I knew the job market was bad, but WOW!!!!

blackhorse

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I knew the job market was bad, but WOW!!!!

Not trying to inflame anyone but whats minimum wage down there. Up here in Canada it,s (I think) around $9-$13 an hour depending in what province you live in. To be offered $12 an hour for all those qualification is out to lunch for sure.

WOW! Now I know why all Canadians are rich.

rt_hawley

Seaman

WOW! Now I know why all Canadians are rich.

Uh huh...we're rich all right..our minimum wage has to be high in order to afford the cost of living. It's a vicious circle. I'd much rather make less money if I paid less for services. We currently pay close to $5 a gallon for gas. A package of cigarettes costs $12..I'm not a drinker but I'm sure that a 24 of beer is over $30. We're taxed thru the arse for everything you can imagine and everyday items just generally cost more in Canada. Not as rosy as it seems.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Uh huh...we're rich all right..our minimum wage has to be high in order to afford the cost of living. It's a vicious circle. I'd much rather make less money if I paid less for services. We currently pay close to $5 a gallon for gas. A package of cigarettes costs $12..I'm not a drinker but I'm sure that a 24 of beer is over $30. We're taxed thru the arse for everything you can imagine and everyday items just generally cost more in Canada. Not as rosy as it seems.

Don't feel all alone. We're getting there.

Bigprairie1

Commander

You are not wrong on most comments here RT. However.....when you have the largest (arguably) country in the world supported by a small population (33,000,000)....everyone involved in living here is going to have to fork out more money to run a quality operation, particularly when you have to deal with a very expansive and diverse geography. As an example...say I wanted to drive across Canada to visit 'Tall Canadian'...the trip would be almost 8000 km (5000 miles) across the country. Everyone wants a road to their town, everyone wants a hospital, everyone wants cheap power, everyone wants clean water, etc, etc. :rolleyes:
Europes challenge is dealing with it's history and ours is dealing with our geography.
Anywhoooo, as for the minimum wage stuff....it could be higher maybe....but the bigger challenge right now is getting the balance in cost of living I suppose. Thats always the downside when you have a strong economy.....everyone gets in on exploiting it at some angle, realtors, business people, vendors, etc.:facepalm:
Interesting thread tho'.
All Good
BP:)

jkust

Rear Admiral

MSP is a nice town, I lived in ND for awhile and we'd go down to MSP now and then to get away, I'd live there in a heartbeat. The winter doesn't bother me.

We love the winter. The more snow and cold, the better. Just when I get tired of boating, I pull the snowmobiles out, the kids can sled, skate on the pond and we get to actually use our 4wd a lot. I think our winter keeps people away because yes it doesn't get much colder in the continental U.S. than here. If people only knew how good we have it, they'd buy some warm cloths, and move up here. Some of the downsides though from our friends who relocated here from down south is how much less house you get for the money. A gated community home in the south such as Atlanta equates to a normal, middle class home here or so I understand from friends. I've also had collegues move here not quite realizing how much more it really costs to live here and accepted too low of salary packages to maintain their Texas lifestyle for example.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, thats exactly right....and right now hiring immigrants is one of the only ways to fill the job openings....at least in Canada right now.

Backstory: we have a huge labour shortage to fill in the next 10 years....both skilled and unskilled. They said that in the next 10 years BC and Alberta will need well over 50,000 more workers to fill the jobs and this jobs are very good paying positions. ;)
Most of these relate to all the (rich) resource industries we have up here....oil and gas, Potash, mining (uranium, diamonds, etc) and there is more.
Canada only has a population of approx. 35 million people so we don't have anywhere near the group people needed to draw upon to fill this work.:eek:
Interestingly the whole issue of trying to fill these positions....usually unsuccessfully is fodder for a lot of (local) talk radio around here.

You forgot Newfoundland. We are expected to have about 10,000 skilled trades jobs over the next 10 years. Same industry though. Resources based. Ours relate to mining, oil and gas, and the construction for the development of these resources.

Bigprairie1

Commander

You forgot Newfoundland. We are expected to have about 10,000 skilled trades jobs over the next 10 years. Same industry though. Resources based. Ours relate to mining, oil and gas, and the construction for the development of these resources.

Yeah, the demand is pretty much coast to coast...but ironically not in the biggest City (Toronto). So this is a great opportunity to develop and settle a lot of the other parts of Canada right now...including Newfoundland/Labrador.
I think its great.
The Provincial Government here is looking at setting up a plan to help people relocate further up north to fill a lot of the positions that are available. Of course its controversial.....but hey, go for it.
They are having very little, if any luck, getting the current younger generation up north tho'. Most of the positions are being filled (when it happens) by 40+ people.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

We love the winter. The more snow and cold, the better. Just when I get tired of boating, I pull the snowmobiles out, the kids can sled, skate on the pond and we get to actually use our 4wd a lot. I think our winter keeps people away because yes it doesn't get much colder in the continental U.S. than here. If people only knew how good we have it, they'd buy some warm cloths, and move up here. Some of the downsides though from our friends who relocated here from down south is how much less house you get for the money. A gated community home in the south such as Atlanta equates to a normal, middle class home here or so I understand from friends. I've also had collegues move here not quite realizing how much more it really costs to live here and accepted too low of salary packages to maintain their Texas lifestyle for example.
I like to ice fish so I'm a-ok with it. Its much cheaper to live there than it is in co or was. We lived in grand forks it gets cold up there.

kfa4303

Banned

"Just when I get tired of boating," ............? Is that even possible?