I sold a car to an idiot today and he's haunting me

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: I sold a car to an idiot today and he's haunting me

Caviot emptor(let the buyer be ware), tell the guy to go take a hike.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys for the support.<br /><br /> It appears he's backed down now anyway-he went all nice and friendly after I sought the advice of an ex traffic policeman which I forwarded directly to him-that had the car been dangerous then the driver was legally liable for the condition of the car as soon as he drove it and would be the only person liable for prosecution...Doesn't even look like I'm even going to get a negative on ebay for it!<br /><br />Basically caveat emptor here too.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

wow, traffic cops in the U.K. are also licensed to practice law? Impressive!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Nos, <br /><br />Don't you guys have yearly compulsory roadworthy checks?<br /><br />Aldo

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

JT- Traffic cops may not have a licence to practice law but they do tend to know who the police will try and prosecute in the 1st place!<br /><br />Yeah we have yearly checks-it had passed 3 months previously with flying colours and done less than 1000 miles since...

Dunaruna

Admiral

O/k, so don't you need a new certificate to transfer title?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

No- you don't need a certificate at all to transfer ownership.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Then it would seem that caveat emptor applies. Thanks. <br /><br />Aldo

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I once sold a car to somebody that struck me as an idiot, but he paid cash.<br />I got a call from an impound lot a few months later saying they had my car & if I wanted it I should come get it along with $300.<br />I expained I sold it & had the bill of sale.<br />Apparently he never transfered to title or registered the car.<br />Fortunately I never heard any more about it.<br />BTW- He nearly crashed the car, while he was test driving it. One clue to his idiot nature.

NYMINUTE

Captain

2 words come to mind "As Is" period, end of topic.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Did it have a current MOT?. If not he shouldnt have driven it. You are quite right in UK law it is buyer beware. As per the other people stop discussing it with him he's wasting your time. Who has decided it was a death trap? , what was the fault?, how has he proven that it was there prior to the accident?, he also has to prove that you knew that and sold it to him?. From his text and the low value I would say hes chancing his arm if not see him in small claims court. If this does go further I can give you details about how the small claims court works in the UK. Here is an excerpt from the UK sale of goods act 1979<br /><br />Private sales<br />When you buy goods from a private individual, you don't have the same legal rights as buying from a trader. The law says 'let the buyer beware'. You are entitled to expect goods to be 'as described' but none of the other rights above apply.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Chris, my core business is roadworthy inspections, I'm interested in how other countries deal with private car sales.<br /><br />We don't have yearly inspections, the only time a vehicle has to have one is when the title changes hands. For a period of 30 days after the inspection the inspector is legally liable for any subsequent faults (excluding accident damage and subsequent modifications). Are your yearly inspections valid for the full 12 months? What's an MOT?<br /><br />Aldo

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No inspections here at all. We buy them, we assume responsibility for their roadworthyness.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Sorry nos, I figured your subject was done, am I hyjacking?<br /><br />Roscoe, is that nationwide or differs state to state?<br /><br />Aldo

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Aldo,<br /><br />In the UK we have an annual test called an MOT. It is valid for one year but only determines that the car is safe to drive on the day of the test it provides no warrenty, although if you could prove that the tester was negligent and passed your car say without testing it Im sure under civil law you could sue him. The following url gives you information on what exactly is checked. The test is also linked to car tax.We have to display in the car a disc showing we have paid tax. You cant get the disc without insurance and an MOT.<br /><br /> http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/mottestersgarageowners/mottesting/carcomponentstested.htm <br /><br />With regards private car sales all the onus is on the buyer to identify any faults if sold with an MOT you only know on the day of testing it was safe and legal. <br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

Dunaruna

Admiral

Thanks Chris.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

nah you aint hijacking mate carry on :) <br /><br />There was 9 months MOT on it Chris and 4 months road tax. I'm actually quite tempted to go collect the remains as the 1.8TD ford engine's 88hp, would be nice marinised!<br /><br />I just heard he had an engineer look at it-there was nothing wrong with it and still left me a neutral on ebay... what a ****<br /><br />At least it's over now-and I've blocked him from buying from my ebay account.<br /><br />Thanks again for the support guys.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Actually aldo all states have an annual inspection requirement (anybody know of a state that doesn't?) they just check a few things, brakes (parking lot test, not visual inspection), lights, horn, and in certain cities or counties, you have to pass an emmissions test. But it has nothing to do with a sale, and doesn't guarantee roadworthiness. A car without a current inspection sticker can mean high dollar repairs of the emmissions system but that's the biggest downside.<br /><br />p.s. Nos, sorry you had to deal with that, but from his point of view, assuming the Motorway Maint guy really told him that, it was the only straw he had to grasp at. Kinda feel sorry for him, blowing his savings & wrecking it on the way home. Let's all observe a moment of silence in sympathy for the poor slob...okay, that's enough. :D

sangerwaker

Commander

jtexas, MN has no annual tests. We used to have to pass an emission tests when we renewed our tabs, but they did away with that a few years ago.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

No state test in Tenn. Some counties have one.