I bet Iran and North Korea are a bit worried

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I bet Iran and North Korea are a bit worried

Bull's eye for you on the hemp mention MY! :) <br />Rope, clothing, bags, boxes, on and on and on and on.....

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

JasonJ, you talk alot of sense.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> The free market is a mavelous thing, and when oil prices reach some threshold things will happen.<br /><br />On another tack, I think the people who have done everything they can to keep Alaskan resources from being utilized are responsible in no small part for the degree that we are dependent on foreign oil. Seems to me that they think American lives are not as valuable as a herd of caribou.<br /><br /><br />-dd-
Amen, DD! Not one wasted word in that post.<br />I axiouslly await Mark's reply to that.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

I still have not got an answer as to why Haliburton was allright for Democrat administrations.<br /> Nukes are part of the answer. Nukes have been going into space on explorer missions and satelites for years. The anti nuke crowd has done a fabulous job of brainwashing the general public to think that nuke=bomb. What a bunch of BS.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

1730V, I think the answer you are looking for is that Haliburton is the only orgnization with the vast range of resources, personnel, and ability to do the job. There is no one else that can do it. Haliburton can do it more efficiently than a bunch of smaller companies could. I am not a Haliburton fan, but if they are the onlys ones who can get it done, its hard to see why the government would not use them. The Alaska oilfields do not hold that much oil, it would be depleted in a matter of a few years, that is why it is so difficult. The real deal is in the gulf of mexico. They have finally mastered deep water drilling in that volatile area. There is vast amounts of oil in the gulf. Not enough to get us off of the saudi teat, but enough to wake them up and make them take notice. Canada is figuring out how to extract the oil from all that nasty tar like substance that is found up there. I believe we will be alright for at least another 30 years, but we really should work on that backup plan. 30 years goes by pretty quick....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> The free market is a mavelous thing, and when oil prices reach some threshold things will happen.
It must work differently in different parts of the Western World. Most all of our beloved cousins have let their governments rape them, in the price of gasoline, and they just lay down and take it. I think if gasoline were to get that high, here, we'd have a revolution.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by 1730V:<br /> I still have not got an answer as to why Haliburton was allright for Democrat administrations.<br /> Nukes are part of the answer. Nukes have been going into space on explorer missions and satelites for years. The anti nuke crowd has done a fabulous job of brainwashing the general public to think that nuke=bomb. What a bunch of BS.
I suppose the use of nukes in outer space is fine, but I am not so sure I want the waste products from energy production stored in my neighborhood. They have stuff at INEL (Idaho National Engineering Laboratories) near Arco that will be extremely dangerous for thousands of years. But these are fission products. Maybe we should pour some money into nuclear fusion. It would be much safer, but it's still an infant technology.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Jason, you made my point again. Some people keep railing on about Haliburton,. They are there because they can do the job. Nobody else can. I was fishing to find out why those that complain about Haliburton all the time never mention previous administrations using them.<br /><br />Nuke fusion has a bright future. I agree there is plenty of oil in the Gulf.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I regret invoking the name "Haliburton" to begin with, but I'm sure it was front and center on everyone's mind when it came to Mark's "war for oil" as regards to a company name...so I used it as an example. I could not resist. But let's just call them "Kerr/McGee". It'll confuse him for a short time, but he'll catch up. :D <br />I allways got a kick out of the alphbet media and newspapers when it came time to refer to Haliburton. They allways called it "Richard Cheney's former big oil consortium, Haliburton", or "Haliburton, VP Cheney's oil company"..<br />I wonder what they'll do for fun now that thier credability is zzzzip??

woodrat

Ensign

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br />
Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> The free market is a mavelous thing, and when oil prices reach some threshold things will happen.<br /><br />On another tack, I think the people who have done everything they can to keep Alaskan resources from being utilized are responsible in no small part for the degree that we are dependent on foreign oil. Seems to me that they think American lives are not as valuable as a herd of caribou.<br /><br /><br />-dd-
Amen, DD! Not one wasted word in that post.<br />I axiouslly await Mark's reply to that.
well 12, I wouldn't want you to have to wait for long. <br /> ;) <br />Anyone have any idea exactly how much oil ANWR holds? I have heard as little as 3 months of US demand, but I don't know how accurate that is. At any rate, its not likely to be much. And I'm sure now that we have entered the age of the right-wingers, ANWR will be exploited sooner or later anyway, caribou or no. <br /><br />Personally, I think that every time we drive a species or population of god's other critters to extinction, we diminish ourselves and the quality of our lives. We are all excited here on the columbia river to get a run of a million or so salmon where there used to be 100 million, and a bunch of the ones we get now are hatchery fish. That used to be a lot of $ and jobs for a lot of folks, for those who can only view the value of other species in dollar amonts.<br /><br />getting back to ANWR though, it is merely a drop in the bucket of what we use, and pretty much misses the point that we need to be finding an alternative, pretty quick, and that acting like ANWR will save us from the eventual depletion of oil is not very realistic. Its not even a big enough supply to push the problem off onto our children's generation, which is how we usually like to handle these things.

