I can really suck now...(clean)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: I can really suck now...(clean)

My ex was given a used Kirby from her mom shortly after we were married. 10 years later, I looked-into replacing with a shiny new one ----<br /><br />Until I was quoted the price!! <br />I think she still has it, and still uses it. It looks like a POS, but you cannot kill it.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> My ex was given a used Kirby from her mom shortly after we were married. 10 years later, I looked-into replacing with a shiny new one ----<br /><br />Until I was quoted the price!! <br />I think she still has it, and still uses it. It looks like a POS, but you cannot kill it.
Really, Kirby's have that aluminum housing, and I have seen them pick up a washer or a marble or something, and with the torque of the beater bar adn the speed it spins, the housing shatters!! It isn't too common, but I have seen it firsthand. I used to take Kirby's in on trades a LOT...and give the poor souls a $25.00 trade-in allowance. Just like used cars, that $25 was built in to the price, then we sold the old trades to a used vacuum store for $5 apiece if they took the whole lot of them at once. Usually about 50 or 75 per week...<br /><br />Just to let you all know, the TRUE cost of those machines is around $450 - $500 from the Mfgr...so, now if anyone else wants to ****er with the salesfolks, tell them you know the REAL costs...then get to work making a deal!!!

ebbtide176

Commander

oh yeah - i remember this one cool feature on that kirby- it has a swtch for the "tranny" and it will roll fwd with ease and let you pull it back with no tension. when its off, it is freewheeling, and alot heavier. i don't know how they designed it, but it was killer.<br /><br />our wives thought we were nuts in there checking out the gadgets on that thing when he got it - but hey, it was good for a couple of brews :D <br /><br />i think we need to re-evaluate the whole thing again this evening

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bought one from an insistant salesman about 18 months ago. My wife just had to have it when he finished his pitch and demo. She promised me the moon if I bought it. I should have known better. I got him down to a grand plus tax and thought I was doing something. I pushed for a few dozen bags to be included in the deal, he gave me about 10 and promised he'd mail more. Never got them. Just a few weeks afterward I found the G6 online for under $700. I can't complain about the vacuume though, it works real well. I just wish the bags were cheaper.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I had someone try to sell me something a number of years ago back in Colorado. I think it was Kirby or Rainbow. If either of them sell a machine that has attachments for carpet cleaning as well as vacuuming then it was one of them. I had a red Koolaid stain, and I told them if it would pull that stain I would consider it. It did get the stain out, and I thanked him for the outstanding demonstration and politely declined purchasing the machine. No one ever has or ever will get me to spend that kind of cash on a vacuum. I have boat stuff to buy....

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Well of all things, The phone rang tonight and it was someone from the Kirby center offering a free carpet or couch cleaning. I politly declined, Not that we arn't due for a replacment (we are currently using my shop vac, the wife loves it)just not one in the 1k range.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Mom bought one about 25 years ago. She loved it for most things, but about 10 years ago she bought a lighter vac for regular use. And only uses the Kirby for shampooing and furniture and such. She is just getting too old to be pushing and carrying that thing around.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

All things considered (alergies) the day I buy a $1000 vaccum cleaner is the day pigs fly out of my arse. Now like JB and the estate sale type of deal I would be all over it. <br /><br />and what is it with women and their desire to own a vaccum cleaner that is worth 30% of their wedding rings value? I am as clean as the next guy but I could get maid service for a couple of years at that price..

newhewes

Seaman

Anyone who pays that much money for a vacuum better stand by the fact that its a darn good one regardless!

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by dsmith84:<br /> Anyone who pays that much money for a vacuum better stand by the fact that its a darn good one regardless!
The one we have now (Rainbow) we got at a garage sale for $5!!! Powerhead and all!!!

radar750

Seaman

Ok, I am back from the weekend. Wife came home from school on Fri, she is a teacher, saw the Kirby and was/is still pi$$ed.She just does not care that I got the shampooer,and the attachment to clean drains and spray paint, thats right, spray paint.I had a nice romantic get away planned at our little mountain love shack in Bartlett NH but lets just say it is a good thing I have a woodstove to keep me warm up there cause things were a little cool. She says I should of consulted with her before spending that kind of money. She has not gotten over me showing up unannonced with the boat a few years ago even though I said it was really for her. The worst thing is that now she has informed me that I am<br />incharge of all vaccuming forever.

NOSLEEP

Commander

I bought a new kirby with all the baggage in <br />1978. I remember when it was because my girl <br />friend at the time was trying to get me to set<br />up shop if you know what I mean, But I never did<br />regret buying it. Great vacuum, cant break it.<br />I have replaced many worn out beater bars plus<br />two fans. They are easy to repair or overhaul.<br />Good choice, they can last a life time.<br />I remember it was more than $600.00