i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

Ok, I see your point. Aren't the ones in this last picture mounted too close to the bottom edge, though? Hard to tell from the picture, but I think there should be something like 1/2" clearance from the bottom. You probably know this already. Best of luck with the rest of the installation - I look forward to hearing how she rides.

BillP

Captain

Originally posted by boatster:<br /> <br />I'm hoping the Lencos hold up. They look promising.
Don't worry...Lencos have been standard equipment on many center console offshore rigs for years and years. You can jump waves all year long and never break them. The good thing about cockpit adjustables for jumping is you can trim to launch level...which helps make a more controlled landing. Tabs often need tweaking at different angles in these conditions.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got back tonight. It took all day to get the Lencos installed. After a short run in and outside the harbor I have to say the Lencos worked perfectly. I was cutting through the afternoon wind swell like a hot knife through butter. A few observations: the boat does not jump on to plain as well as with the Nauticus tabs, and it definitely requires more concentration having to man the trim tabs. I hope it just takes some getting used to. Of course I really need several days worth of use to fully understand how to use the Lencos so my current observations are merely anecdotal. For now I can definitely say the Smart Tabs are worth the money for what they give you, a smooth ride, worry free trim, and one less thing to control. However like I've stated before I need the adjustability for open water conditions and I think the Lencos fit the bill. My boat was hopping from swell to swell pretty much level all the way through, it was a drastic improvement for my setup. Since I didn't opt for the indicator switch, it made guessing how much adjustment was needed a little like steering in the dark. But then again I just need to go by feel instead of knowing exactly where the tabs are angled. <br /><br />I do miss the trouble free use of the Smart Tabs but at the same time I've gained a huge safety/handling feature that I MUST have for going into open waters.<br /><br />I will post more as I get more experience with the Lencos. Right now I am a very pleased with my investment.<br /><br />Boatster

stevens

Boatster,<br /><br />Thank you for the update. Good to hear that you think this will work out well for you. I am also glad to hear your comments about the greater ease of use of the Smart Tabs.<br /><br />I guess this is the main difference between the two types of trim tabs. If the conditions require you to have full manual control, and you don't mind having to fiddle around with it, go with adjustable tabs. If you'd rather not have to think about it, and just want the easier planing and smoother ride, go with the Smart Tabs.<br /><br />I can imagine that the lack of a trim indicator would be a little like driving in the dark.<br /><br />If you find that you want to go back to the easy operation of a fully atomatic system, and yet keep the option of manual overrides, you could always add an autopilot system like the ACS-A system of Mente Marine ( web: mente-marine.com ).<br /><br />I believe this system is fully compatible with the Lencos. It uses the same type of levelling sensors and software that is currently used in some of the better SUV's and other cars, and has received some rave reviews in the local boating press. As a bonus, this would then also give you built-in electronic trim indicators.<br /><br />Anyway, please keep us posted on how this works out for you after you get some more experience with it.

BillP

Captain

Boaster,<br />Strange that the Lencos don't pop it on a plane as fast but you still made a good choice for overall performance. Anyway, after you use them a little the operation will be second nature and won't bother you. Driving without an indicator isn't a problem either. Once you have time with the tabs you will know where they are by boat reaction. The hardest part you will experience is trying to keep your hands on the toggle(s)for trimming while wave jumping...that's why I like the single stick. Regardless, trimming tabs is WAY less hassle and aggravation than driving a boat under conditions you can't "trim at will" for.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi BillP,<br /><br />The reason they don't pop up as fast is the Smart Tabs are fully deployed at the beginning. In order for me to pop up as quickly I would have to fully deply the Lencos which would quickly be too far down while running. I would then have to immediately retract them back some to get a proper trim. Where as with the Smart tabs they adjust themselves back to level. Clearly both systems have their strengths. To be honest I think if I were staying nearshore or on a lake I would stick with the Smart Tabs for my boat. What I did love about the Smart tabs was the shock absorbing nature of the ride nearshore, and the worry free control they provided. However for rougher conditions I think the Lenco/adjustable tabs will win out for sure.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also want to apologize for the thread hijack. :(

mattttt25

Commander

boatster- you'll get used to the tabs. i have tabs for the first time on my new boat. no indicator, either. they are great. amazing how easy it is to adjust to whatever the conditions are. left, right, bow up, down, doesn't matter what you need. not having an indicator is not too bad, either. i've run the boat for approx 20 hrs now and have them pretty much figured out. you just get a feel. when you come off plane, just hold both in the up position for a few seconds, and you'll be back to equal and up. good luck-

BillP

Captain

boatster,<br />Thanks for the explanation. You are choosing not to fully deploy and retract for takeoff so it makes sense.

