i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

myoutboards;<br /><br />The ST1290-80 indicates that the plates should be 12"X9" and the actuators should be 80Lbs. The 80 Lbs actuators are very stiff and unless they are not 80 lbs (an error) they should not allow the stern to drop on shut down. Check the angle of deployment at rest (25 degrees or about 3" down at the back edge of the plate). Also pull up on the plates to get an indication of the strength of the actuator. This should take some effort.<br />The splash in the back could be from the water flow off the side of the plate hitting the motor. The pictur indicates that you would be better moving the platres further out. I would suggest that you not re drill all of the holes just index the plate two holes toward the outsides and the remount the upper bracket. This way you will be using three of the existing holes.<br />Leave you phone number on our e-mail and I will be happy to call. info@nauticusinc.com

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's hard to tell from the picture but are the tabs mounted about 1/2" UP from the bottom edge of the transom? I realized that when I transferred the template onto my transom that the hinge point is actually up from the transom edge. I don't really know why I expected it to be mounted flush but now I understand. Since they are above the bottom edge, they don't drag there. Am I correct?<br /><br /> I will say that on my 19' Center Console with a 150 (475 lb motor) I get nothing like what you are experiencing. No spray, no rooster tails and definitely no backwash. Do you just cut the throttles to idle at once or do you power done in a slower fashion? Any boat will backwash if you just cut the engine- can't help that. <br /><br /> I really think that if the instructions are followed to a "T", you really can't go wrong with these tabs. Pretty slick little invention. <br /><br />UFM82

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Myoutboards;<br />how did this go? Was NautiJohn able to help you out, and are you now an eager Smart Tab convert as well?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

UFM82<br />If the plates are not above the bottom of the hull there will be constant and ever increasing lift on the stern (they will act like shear plates or interceptors.) They are also likely to cause a spray. If the tabs do not come up at cruising speeds they could cause a spray.

phatmanmike

Captain

i never said i dindt like the tabs. they do as advertised, and very well i may add.<br /><br />im just a fool , i installed them wrong. i moved them to the outer edges last night and can hopefully try them tonight<br /><br />i will post back

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

myoutboards;<br /><br />Please let me know if i can be of more help. Even with the tabs mounted inboard, the stern should not drop when you come to a stop. That includes a fast stop such as ignition off.<br /><br />Make sure the plates are at a 25 degree deployed angle at rest.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

does anybody know if these type tabs are availale for a 21ft. bow rider w/mercruiser.i have been following this thread and am in no way trying to hijack it.lol thanks

phatmanmike

Captain

ok im baaaaack! :p <br /><br />i moved the tabs out to the very edges of the transom, about 3 inches in on each side, and i moved them about a nother 1/4" up from the bottom of the hull, just to MAKE CERTAIN that they arent dragging the water.<br /><br />wow!<br /><br /><br />what a friggen difference! woo- hoo, my boat hauls butt!!!<br /><br />no over spray, no giant rooster tail. motor does 5200 rpm with tilted in once im up on plane, but then i can trim out and reach 5800 , and when i do this, you can feel the boat speed increase a smidgen.<br /><br />im so excited. i wish i had these for all my boats. maybe i will!!!!!<br /><br />and to top this off, my dealer let me "borrow" a 4 blade, stainless steel, renegade 19p prop.<br /><br />cant wait to try THAT out with the tabs!<br /><br />life rocks!!!!

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Way to go.<br /><br />I'm definitely getting a set now.

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Andy C Mac,<br /><br />Do you have a RIB? Do you do alot of jumping and slamming in rough seas? I read in your other post you mentioning ribs. Is that what you have? If so what brand. Only reason I ask is because I had to replace the Nauticus trim tabs on my rib for adjustable ones.

andymach23

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boatster<br /><br />No I don't have one. I got a lend of one from my outboard dealer last year when my new 40hp engine was delayed. It blew me away. It was a 4.9 meter with a 60 hp merc 2-stroke. It was like a rocket compared to my GRP fishing boat. I really love my current boat but wouldn't replace it with a rib. I'd have to get one as well.<br /><br />Just curious. Thanks

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the nauticus trim tabs would be good for a smaller < 20' powerboat but for my rib I don't think they can handle the constant jumping and slamming I put them through. I already broke one of the actuators and one of the ball mounts has a few broken plastic pieces from the hard slamming that occurs from jumping wave crests. Overall the Nauticus tabs are great. They do exactly what they claim but I think they need to be strengthened some.<br /><br />I'm hoping the Lencos hold up. They look promising.