woodrat

Ensign

Originally posted by 1730V:<br /> The anti nuke crowd has done a fabulous job of brainwashing the general public to think that nuke=bomb. What a bunch of BS.
Nukes as bombs is not really the biggest problem with that technology.<br /><br />I live on the lower columbia river, DOWNSTREAM from the hanford reservation and the now defunct Trojan nuke plant. I have been advised by oldtimers here not to make sturgeon a regular part of my diet due to their long lives on the bottom of this somewhat radioactive river. There is an island in the river here that has a VERY high rate of thyroid cancer, which is commonly associated with radiation. Even the cows there get cancer!<br /><br />Nuke power was going to be "too cheap to meter" when they first brought it out, now its so expensive just to shut one of the damn things down that they make special arrangements to separate the costs from the company's profits so that the rate payers can pay the so called "stranded costs" while the shareholders in the company take none of the burden.<br /><br />troajn nuke plant near here opened in 73 I believe, and by 1996 was so broken down that it could not be economically repaired. It is now shut down, never to produce another kilowatt again, but still has a big old pile of spent fuel with no place to go, just sitting right on the banks of my beloved river! The rate payers absorbed the decommissioning costs on that one too. <br /><br />I would think that even republicans could get irritated about being shafted like that, and even dogs dad here says he doesn't want to live next to the stuff, so lets not keep yammering on about how the liberals are keeping nuclear power from succeeding. Its an idea that has many, many serious problems that we have no good solutions to. The liberals are not the cause of those problems.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Who said liberals were the only nuke bashers? I would not want to eat fish full of Mercury either.

woodrat

Ensign

Originally posted by 1730V:<br /> Who said liberals were the only nuke bashers? I would not want to eat fish full of Mercury either.
Well, I assume that when 12 talks about the anti-nuke activists preventing CA from having enough nuke plants, he's not talking about Repblicans. ;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by woodrat:<br /> <br />Anyone have any idea exactly how much oil ANWR holds? I have heard as little as 3 months of US demand, but I don't know how accurate that is. At any rate, its not likely to be much. And I'm sure now that we have entered the age of the right-wingers, ANWR will be exploited sooner or later anyway, caribou or no.
<br />How predictable. I guess I can expect no less, and debating this is useless. But,ok.I'll bite;<br /><br /><br />Right winggers exploit. It's what we do. We take land away from indigenous people, we rape the recources it holds, and then discard it, with no regard for the life forms we exterminate in our path. We are ruthless killers, us "right wingers", so don't stand in our way, lest you get exploited for our sole benifit.<br />But seriously, man. You do not know how much oil is there? Well, click here and learn something factual for a change. Oh wait, I forgot. We cannot trust our own government to tell us the truth, esspecially now that those wascally wepubwicans are in control!<br /><br />
Originally posted by woodrat:<br /><br />Personally, I think that every time we drive a species or population of god's other critters to extinction, we diminish ourselves and the quality of our lives. We are all excited here on the columbia river to get a run of a million or so salmon where there used to be 100 million, and a bunch of the ones we get now are hatchery fish. That used to be a lot of $ and jobs for a lot of folks, for those who can only view the value of other species in dollar amonts.
<br />Hey wait a minute. I thought leftists didn't believe in creation, and we all evolved from pond scum.<br />Well, that's another topic I guess. But I am confused. <br />God has placed all life on the plannet in submission to man, according to the book of Genisis. But again ,you would be required to believe the bible, a source of information other than the New York Times. And since you are supposed to believe that all life evolved from pond scum left over from a big bang, you know of extinctions throughout this plannet's history.<br />That is how we are taught that evolution was supposed to werk,Mark. I'm not making light of this,really. I persoanlly hold a strong belief in evolution also,but we were created in God's image, (again, going by the sources I read and study).And those other forms of life were left uunder our stewardship. Instead of being worried that man will again wipe-out another species in a relentless exploitation of recourses, be worried that we wont protect the species. I won't loose any sleep worrying , trusting in the knowledge that harming one hackle on thier chilly little hides would bring-down the wrath of environmentalists with hungry wallets....Helluva way to run an oil company, aint it?<br />But stick to your sources. They need your patronage to exist.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by woodrat:<br /><br />getting back to ANWR though, it is merely a drop in the bucket of what we use, and pretty much misses the point that we need to be finding an alternative, pretty quick, and that acting like ANWR will save us from the eventual depletion of oil is not very realistic. Its not even a big enough supply to push the problem off onto our children's generation, which is how we usually like to handle these things.
I agree, execpt for the "pushing-off" BS. What MUST you think of my love for my own grandchildren, not to mention everyone else's!?<br /><br />Did you get that out of the NYT also?<br />Man, that must be a real fish-wrapper of a paper!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I think that we should first open the off-shore oilfields that are currently closed to exploration due to the governor of Florida.Now that would be a lot cheaper to develop than the Alaska fields, although a Bush might loose his governor's job if he tries.But it is all for the greater good of America.So Governor Bush will certainly understand.

