Hull Paint

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have just finished working on my boat. I am having a problem matching the hull paint. Anybody know what color the white paint is on my 1964 Glastron Starflite 142 boat?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
In 1964 it wouldnt have been painted, its gelcoat

If its been painted before, no idea what color that might have been, but its likely changed colors slightly since it was painted. So even if you knew exactly what paint color was used, it probably wouldnt match now.

Same for gelcoat, it changes colors slightly over time. Color matching gelcoat is tougher then color matching paint, as it changes more then paint does as it dries.

As you didn't post any pix of what the boat looks like now, I'd suggest you paint or gelcoat everything below the rubrail. That way it does match.

Same for the topsides. Paint or gel everything

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Glastron-Boat2.jpgHi jbcurt100, This is a picture of it. I know that it is gel-coat that's why it is so hard to match it. There is so many different whites I was hopping that some one would know the number of the white gel-coat that was used. The repair went well. Have not tested it for leaks yet tho

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Even if you knew the Gelcoat # it wouldn't match. The sun and water have faded it and changed it from it original factory color. Matching gelcoat IS an Art!!! A week after a PRO does a PERFECT match patch job it WON'T be!!!! the sun will start to fade and change the new gelcoat to a different color than the old stuff. That's why if you want it to ALL look the same it's best to do the WHOLE thing. Since gelcoating is intended to be done in a mold basically most people paint their hulls. You can spray gelcoat and get good results. Some of our members have done some Great jobs. It's a PITA!!! Most have done Paint!!! Do some searching on the forum and you'll see examples of both. Your boat looks a lot like my Blue Flamingo!!!:D;)

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Will guys, I think I will go online and find some good exterior marine paint. One that I think matches as close as possible and paint it. It is on the back of the boat so it should not show to much.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
OK, let's start over. What exactly are you trying to do to your boat???? If it's just a minor patch job then you might want to consider gelcoat. If it's a major Re-Coating of the entire hull, then painting might be the way to go. A better explanation of your task will give us a better guide to the solution.;)

Trains1938

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys, This is the boat that had a soft transom. I rebuilt it and now I need to paint it. So it's only the transom that I need to paint. The rest of the boat is in good shape and does not need to be painted.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With corners, being a transom to the side attachment, even if there is a little change in hue, it will not show so bad. As with most any project, the owner/doer knows all the flaws but unless you point them out, most anybody else will never know. JMHO!

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Did you rebuild the transom from the outside? Can you be more specific, do you need to paint the transom from outside or the inside of the boat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you're recoating the outside of just the transom then you can use either paint or Gelcoat and get a successful finish. Color matching won't be an issue. Since it's isolated to the transom, as gm280 suggests you won't notice a slight color variation with either. If it were me, I'd prolly roll on 3-4 coats of Gelcoat and then sand, buff and polish since gelcoat is much more durable and it's such a limited and easy to get to location.