Hunting party Slaughtered, 6 killed, 2 wounded

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
5 killed in Wisconsin shootings<br /> Terry Collins, Dennis Anderson, Chao Xiong and Chuck Haga,  Star Tribune <br /> November 22, 2004 HUNTERS1122<br /><br />At least five people were killed and three wounded in a multiple shooting in northwestern Wisconsin Sunday afternoon.<br /><br /> The dead include four men and one woman, according to broadcast reports.<br /><br />Chai Soua Vang, 36, was arrested early Sunday evening in Sawyer County, Wis., said Sawyer County Sheriff's Deputy Jake Hodgkinson. Vang lives on St. Paul's East Side, police spokesman Paul Schnell said. He was held in the Sawyer County Jail.<br /><br />Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Ziegle told KSTP-TV, Channel 5, that a man dressed in hunting clothes was occupying a tree stand on private property near Birchwood, Wis., around noon Sunday.<br /><br /> He did not have permission to hunt on the land and was asked by a group of deer hunters to leave.<br /><br />A confrontation ensued and the man left, then returned and opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle, Ziegle told the television station. (SKS 7.62x39)<br /><br />After one man was shot, he used a walkie-talkie to contact others in his party nearby that he needed help. When members of his party came out, they also were shot, Ziegle said.<br /><br />Officers arrested the man without incident ( after a five hour manhunt). His rifle was empty.<br /><br />Al Widiker, who owns a cabin about a quarter-mile from where the shooting occurred, said the incident happened on 80 acres of private property adjacent to thousands of acres of county-owned land that is a popular spot for people in the region's Hmong communities, who camp and hunt there.<br /><br />***********************************************************<br />Sketchy rumors of this story started popping up at the deer registration station where I was helping out, by 1:30 or 2pm. <br /><br />I can't believe those guys didn't plug the guy with a few.<br /><br />The hunt will continue for 7 more days. I say we turn him loose in the woods.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hunting party Slaughtered, 6 killed, 2 wounded

I want to reel off a bouquet of explatives but, since this is a family site .... you know.<br /><br />sad day in the outdoors to hear such a thing ...<br /><br /><br />btw roscoe - see anything come into the station worth mentioning??

Link

Rear Admiral

I can only assume when he called his party in that he thought he had been shot by accident and didn't know he was bringing them into the line of fire.<br />I'm also ammazed no one shot back! <br />You will have to give us more details when you can roscoe

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I saw a 14, a couple of 12's and quite a few 8-9-10 pointers today. Its been crummy windy wet weather up here. But the rut is still going on. Its usually over by now. Many hunters were able to get bucks that were chasing does. <br /><br />Talked to a friend from work tonight. His crew of 10 hunters has 16 hanging. But they are in an "earn a buck" zone, so they filled up on lots of does so they qualified for bucks.<br /><br />Brother in law and the crew I used to hunt with, 7 hunters, have 5 bucks so far. A 6, 7, two 8's, and a basket 12. Pretty good since they haven't taken that many bucks in the last 3 years combined. <br />BILaw also got 3 with the bow. One in Kansas, one near Waukesha, and one up here a few weeks ago. He goes back to Kansas with the gun next week.<br /><br />It will be interesting to see what the statewide harvest numbers are. The DNR wants 850,000 deer harvested. And thats ONLY 50% more than last years harvest.<br /><br />As for the shooting incident, I feel it may cause an escalation of friction between the locals, and the Hmong immigrants. There has been so much trouble with them that never makes the news. The total disregard for authority is unbelievable. The game poaching right in front of DNR wardens, the stealing, gang activity, etc, has really soured the atmosphere. These people have been given the world on a silver platter with benefits, housing, massive cash payments, and taxfree income. And the police and dnr are told to do nothing, at the urging of the State Department. All in the name of their grand social engineering experiment. Me thinks it would be a smart move for them to stay out of the woods this week. A lot of people were running off at the mouth tonight, and who knows if any of them will take it upon themselves to do something.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Idiots, now there will be more laws, more gun control, higher license fees, etc. This is how our state, federal, and local governments fix issues. JERKS

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

My wife thinks he may have been mentaly unstable...Perhaps an understatment on her part.<br /><br />Sounds like it is two fathers and three sons dead with two more in critical condition and one more hospitilized.

oddjob

Commander

Ya think Vang voted for Kerry....guess the sob felt he was entitled to hunt where he wanted...

