Hurricane Frances, Here we go again Florida

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hurricane Frances, Here we go again Florida

That depends. Some newer homes are built with a set of shutters usually ,which can be installed in a matter of minutes. Most had to go buy or make a set. Then you have the automatic type, or those that are installed perminently, that roll-away when not in use. These are the most 'spensive. Some folks like me just use plywood ,purchased way-ahead of time too,due to Lowes and Home Depot running out before everey pending storm. These plywood shutters are bulky, hard to store, and a sumbench to get back in the same winder each time. But they are also the cheapest. And in the winter, if you have no place to store them, you can build boat decks outta them.This is where the term, "bording-up" comes from.<br /><br />Thats the skinny on boarding-up.<br /><br />I guess the evacs have started for some of the east coasties. May God ride-out this beast with them, and with us all. This one is is going to make Charely look like a thunder storm, i fear.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boarding up of the windows is to stop the winds from blowing into a house thru the windows and lifting the roof off. Roof's are built to withstand downward forces, not upwards.<br />I'm the liaison with our City and Lake County's Emergency Operations Center. We had a several hour briefing yesterday on the storm. It is a slow moving mutha and is going to pound the areas it crosses. We expect up to 100 mph winds as a worst case scenerio and 10" or more of rain is expected in Lake County. <br />I'll report to the EOC on Saturday at 0800 and dont know when I'll be home. I'll pack clothes n such for an extended leave, at least 48 hours. My wife is understandibly pissed as the emergency responders have to go but the families of them have to fend for themselves. I hope I can get home Saturday night before the major part of the storm hits our area.<br />I do not have plywood for my windows so I'm hoping for the best.<br />I'm gonna set the boat somwhere in the yard so its not in a location to get blown into the house or garage.<br /><br />It would be nice if the only thing that happens is another loose alligator like the last hurricane but I think we are in for a major impact this time. I expect to be without power for several days if not weeks. Water isnt a problem as the City has generator back-up for their water flow, pending major broken water lines. I'm on septic so I hope thats not gonna back flow with all the rain.<br />We can shower n such at City Hall as it is on generator power. We can run power as long as we have diesel fuel. <br /><br />I'll post pictures if I get any. <br /><br />I have wireless internet on my issued Panasonic Toughbook as long as the Sprint system is up.

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Charley: male name<br />Frances: female name<br /><br />Male bass: small and fast, does its’ thing and gets out<br />Female bass: bigger, bossy, slow, very strong and hangs around<br /><br />Females: always having to do twice a much to prove they are just as good as male.<br /><br />Don't mess with Mother Nature!! She will take you out and not even bat an eye!<br /><br />Ladies, please don't be offended. I'm just trying to keep my sense of humor before I go crazy. I didn't board any windows for Charley, but have already done half the windows and plan on doing most of the others after work today.<br /><br />Snapperbait: You might be the bull’s eye for Frances. I have friends that live in the west side of Palm Beach County. My wife and I will be praying for all of us just as we did for Charley. I ask God to give me straight to prepare for Frances. My wife and I have still been helping some of the older people in our church clean up from Charley.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

My Boarding proceedure is plywood over the windows first, then put the awnings down over that (which I'm finishing up this a.m.)...<br /><br />They shifted the track south at 5 a.m.... Looking like landfall in northern Palm Beach and Martin counties...<br /><br /> Folks, I'm outta here ASAP, hopefully before, or around noon today, boats are staying behind :( ... I'm northbound, already crosseye'd just thinking about that long drive....<br /><br />Snapperbait, signing off....

tylerin

Commander

Keep in touch Snapperbait, and good luck to all involved

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To all my Florida friends, please take care and do what you have to, to be safe.<br />We want to see and talk to you again.

flashback

Captain

Hey snapper I don't know if you,ll see this, but I read in the paper this morning that the fla. d.o.t. may reverse the south bound lanes so that the entire turn pike is going north... good luck brother.........

aspeck

Staff member

To all my Floridian brothers,<br /><br />You are in the Aspeck household's thoughts and prayers! Please be safe and run to higher ground! Snapper, glad you got outta there while the gettin' was good.<br /><br />Jim, Gil, Trigger, 12footer, Scooch, Dhadley, et al, take care! Let us know how all turns out and if you need anything!

phatmanmike

Captain

im getting in my 16 footer and heding to mexico with its 18 gallons of gas. im gonna troll for tuna on the way over, wish me luck

aspeck

Staff member

Good Luck phatmanmike!

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Our prayers are with all of you. Please let us know you're alright when you can.<br />Bassy

LadyFish

Admiral

There is hardly a way for our Floridians to escape this monster. Its the storm of the century. <br /><br />Please everyone, lets all keep them in our thoughts and prayers over the Labor Day Weekend.<br /><br />I hope this image is self updating.....if not here's the link Hurricane Frances <br />
frances_animation.gif
<br /><br />We are hoping and praying for all of you. Godspeed Floridians.

