HULL REPAIR QUESTION

Wbridger

Cadet
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and trying to buy my first boat (18-20ft bay boat). Have done a lot of research and youtubing trying to get smarter. Have looked at a lot of boats and I found one I really like. It's a 2006 Sea Pro 1900SV. It's in all around great shape and has everything I'm looking for in a boat, except it appears to have some hull damage. My question is, after you view the pics is this something I need to stay away from or is this reasonably fixable? I've looked at some you tube videos on gelcoat repair and I think I might be able to take it on. I've never repaired gelcoat or fiberglass but I've done some auto body repair and I'm very mechanically inclined. But if I was to take it to a shop for the repair do you have a ball park on what it would cost? Or, again, should I avoid at all costs? I don't have a big budget for a purchase so I'm willing to take on some repairs if I need to. Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    926 KB · Views: 40

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????-----Any other pictures of this boat.----Was somebody sipping / smoking something when they painted / worked on the bottom ?----I am not sure I would take this on.----And I am sure most shops would see a liability issue touching this " boat "---Only my opinion.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looks like scaring from beaching the boat

sand with 40 grit. Some thickened gel and spread like a spot putty. Then roll or spray gel

Then install a keel guard

zool

Captain
zooming in, it doesnt look like scaring, it looks like someone put a thick coating on with a broom,....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks like what I'd expect a boat that was dragged across a sandbar, after getting stuck, might look like

Buzzsaw420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
zooming in, it doesnt look like scaring, it looks like someone put a thick coating on with a broom,....
Looks like tar covered in paint, something I would keep away from, cheers.

tpenfield

Staff member
That looks bad . . . Not something you want to fuss with as a newbie.

A shop would be pricey, as I'm guessing the entire bottom may need to be re-gelcoated ??? Might be more than the boat $,$$$

What next on your list of boats ?

Wbridger

Cadet
That looks bad . . . Not something you want to fuss with as a newbie.

A shop would be pricey, as I'm guessing the entire bottom may need to be re-gelcoated ??? Might be more than the boat $,$$$

What next on your list of boats ?
I got nothing else. There is not a lot out there under $20K. I'm trying to stay with a boat made in this century. Everything is pretty raggedy. They all look good in pictures but then after you drive two hours to take a look at it the truth comes out. This one is no different. This has actually been the best of about 10 that I've looked at. If it wasn't for this hull damage I'd be buying it. Thanks for feedback.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That don't look good. Sandbar is my thought also. A shop would cost more than you think. I'd wonder if there were hidden cracks in the glass under there from beaching it too much.

Wbridger

Cadet
????-----Any other pictures of this boat.----Was somebody sipping / smoking something when they painted / worked on the bottom ?----I am not sure I would take this on.----And I am sure most shops would see a liability issue touching this " boat "---Only my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 23

Wbridger

Cadet
That don't look good. Sandbar is my thought also. A shop would cost more than you think. I'd wonder if there were hidden cracks in the glass under there from beaching it too much.
Excellent point here. Hidden cracks under the gelcoat in the fiberglass. Thank you.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just seeing them anchor spuds leads me to believe it was run in the shallows a lot. I'd wonder about the main motor eating sand also.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well------It could also be that the previous owner had issues with a boat with ----OSMOSIS ----gelcoat blistering.-----Bought this boat new and smeared on a tar based barrier coat.---Added a keel guard for shallow water .-----Could not have cared for cosmetics.----This might in fact be a good deal.----Remove a square foot of this stuff and see what is there.

zool

Captain
I see boat trader has 2 available in FL, one at $22,900 and another over $35k. Anything can be fixed and if ur willing to put in the effort and funds, you can fix it. Maybe offer a few K less to cover materials, PPE, and tools and repair it.

Wbridger

Cadet
Well------It could also be that the previous owner had issues with a boat with ----OSMOSIS ----gelcoat blistering.-----Bought this boat new and smeared on a tar based barrier coat.---Added a keel guard for shallow water .-----Could not have cared for cosmetics.----This might in fact be a good deal.----Remove a square foot of this stuff and see what is there.
I don't own it so unfortunately I don't have the luxury of pulling back a sq ft to verify if its a good deal or not. Thanks.

Wbridger

Cadet
I see boat trader has 2 available in FL, one at $22,900 and another over $35k. Anything can be fixed and if ur willing to put in the effort and funds, you can fix it. Maybe offer a few K less to cover materials, PPE, and tools and repair it.
This is along the lines that I've been thinking. Just wanted to get some advice from the good folks on this forum to verify I wasn't making a huge mistake. Thank you.