stevens

Myoutboards; great, thanks for the update. I'm glad this worked out well for you too.<br /><br />XLtier; I just put these tabs on my 21' with a Mercruiser Alpha drive, and they worked just like promised. The tabs are such a compact installation I believe they would fit on almost any transom as long as it is reasonably flat. If you look at www.nauticusinc.com there will be some help in selecting the right size for your boat.

stevens

Boatster; I agree that the ordinary Smart Tabs may give an impression of being a little under-sized, but they're holding up for me so far. I haven't done much wave jumping, though.<br /><br />Maybe the "Smart Tabs II" would be right for you? It has two actuators per tab instead of one, meaning twice the strength. Also, the hinges have 7 screws instead of 5, so more strength there as well.<br /><br />See: http://www.nauticusinc.com/smarttabs_II.htm <br /><br />Judging from the pictures at the website, they are intended for large RIBs and military craft, so the strength is presumably high enough for your type of use.<br /><br /><br />
boat_stii.jpg
<br /><br />There is one good thing about the Smart Tabs that I think ordinary trim tabs cannot replicate, and that is the continuous "shock absorbing" & stabilizing effect at higher speeds. I find this to be a huge benefit, especially in the small chop.<br /><br />Please let us know if this is something you miss when going to the Lencos.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

We have not found problems with the actuators holding up during rough water conditions or when the boat leaves and re-enters the water. We have had end fitting fail in some situations, and frankly coould not pin point the reason. Fortunately they are easily replaced (screw on and off). The Ball Studs have never broken although in salt water like any other metal they will corrode if anodes are not installed on the plates. <br /><br />The fact that the Tabs can and do retract to above the horizantal position relieves the stress on the hardware.<br /><br />As always we are looking to improve the product and we will announce the improvements as they come.<br /><br />Thanks to all!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

myoutboards;<br /><br />What about the backwash when you stop?<br /><br />Did you achieve more top speed than before the tabs? The pressure can be adjusted to help in this area.<br /><br />Is the 19" pitch prop more or less pitch? If the hole shot is improved you should be able to go up in pitch.

phatmanmike

Captain

i will tes the 4 blade stainless 19p prop today.<br /><br />old prop is 15x17p 3 blade aluminum with beat up edges.<br /><br />backwash is about as good as its gonna get with my biga$$ motor hanging back there, but its much better.<br /><br />top speed, feels much faster, although i cant verify this as i have no sp[eedo or gps, YET<br /><br />now, with the tabs moved outwards, it seems like the boat is chine walking, by this i mean its bouncing from left to right and such. i think im going faster than mu hull is designed to go, as when i am on full plane and 5800 rpm with my 1991 225v6, only about the last 4 feet of boat are in water it seems( by the water splashing off the hull)<br /><br />its very flat today, and i will be out there within the hour, ill post back later around dinner time. thanks again

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

This is a great post to demonstrate posting results and questions rather than jumping to the conclusion that something doesn't work and flaming the distributor/manufacturer.<br /><br />myoutboards did the correct thing in explaining what he was seeing initially and posting questions about it.<br /><br />I am glad you got those things straightened out, sound like you even recieved more than expected from your rig!

boatster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> We have not found problems with the actuators holding up during rough water conditions or when the boat leaves and re-enters the water. We have had end fitting fail in some situations, and frankly coould not pin point the reason. Fortunately they are easily replaced (screw on and off). The Ball Studs have never broken although in salt water like any other metal they will corrode if anodes are not installed on the plates. <br /><br />Here is a pic:<br /> http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11732 <br /><br />The fact that the Tabs can and do retract to above the horizantal position relieves the stress on the hardware.<br /><br />As always we are looking to improve the product and we will announce the improvements as they come.<br /><br />Thanks to all!
Hi Nautijohn,<br /><br />I believe you will improve the product no doubt. What has broken in my tabs are some of the little tabs in the plastic ends that mounts to the stainless steel balls. These are in the screw on mounted ends. I don't mean the little removable plug with the 4 sticks but the little tabs that actually grab the stainless steel ball. <br /><br />Please trust that I am only being objective in my critique. You might remember that I was one of the customers who had the actuator steel rod shear off. I run my boat hard and get airborne in my rib more then a handful in one outing. THere is also a little rust appearing at the ends of the actuators where the end mounts screw on. I just need to repaint them. Other than these minor details the product is near perfect for a majority of applications.<br /><br />I am planning to put these tabs onto a shallow v hull runabout dinghy. Is there a way I could buy a pair of new plastic endcaps for the top of my actuators? They can easily pop out of the ball mounts right now.<br /><br />Boatster