SpinnerBait_Nut

It ain't updating on my end LF.<br />Still says 11 am EDT.

NOSLEEP

Commander

FOX CREEK !<br /><br />Good luck Florida.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Late Thursday Hurricane Frances was on a northwest course and is expected to heavily impact a very large portion of Florida. Major evacuations have been ordered.<br /><br /><br />At 8PM EDT on Thursday, Frances was located near 24.3N 75.1W, or 75 miles southeast of northern Cat Island in the central Bahamas. This position is about 355 miles east-southeast of the Floridas lower east coast. <br /><br /><br />Recent flights by Air Force hurricane hunters show Frances has weakened slightly with winds down a bit to 140 mph and pressure up to 948 mb. Frances remains a Category Four on the Saffir-Simpson scale. See the link "Saffir-Simpson Scale" for details on what each category means in terms of winds and impact.<br /><br /><br />Frances has been weakened slightly by dry air aloft from the east but it still it is likely to hold its own or even re-strengthen before landfall as its heads further from the influence of dry air and passes over the very warm Gulf Stream. Frances is expected to make landfall as at least a strong category three hurricane.<br /><br /><br />Frances track has shifted to the northwest and it has slowed down to about 9 mph. On this track, the eye of Frances will pass across the northwest Bahamas on Thursday night. A track between west-northwest and northwest is expected for the next day or two, bringing Frances toward landfall along the east coast of central Florida by early Saturday. <br /><br /><br />Hurricane warnings remain in effect for much of the east coast of Florida, from Florida City northward to Flagler Beach. The hurricane warning is also in effect for Lake Okeechobee. Some cities included in the hurricane warning are Miami, Fort Lauderdale, the Palm Beaches, Vero Beach, Cocoa Beach and Daytona Beach. <br /><br /><br />A tropical storm warning and hurricane watch is in effect for the middle and upper Florida Keys. <br /><br /><br />A hurricane warning remains in effect for all of the Bahamas. <br /><br /><br />Frances is quite a large storm - effects on the Florida coast will begin well before landfall and damaging winds will extend well beyond its exact point of landfall.. Tropical storm force winds extend out about 185 miles from Frances center and hurricane force winds extend out about 80 miles. <br /><br /><br />Based on the current forecast track, tropical storm force winds are expected to push onto the east coast of central and south Florida Friday afternoon into early Friday evening. Hurricane force winds are expected to reach the coast from northeast Broward county up to near Brevard County from any time from early Friday evening through around midnight. <br /><br /><br />High winds will also spread inland Friday night into Saturday, and an inland hurricane watch has been issued for most of inland southern and central Florida from Orlando southward. <br /><br /><br />Damaging winds could continue into Saturday night across a broad area of central Florida.<br /><br /><br />With this track, locations from Port. St. Lucie to Palm Bay, including Vero Beach and Sebastian, would be hit hardest. <br /><br /><br />Evacuation orders have been issued for all mobile homes and barrier islands from Miami-Dade county north to Glades and Palm Beach county. Overall, this is the largest evacuation order in Floridas history. Evacuations will be mandatory as far north as Daytona Beach by early Friday morning. <br /><br /><br />Storm surges of 5 to 14 feet above mean sea level can be expected in the Bahamas, while surges of up to 12 feet can be expected on Floridas east coast near and the north of where Frances makes landfall. Surges of up to 24 feet are possible on Lake Okeechobee.<br /><br /><br />Rainfall will also likely be a major problem even in inland areas due to Francess slow movement. 6 to 12 inches of rain with local amounts as much as 20 inches, is possible along the path of Frances, especially from Fort Lauderdale and Fort Myers northward

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good luck Florida iboaters!!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for all the prayers and warm wishes for good luck. My prayers also go out especially to those who take the threat of this storm lightly.<br /><br />We are in Andrew country and remember clearly the night of horror as the storm ripped this area apart. It disrupted our lives for over two years. We survived Andrew with no long term scars but I dread the thought of going through it again.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I could'nt get out! I'm gonna have to ride this one out... <br /><br />I made it as far as Canoe creek turnpike toll plaza maybe 100 miles north of here.. Took 7 hours to get that far, brakelights as far as you can see.. I had to turn around and head back... Total traffic jam and the exhaust fumes about had me passed out... Decided I ain't gonna die from carbon monixide poision sitting in gridlock on the damn turnpike, so I came back home, Frances be damned!... (0 traffic heading south, btw!)<br /><br />Gonna try to get more inland and stay with friends tomorrow....

aspeck

Staff member

You are in the Aspeck family prayers, Snapper! Please keep us posted as much as you can!