swist

I'd like to try smart tabs, my boat is 24', 225 HP on a bracket, boat + motor about 4200 lbs. Biggest regular tabs are listed at 17'-22', 150-240HP, 12"X9" Part # ST1290-80.<br /><br />Will these be too small. I noticed they did have bigger ones with dual actuators but they are a LOT more expensive (over by budget, and the "application" chart on the website does not show what they are intended for.<br /><br />Please advise.<br />Thanks<br />Jim

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Swist;<br /><br />Besides trying to match the plate size and actuator pressure to the boat, the real key is the boat balance before the trim tabs are installed. Quite often the boat is not as far out of balance as it may seem, and samller tabs can be used. The 4200 lbs should not be a problem for the ST1290-80. If you have more questions just call 800-233-0194.

swist

The boat balance isn't too bad - it will porpoise a bit if trimmed out to where RPMs max out. Most noticeable when gas load is light (full tank weighs 650 lbs - in center of boat) and hence there is proportionally more weight on the bracket.<br /><br />Sounds like I will go with the ST1290-80.<br />Jim

phatmanmike

Captain

swist, that is what i used. my boat is 4000 pounds with 225hp and they worked great !

stevens

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excuse me for my beginners ignorance, but what are smart tabs exactly?

stevens

"Excuse me for my beginners ignorance, but what are smart tabs exactly? " <br /><br />Country singer,<br /><br />See www.nauticusinc.com<br /><br />It's a great product with a lot of enthusiastic customers, like myself, and with good support from their company president, called NautiJohn on this forum.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a follow up: I recently took my RIB 26 miles offshore in decent chop/swell. This gave over 3 hours to try out the new Lenco tabs. I can now honestly say that the Smart Tabs worked by far the best for my Searider rib. The ride was rougher and the requirement to control the tabs made for a less enjoyable ride. Since the Lencos are a rigid trim tab I could feel the engine working harder. <br /><br />When I first tried the Lencos in the LA harbor one of the first things I noted was the lack of easy for gettting onto plane. The only way I could simulate the performance of the Smart Tabs would be to put the trim tabs all the way down for the hole shot, and once on plane I would need to trim back to get an efficient ride. This was very bothersome. I thought maybe the rough sea handling would make up for this but it seems the same issues were experienced there as well. Trimming down while underway meant I could come off of plane easier and accelerating would require me to deploy the tabs back down again, very laborious. <br /><br />I guess I'm a victim of the thought more $$$$ and more control equates to better handling. I should have stuck with the Smart Tabs!! Not only are they cheaper, they're easier to use and made the boat handle a 200% better than with the Lencos. <br /><br />This is by no means a gripe about the Lencos themselves but rather the wrong appliaction for my rib. I still believe the Lencos are a solid product. The waterproof tactile switch and build of hardware and actuators was top notch.<br /><br />I am going to create a slide show of my installation and give a full report about this in the near future. For now I wanted share with everyone who is interested in the subject my experience. <br /><br />Anyone want to buy a pair of Lenco trim tabs (9"x9")? :D <br /><br />Boaster

LubeDude

Admiral

boatster:<br /><br />Thanks for being honest about your experience. First time I know of that we have had someone try them both so close together, or if ever. I think that some aplications on larger boats, the Lencos would be better though. Also, I think some people like to fiddle with things and it wouldnt be a problem messing with them all the time. Myself, I like my Smart Tabs. :D

stevens

Boatster, thank you for this. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.<br /><br />Now, if you'd like to keep the Lenco's but add the convenience of an automatic system, check out mente-marine.com. Their ASC-A system should be compatible with your Lenco tabs, and will include a tab position indicator as well.<br /><br />Nothing solves a problem like throwing even more money at it.....

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys.<br /><br />I have to say, after messing with the Lencos (PITA installation) I am amazed at the Smart Tabs.<br />I've done enough messing around, well sorta.<br /><br />Actually I've come up with an idea to make the Nauticus trim tabs somewhat adjustable. With the help of Nautijohns beaching kit concept, I'm going to use some line and sailboat rope cleats or cam cleats to control the amount I deploy the Smart Tabs. I will set the tabs to extend much further down when not restricted, then I'll use the line and cleats and pull them back. This way if I'm in really rough heading seas I can let more trim out or I can pull them in some for calmer conditions. What can I say, I'm a control freak. I love getting gadgeted out and rigging stuff up :D . Like I said before I'm going to make a slideshow of my progress. I'll probably make a slideshow of my tricked out little rib too!<br />The funny thing is I'm excited to put the Smart Tabs back on and rig up my adjustment lines. Clearly I must keep my dayjob, not related to boats.<br /><br />Boatster