HULL REPAIR QUESTION

tpenfield

Staff member
Based on what 'we' can see from the pictures, I'd say the current owner probably has run aground a few times and/or gotten towed off a few rock infested sandbars.

Understood about slim pickings in the marketplace, having just gone through the buying process myself. If you do go in this direction, you probably want to spend some time re-surfacing the bottom of the hull, just so you are avoiding any issues going forward.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the keel guard says the owner new he was beaching the boat and installed the keel guard. however I think he hit a few sandbars

the one thing that concerns me most is this:

img_0844-jpg.354836

besides the aftermarket drain plug, notice the repair work on the transom

it may be all fixable, however this is not a get in and go boat. this may cost you a few thousand or more to fix things.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just my 2 cents worth, but the bottom just looks like scratching from beaching a lot. I'd just gelcoat over to cover any spots where the fiber glass is exposed. You can't even see this in the water or on the trailer unless you crawl underneath. The drain plug area Scott mentioned may be just excess caulking, but I'd have a closer look. If the transom is good (check really well) and floors and what you can see below floors look solid, I wouldn't let the scratched bottom stop me. She looks nice and clean otherwise. Make sure also the bottom leg of the motor and prop. doesn't show any damage from running in shallow water, and check the gear oil. Good Luck!

Wbridger

Cadet
So after considering all the great points on both sides of the issue, I decided to take it on. But only if he’d discount it by $2k to cover materials and some of my labor. He declined. So I’ll move on. I’m sure eventually I’ll find what I’m looking for. Thank you all for your time. I learned a lot from this experience.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So after considering all the great points on both sides of the issue, I decided to take it on. But only if he’d discount it by $2k to cover materials and some of my labor. He declined. So I’ll move on. I’m sure eventually I’ll find what I’m looking for. Thank you all for your time. I learned a lot from this experience.
sounds like a smart move on your part

dwco5051

Commander
Well------It could also be that the previous owner had issues with a boat with ----OSMOSIS ----gelcoat blistering.-----Bought this boat new and smeared on a tar based barrier coat.---Added a keel guard for shallow water .-----Could not have cared for cosmetics.----This might in fact be a good deal.----Remove a square foot of this stuff and see what is there.
Have to agree. This might be a diamond in the rough but would require really checking to see what is there. It looks like it belonged to a serious flats fisherman with poor navigational skills. As far as the motor I know quite a few dedicated anglers who will keep up on engine maintenance but their boats look like well used farm pickups.

zool

Captain
you may find he comes back to you, especially if someone surveys the boat pre purchase.....that kind of damage will scare alot of buyers...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I know quite a few dedicated anglers who will keep up on engine maintenance but their boats look like well used farm pickups.
love old farm pickups..... my 1948 was used to herd cattle

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In my opinion, this is one of those boats from one of those YouTube videos that fell off the trailer at the ramp and they decided to either push it on to the water or drag it to the top of the ramp. No way would I have even considered buying something looking like that