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to kspt.com for the evolving story. They seem to be keeping up on it fairly well. It's about 25 miles from my place. I havn't heard many details that the press hasn't already published. I'll talk to some law enforcement and see what I can find. <br />Send a prayer out for the families and community.<br />Dman

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

NYM. My sentiments exactly.<br /><br />IMHO, the victims families should be able to determine the punishment.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Wait a friggen freight car minuet. So this guy was not a US citizen? Why in the heck does he have a gun?<br /><br />Sure is a sad story. I'm staying out of the woods during the shotgun season, gonna just hunt from my back kitchen window. Its warmer that way too.. :D :p

FSHKPR

Ensign

Wow! what the heck does any of this have to do with kerry?!!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, oddjob's comment was WAY off base!!!<br /><br />The first report I heard is that he went back to his car and came back with an assault rifle. If that's true and if we must politicize this insanity, I think oddjob's republican buddies in DC can consider that they have some of that blood on their hands considering the lapse of sanity in allowing the assault weapon ban to expire. But then, it was the first report. I haven't heard that since ... yet.

Homerr

Commander

I feel for the guys that were killed and injured... My condolences to their families.<br /><br />I would have killed that POS if I could.<br /><br />That's bad enough, but here's something else that AGAIN... frosts my a$$:<br /><br />
opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle, Ziegle told the television station. (SKS 7.62x39)
Do you see how quick the news pointed out the GUN ? A SKS 7.62 x 39. ??<br /><br />People get killed with rocks, axe handles, and even water... Are they going to tell us the composition of the rock, or the type of material the axe handle was made out of, or perhaps the saline content and water temperature was when the person(s) were killed?<br /><br />Sorry for the rant, but blaming the gun is so left-winger, I could just puke. <br />Get a clue morons... it's not the guns fault. Why even say what killed them other than a 'gun'? What difference does it make to call out "A BIG SCARY ASSAULT WEAPON" ? Idiots.<br /><br />I agree that this guy had absolutely no reason to have that type of gun hunting UNLESS it had the legal 5 round clip in it. (In my state, it's perfectly legal to hunt with that type of gun as long as it carried a 5 round clip)<br /><br />I hope the guy who did it fries.... But you wait... I bet he gets off because HE was the victim of something the courts haven't invented yet! <br /><br />EDIT...EDIT...EDIT...<br /><br /> :mad: <br /><br /><br />H.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Perhaps there wouldn't have been so many people killed if there wasn't such easy access to guns. The likelihood of him killing that number of people with a rock or an axe handle is not very high! Perhaps they need to tighten up on exactly who they allow to buy guns (ie. no psycho-maniacs)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Perhaps if we didn't have guns we would take to explosives. Guns aren't nearly as effective as explosives at killing people. Take a look at other countries histories.<br /><br />Perhaps with an eye for history our traditions take on a more reasonable, ethical, and understandable construct.

