I need iboats Members' help! (UPDATED)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: I need iboats Members' help! (UPDATED)

Yes, an outboard w/boat<br /><br />85% fish<br />15%cruise and hang out with wifee and the Grandbaby :D

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sterndrive<br /><br />ski/ tube/ cruise

wetboy86

Seaman Apprentice

there are a lot of veriables here.<br /><br />yes I have an outboard/ also an inboard.<br /><br />If I am in the O/B I will definatlly fish some. but there will also be some hanging out cruzing and partying.<br /><br />If I am in the I/B its watersports with hanging out cruzing and partying.no fishing.<br /><br />so if you looking for a constant it would be cruzing, hanging out partying!<br /><br />hell just put me down as<br />yes<br />fish

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

O/B yes; use, 100% fishing. Working a boat to use for crusing next year.<br /><br />With all this help a "A" should be a lock!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

1. Do you own a boat with an outboard motor?<br />Own two.<br />2. On an average day of boating are you usually FISHING or do you Ski/tube/hang out in the sun? mainly fishing, which often turns-into hanging out in the sun. But that really depends on the cooperation, or lack therof, of the fish.<br /><br />Don't like the sun in the summer, so most of my boating is in the fall/sprng/winter months.

dolluper

Captain

4 boats outbooards<br />boat 1 85hp skiing no fishing<br />boat 2 9.5hp only fishing<br />boat 3 50hp cruiseing fishing some times<br />boat 4 50hp hydro just wacky flying speed no fishing

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes three outboards and two boats(only because the wife won't let me buy anymore)<br /><br />50/50 Fishing/cruising and swimming

Skinnywater

Commander

1. Do you own a boat with an outboard motor?
Yes, NorthRiver Revenge, BF50jet.<br />
2. On an average day of boating are you usually FISHING or do you Ski/tube/hang out in the sun?
We Fish for sure, but really enjoy just hanging out. :cool:

eeboater

Commander

Thank you everyone for your answers and participation. I'm going to have to stop the collection now so I can start crunching numbers. I'll let you know how it goes.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />Sean

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

I'll answer anyway EE:<br /><br />1. Outboard<br /><br />2. Tubing? What's tubing? :p

i rowboat

Cadet

1) i/o and o/b, starting to prefer the o/b<br />2) If you count crabbing as fishing, 90% of the time, 10% hanging out.<br /><br />Hope you get that A!

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have 1 boat with 2 outboards<br />98% fish<br />2% other

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Qs 1/ No I have an I/O<br /><br />Qs 2/ 80% fishing, 20% hanging out in the sun/moon waiting to go fishing again.<br /><br />Even if I missed the cut off. :D <br /><br />GR

eeboater

Commander

Alrighty, here is my report. Thank you to everyone who responded! By the way, I got an 'A' on my report as well as an 'A' in the class :D <br /><br />--------------------------------------------<br /><br />Introduction<br /><br />I decided to test whether the proportion of people who like to fish and own boats with outboard motors is larger than the proportion of people who do not like to fish and own boats with outboard motors. Ever since I was young, I have had a great interest in boating and spending recreational time on the water. Even though I enjoyed spending time on the water, I never enjoyed fishing. As the number of hours I spent on the water slowly increased over the years, I began to observe that the majority of boats dedicated to fishing seemed to have outboard motors. I always found this intriguing which is what lead me to test the proportions stated above.<br /><br />Experimental Design<br /><br />Since the data I was in search of is located in a very niche group, I decided to concentrate my data collection in one area that I knew would have people who would have the ability to answer my survey questions. I belong to a web-based maritime forum which was ranked #48 in Inc. 500’s Fastest Growing Private companies of 20041, http://www.iboats.com. Within the “Dockside Chat2” section of the iboats.com forums, I asked the following questions:<br /><br />1. Do you own a boat with an outboard motor?<br />2. On an average day of boating, are you usually FISHING or do you ski/tube/hang in the sun, i.e. something other than fishing?<br /><br />The forum members who participated in the survey answered each of the questions providing me with the data to generate my conclusions. I also set a cutoff time where I stopped collecting the data.<br /><br />Data Summary<br /><br />After finalizing the data collection I came up with the following results:<br /><br />-------------------Like to Fish----Do Not Like to fish<br />Outboard Owners---------44--------------20<br />Total Respondents-------49--------------33<br /><br />Of the 49 people who responded that they like to fish, 44 of them turned out to be outboard motor owners. Meanwhile, of the 33 people who responded that they do not like to fish, 20 of them ended up being outboard motor owners.<br /><br /> <br />Analysis<br /><br />I found that 89.80% of people who like to fish are outboard owners while 60.6% of people who do not like to fish are outboard owners. I then performed a hypothesis test to see if these data show that the proportion of people who like to fish and own a boat with an outboard motor is higher than the proportion of people who do not like to fish and own a boat with an outboard motor. When I performed the hypothesis test, I chose to use people who like to fish as group 1 and people who do not like to fish as group 2. I chose α = 0.05. The hypotheses used in the test were:<br /><br />H0: p1 = p2<br />H1: p1 > p2<br /><br />Before I could come up with the observed test statistic, I had to locate the proportions needed to perform the calculations. To locate the pooled estimate of the common population proportion p:<br /><br />phat = (44+20)/(49+33) = 64/82 = 0.780487805<br /><br />I then calculated the proportions for the two samples.<br /><br />phat1 = 44/49 = 0.897959184<br /><br />phat2 = 20/33 = 0.606060606<br /><br />Next, I calculated the Observed Test Statistic:<br /><br />z = (0.897959184-0.606060606)/(SQRT(0.780487805*(1-0.780487805)*((1/49)+(1/33))) = 3.131610030<br /><br />The z-score of 3.131610030 provided me with a p-value of 0.00086932019 which is much less than my stated significance level of 0.05. Therefore, I reject the null hypothesis (H0) and state that the proportion of people who like to fish and own boats with outboard motors is larger than the proportion of people who do not like to fish and own boats with outboard motors.<br /><br /><br />--------------------------------------------<br /><br />So what did I find out? Pretty much what we already knew. People who fish... have outboards :D

KaGee

Admiral

That last part scrambled my brain... too much info! :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. Drowned Rat and I could have told you that. :D

eeboater

Commander

Yep. I could have told myself that. Just not with all the fancy numbers. Guess it was worth the $1,080 to take the class, right?<br /><br />Sean