woodrat

Ensign

12;<br /><br />1)exploit is a verb, meaning "to make productive use of ". If that offends you, tough luck. The rghtwingers have been trying to get into ANWR for years and now that the repubs have the keys to the kingdom, ANWR will no doubt be EXPLOITED sooner than later, and the caribou and the people who depend on them can just go to hell. Personally, I like rolmops' suggestion. Why not drill off the the Florida coast? Oh that's right, it turns out that even some right wingers don't want their beaches coated in tar balls either, or their "viewsheds" disturbed.<br /><br />2) no I don't trust the federal government or big business not to lie to serve their own interests, no matter which party is sitting on the throne. Remember Enron? Or was that too long ago? Nuclear power? DDT? Agent Orange? Waco? When did the repubs and right wingers develop such a fondness for and trust in the federal government? <br /><br />3) I'm not a leftist or a creationist, but I do believe in a higher power and that all "god's" creatures are equally important to "god". I haven't read the NYT in years. What are your news sources? The trustworthy Rush Limbaugh and Bill OReilly? <br /><br />4) Re: evolution and extinction. I am so sick of hearing people yap about how the salmon should just adapt to our destruction of their habitat and if they can't keep up, well too bad, extinction happens. It will happen to us too, if we wipe out everything we depend on for life, like clean water and oxygen, just to name a few. I think that if we keep on in the direction we are going, we will eventually have an envronment that looks like the middle east. remember that persia (iraq) was once the "fertile crescent" and that north africa was forested before the romans came along.<br /><br />5)Interesting that at the same time you are bashing the enviros and liberals for getting in the way of the dollar, you say you rest easy counting on them to protect what your party and their friends would destroy.<br /><br />6) As to children and grandchildren, all I have to do is look at what has been lost in my short lifetime and project that into the future. When I was a child, there were still lots of old growth forests and plenty of salmon, although both were way down from when my dad was a kid, and he had a lot less than HIS dad did. Given that the status quo is to consume our natural capital as fast as it can be turned into dollars, and that any who protest this trend are ridiculed at best and demonized at worst, the outcome seems pretty clear. And when we are talking about oil, I am pretty confident that my children will be living a different world when they are adults, whether ANWR gets EXPLOITED or not. <br /><br />And just a side note about ANWR, who says that the oil from ANWR woudn't just get sold to asia anyway? The oil companies have no patriotic urges to serve americans first. I live on the west coast, pretty dang close to alaskan oil, and I pay some of the highest fuel prices in the nation, higher than the east coast, where a lot of the oil comes from the middle east. This is partly because a lot of alaskan oil goes to asia, rather than the west coast of america.<br /><br />blah blah blah...<br /><br />all the debate that we have here is irrelevant anyway. The powers in the throne right now has their own plans for the world, and have never been interested in hearing anyone else's input anyway. we will get exactly the kind of energy policy that serves big money, big government and the status quo. Oil will be used to the last drop and sold to the highest bidder, species and indiginous people will be driven to extinction, the remaining old growth forests cut (to keep them from catching fire, of course!) and there will be no useful dissent or debate heard because we will be at war for the next thirty or forty years, and moving ever towards a security fortress state. You repubs seem pretty jazzed about this, so I hope it turns out like you expect. I'd sure hate to see YOUR local fish runs and forests wiped out and YOUR beaches covered in tar balls and dead seabirds.

woodrat

Ensign

OK 12, I did a little research and a little math, and for the sake of argument, I'll assume that your link is correct in stating that ANWR contains 10.4 billion barrels of recoverable oil (its a political document, which does make it suspect, but i'm giving you tthe benefit of the doubt). The university of nebraska at omaha (http://maps.unomaha.edu/Peterson/funda/Sidebar/OilConsumption.html) says that we use about 20 million barrells per day at present which says that if our demand stayed the same, which it won't, ANWR would last 14.24 years. That doesn't seem like much to me. More than three months for sure, but not much. If you break it down to a daily thing, ANWR would produce about 5% of our daily usage.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I aint readin all of that.Sorry. Therefore, whatever dood.

woodrat

Ensign

gee, and to think you once "anxiously awaited" my reply.<br /><br />How predictable!