the Sport Jet, I shopped here and bought on-line. Great service, quick results!<br /><br />The archives are really great too. When confronted with the sketchy directions for removing my lower unit on the 90 in the Clymer manual, the information found here on the shift rod connection really cut down the frustation time. I finally ended up writing a procedure and tucking it in my manual, because I had the same problem when I replaced the dog clutch and the reverse gear... only I can never remember from year to year what and how I do things. lol<br /><br />I really appreciate too, the gentle way an error is pointed out here, I've been treated with respect, and I think this is one of the most intelligent forums I've ever been around. It is a privilege to lurk, post and research!

f_inscreenname

Commander

Started off looking for parts for that boat over there in the corner. Hit every site on the web looking for a flywheel for a Chrysler small block to a Volvo 270 outdrive (if you do a yahoo search you can still find posts of mine from 4 years ago). On most marine web sites I would leave a post and like most of the posts there it would sit there for days with no response. There was two sites that people would at least give some sort of response even if they didn't have what I needed. Then I got a response from a broker out of NY that had found one in California. I paid through the nose for it but I found it.<br /> I cant remember which of the two sites the guy was on but I liked them both so I stuck around. There wasn't many “speed boaters” on i-boats back then and when I would make a post I would get responses like “that isn't within CG regs” or “I don't want you burning through my fishing hole” as if I would. So I would trust there answers but I would try to leave out about being loud and fast. Then about a year later I could not log into the other site for some reason. I did some research and found in a moment of prudishness they changed my name to “screenname”. Knowing the “other” site couldn't take a joke it was time for me to go. <br />Like I said before “speed boaters” were looked down upon at i-boats but with no where else to go with the same level of expertise I took it upon myself to get a little respect for us “speed boaters” or a least try to help them without telling them they would burn in hell for building a performance boat. They put up with me here even if they didn't like what I had to say (have to respect that). After awhile and about 45,000 new members there is a few more “speed boaters” and the “old guard” that thought I was just some young punk either ignore me or I have learned enough from them that I have there respect. Now I feel obligated to pass on what they gave me. If you do for me I will do for you and i-boats members has done a lot over there years for me so I figure I will have to stick around for at least 20 years to pay it back but by then I will probably owe more time so I think I will have to become a lifetime member. <br /> Don't believe me on how things used to be around here. Check out JB’s first answer to a past post from Feb of 2002. He later apologized and I truly accepted it (trust me I like JB) but back then his was a typical response to a “speed boat” question. <br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002579#000000

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> Honestly....I can't remember how I found the site.<br />
27.gif
Ditto to OBJ. If I could search back to my original post, it might remind me of how I found iboats but, alas, a search only goes back 300 posts.<br /><br />I will say that with all the good help and info, from the good posters here, I might have not taken on my current project. On second thought, maybe I wish I'd never stumbled on to iboats. :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

just as long as f_inscreenname doesn't go burning through my fishin' hole! ;) <br /> :D :D :D <br /><br />Thanks!