Hunting party Slaughtered, 6 killed, 2 wounded

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Hunting party Slaughtered, 6 killed, 2 wounded

:) Heard on the news that this fella "Vang" maybe and I said maybe, involved in a 2001 killing of another hunter!!! Yup a cultral thing!!! In my part of the country if your last name is Rodrigous; Josa; Valdas; Hernandes etc: you are 99.9% most likely to make the police or court news,"a cultral thing" nothing to do with being a theif; murderer or rapist!!! :confused: :confused:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I was going back and I didn't find my apology. Must've been that flood control thing. Anyhow ... I humbly apologize if I offended anyone with the KKK reference. No insult was intended. I was generalizing and trying to make a point.<br /><br />This thread has been a good exchange of opinions with fairly little animosity. Just people of conviction expressing themselves. Keep it up! This story is far from over. Stay tuned...

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Fly Rod<br />Yes it was off topic sort of. I cannot let a zinger go unanswered.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) willyBWright!!<br /><br />My wife says the same thing!!!! ;) :cool:

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Lets look at the facts.<br /><br />Arrested after threatening to kill his wife and waving gun on Christmas Eve 2001. <br /><br />Member of the US Army, but doesn't understand killing others is wrong.<br /><br />Avid hunter but didn't know trespassing on private property is wrong.<br /><br />From the Sawyer County Sheriff:<br /><br />
"The answer was nobody should be in the deer stand," Sawyer County Sheriff James Meier said Monday.<br /><br />One of the men approached the intruder and asked him to leave, as Crotteau and the others in the cabin hopped on their all-terrain vehicles and headed to the scene.<br /><br />"The suspect got down from the deer stand, walked 40 yards, fiddled with his rifle. He took the scope off his rifle, he turned and he opened fire on the group," Meier said.<br /><br />There was no indication why.<br /><br />One of the men who was shot called for help on his radio, but it was too late. The suspect opened fire again, hitting the people who had just arrived on ATVs.<br /><br />The suspect was "chasing after them and killing them," Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. "He hunted them down is what he did."<br /><br />About 20 shots were fired, but it's unclear whether anyone returned fire. The hunting party had only one gun among them.<br /><br />The scene Meier described was one of carnage, the bodies strewn around 100 feet apart. Rescuers from the cabin piled the living onto their vehicles and headed out of the thick woods.<br /><br />
Lets look at this statement. Vang was "Threatened" by people in the woods 100 yards apart with no guns.<br /><br />He "HUNTED" down his victims. What country is this socially acceptable in?<br /><br />Lets put the entire concept of cultural differnces to bed.<br />
Minnesota state Sen. Mee Moua, one of two Hmong legislators there, rejected the idea that cultural differences played any role in the shooting.<br /><br />"He's probably crazy," she said.<br /><br />
Perhaps these were just overzealous hunters trying to take the law into their own hands?<br />
Jim Hill, the owner of Village Grocery in Haugen, estimated that three-quarters of the men in the area go hunting. Four-wheelers drive down the town's one street, and hunters step in and out of the grocery store in their hunting gear.<br /><br />Hill said disputes over tree stands are common in the woods. He's often walked out to one of his stands to find somebody else there. Hill calls the sheriff when they won't leave.<br /><br />Sheriff Meier said the shootings made no sense. "The demeanor makes no sense. The action makes no sense."<br />
I guess that doesn't hold water.<br /><br />These were good people, killed by a murderer. Blame race, blame the victims, blame society, but you are just fooling yourself. There is no "white" guilt here. There is no "American" conspiracy to knock off immigrants. Lived here over 30 years and the KKK hasn't reared its head in any hunting camp I've been to. A whacked out hunter who happens to be Hmong doesn't make the victims anything but victims. Racial profiling is illegal for law enforcement but seems to be the grounds for justification in this case. All alternate theories revolve around the race card/or the hollywood vision of the Wisconsin hunter. We may drive pickups instead of Mercedes here in the boonies, but the theory of tolerance isn't an invention of coastal liberals.<br /><br />We are not blaming the Hmong community for this guys action, just those of us blaming locals (people you don't even know) for their supposed involvement in this guys reaction, facts or no facts. <br /><br />It is my sincere hope that I never become this "enlightened". My only concern is with the families of those who were murdered.