aspeck

Staff member

By JOSHUA FREED and ROBERT IMRIE, Associated Press Writer <br /><br />BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - As several deer hunters made their way through the woods of northern Wisconsin, they were startled to come upon a stranger in their tree stand. But what happened next was even more astonishing. <br /><br /><br />AP Photo <br /><br /><br />AP Photo <br /> Slideshow: Five Killed in Wis. Hunting Dispute <br /><br /> Hunters' Trespassing Dispute Leads to 5 Deaths<br />(AP Video) <br /> <br /> <br /><br />Asked to leave, the trespasser, wearing blaze-orange and carrying a semiautomatic assault rifle, opened fire on the hunters and didn't stop until his 20-round clip was empty, leaving five people dead and three wounded, authorities said. <br /><br /><br />The shooter was eventually captured. <br /><br /><br />The killings baffled authorities and stunned residents in a state where deer hunting is a rite of autumn — a sport practiced by thousands of people who scour the woods for nine days each November with hopes of bagging a trophy buck. <br /><br /><br />"This is an incredible tragedy, one in which a great family tradition like a deer hunt has turned into such a great loss," Gov. Jim Doyle said Monday. <br /><br /><br />Police identified the shooter as Chai Vang, 36, a hunter from St. Paul, Minn., who is a member of the Twin Cities' Hmong community. While authorities do not know why he allegedly opened fire, there have been previous clashes between Southeast Asian and white hunters in the region. <br /><br /><br />Locals have complained that the Hmong, refugees from Laos, do not understand the concept of private property and hunt wherever they see fit. In Minnesota, a fistfight once broke out after Hmong hunters crossed onto private land, said Ilean Her, director of the St. Paul-based Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans. <br /><br /><br />No one answered the door Monday at Vang's yellow, two-story house in a working-class neighborhood of St. Paul. A cardboard container for a hunting tree stand, an orange stocking cap and bottles of water could be seen through the windows of a front entryway. Several neighbors said they knew little about him, but some in the Hmong community have described him as an avid hunter. <br /><br /><br />Minneapolis police said they arrested Vang on Christmas Eve 2001 after he waved a gun and threatened to kill his wife. No charge was brought because she didn't cooperate with authorities, spokesman Ron Reier said. St. Paul police say they were called to Vang's house twice in the past year on domestic violence calls, but both were resolved without incident and no police reports were filed. <br /><br /><br />Other family members said they were shocked by the allegations in the hunting shooting. <br /><br /><br />"He is a reasonable person," his younger brother, Sang Vang, said. "I still don't believe it. He is one of the nicest persons. I don't believe he could do that. We are so devastated right now." <br /><br /><br />The five killed and three wounded were part of a group of 14 or 15 who made their opening-weekend trip to Robert Crotteau's 400-acre property an annual tradition. <br /><br /><br />The visit was like any other until around noon Sunday. When two or three hunters spotted a man in their hunting platform in a tree on Crotteau's land, they radioed back to the rest of the party at a cabin nearby, and asked who should be there. <br /><br /><br />"The answer was nobody should be in the deer stand," Sheriff James Meier said. <br /><br /><br />One of the men approached the intruder and asked him to leave, as Crotteau and the others in the cabin hopped on their all-terrain vehicles and headed to the scene. <br /><br /><br />"The suspect got down from the deer stand, walked 40 yards, fiddled with his rifle. He took the scope off his rifle, he turned and he opened fire on the group," Meier said. <br /><br /><br />One of the men who was shot called for help on his radio, but it was too late. The gunman fired again, hitting the people who had just arrived on ATVs. <br /><br /> <br /><br /><br />The gunman was "chasing after them and killing them," Deputy Tim Zeigle said. "He hunted them down." <br /><br />It is unclear whether anyone returned fire. The members of the hunting party had only one gun among them. <br /><br />The scene Meier described was one of carnage, the bodies strewn around 100 feet apart. Rescuers from the cabin piled the living onto their vehicles and headed out of the thick woods. <br /><br />"They grabbed who they could grab and got out of there because they were still under fire," Meier said. <br /><br />Someone in the group wrote the suspect's hunting license number, which hunters wear on their clothing, by tracing it on a dirty vehicle, Meier said. <br /><br />The shooter took off into the woods and eventually came upon two other hunters who had not heard about the shootings. Vang told them he was lost, and they offered him a ride to a warden's truck, Meier said. He was then arrested; authorities plan to bring charges against him later this week. Investigators said Vang was cooperating. <br /><br />Vang was carrying an SKS 7.62-mm caliber rifle, a cheap but powerful semiautomatic weapon, authorities said. <br /><br />Mike Bartz, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resource's regional warden supervisor for the area, said the SKS is legal for hunting in the state and has no restrictions. He said it is not uncommon to see hunters with the guns. <br /><br />"We see more and more of them being used. They're a fairly cheap weapon. They fire a cartridge very similar to a .30-30, which is a very common weapon used for deer hunting," Bartz said. <br /><br />Killed were Crotteau, 42; his son Joey, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; and Jessica Willers, 27. <br /><br />Meier said Vang was on the wrong tree stand because he had become lost and wandered unknowingly onto private property. The county has thousands of acres of public hunting land. <br /><br />In Minnesota, the arrest has left some Hmong citizens in his hometown fearful of a backlash. About 24,000 Hmong (pronounced "mung") live in St. Paul, the highest concentration of any U.S. city. <br /><br />In Wisconsin, the shooting has provoked a different kind of tension. <br /><br />"It's pathetic. They let all these foreigners in here, and they walk all over everybody's property," said Jim Arneberg, owner of the Haugen Inn in nearby Haugen. <br /><br />********************************************<br /> <br />Man, this just ticks me off for many different reasons!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

All the news politicaly correct to print..

NOSLEEP

Commander

This is a tragic story.<br />This couldn't of happened in Canada.<br />The government has safe guarded the criminal<br />use of firearms by forcing all firearms to be<br />registered. And everyone here knows a registered<br />firearm is a safe firearm. :rolleyes:

Dunaruna

Admiral

woops wrong thread, sorry.