hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

erik you forgot pictures of women in bikinis on boats drinking beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully in the cold!

LV2BT

Cadet

Hi all,

Yet another iboat newbie posting. Started reading this thread after bying a glasstron that needed a new deck and transom. I was going to get started next summer but this thread inspired me to get going over the holidays.

Long story short, being the stuborn (and recently motivated) SOB I am, I started the deck and transom replacement thinking I will stop when I get to the grinding part (Other 1/2 want no grinding dust in house and I'm working in a heated attached garage). In doing so, I stumbled upon an alternative to grinding (at least in the DEMO phase) that I haven't seen mentioned here. So far, I have managed to limit my grinding dust to rough' and scuff' only (which was done in a few hours with shop vac while the wife wasn't watchin') and I am virtrually ready to glass in the new deck. I thought I would post the approach for others to comment on as I find it hard to believe I would be the first to attempt this method.

Word of warning!!! the following may not be sutiable for the faint of heart as you may end up with a hole in your hull :eek:! I did when I came accross a poorly execute patch I had no idea was there when I bought the thing :mad:. The technique involves using an air chisel with various tips once you cut the deck off with the circular saw/saw of choice. My favourite tip was a sharp one side, dull on the other 1" flat chisel. With this tip, I was able to exploit the weaker bond between the tabing and the rest of the hull. I litterally peeled all the stringer and deck tabs off the raw hull without pulling out the grinder once :).

I am currious to know if this approach would work on all hulls or if I got lucky with the production methods used on mine only. I should note that the inner layer of my hull is woven roving and all the tabs were either chop mat or cloth. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Anyhow, glad to see you're getting back into it oops, I for one admire your perseverance on this project and appreciate you (and the rest of the oops crew!) taking the time to educate the rest of us. Keep up the good work!

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

erik you forgot pictures of women in bikinis on boats drinking beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully in the cold!
Bikinis, ... Who wants to see that?

It should have read ...

He forgot pictures of naked women on boats drinking beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully in the cold! (doink, doink) :eek: :D

Robj

Lieutenant

the big thing is where to start.....there is so much to report....i hsve over 500 pics and i dont want to leave out any thing....ill get the pics up right away....

cheers
oops

Still waiting..........can't wait to see all the progress. All the best for the new year and hope to see that sucker on the lake in the summer.

Have a great day

Rob.

mikastorm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I feel like its the day before xmas waiting to open the present.lol

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hi oops, whenever your ready will be fine, I'm just post padding until then :p

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

(yarn)

ajarvis

Cadet

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has posted information on this topic. I have been reading this over and over, and have gone back to re-read some sections when I thought I misunderstood something. The knowlege here is amazing and it's inspired me to take on a deck rebuild I never would have in the past.
I was talking with some guys about my rotted deck and they all said the boat's too far gone. I said "yeah, it's way too far gone. I'll just tear the whole thing out and replace it". Just tear it out and replace it.... I can't believe I said that. In convincing these guys I it wasn't that big of a job I was able to quote you guys on materials and fiberglassing issues to look out for. I even told them about some crazy guy that cut his boat in half because he wanted it 5 feet longer! They all agreed, he was crazy.
Well I'm going to start my deck rebuild, weather you know it or not, it will be with your help. Thanks again!!

captkevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Feel like a little kid the night before christmas waiting for to see these pictures

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

still waiting....waiting......waiting.......waiting...:D:D:D:p

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll call him and see if I can get him to post those pics. In all fairness his laptop is seriously on it's last legs and i'm surprised it hasn't gone up in smoke yet or should I say again. When he's using it there's a high pitched whine coming from it and it gets so hot you can't really call it a LAPtop any more. It got so hot it melted the keyboard foil under the keys so only half of them work.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's sad. A computer with minium capability to get on the internet and do what Oops needs from it is like $50 on CL. Someone send something up there. Good grief!!

erikgreen

Captain

Someone send him a spare netbook.

Heck, he could open up a micropayments donation line like on paypal and we could all donate :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'd even venture to say that since oops is personally responsible for 250,000 views on this site(generating ad $$$ for iboats) maybe they have an old PC laying around to donate to the cause.:D

I'm sure iboats would still come out on top monetarily even if they sent a new PC, especially since the number of hits on this thread will skyrocket as soon as new pics are added= guaranteed revenue.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

still waiting waiting waiting:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I hope hes working his but off on the boat.If he post 1 pic of that ride kicking waves Id be happy.

sprintst

Commander

The guy donates a ton of time, though he loves it, to the forum.

I'm still for the idea of getting him to setup a paypal account and we can throw him something when we find entertainment or ideas.

Let's get him to add a link so we can pay him back for his contributions.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

sprintst Re: hull extension in progress with picks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The guy donates a ton of time, though he loves it, to the forum.

I'm still for the idea of getting him to setup a paypal account and we can throw him something when we find entertainment or ideas.

Let's get him to add a link so we can pay him back for his contributions.
Count me in. :cool::D
Bob

martyh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Following this thread it is obvious that Oops has a fan club. Perhaps the feedback and questions from other members is what has kept him going and motivated into the wee hours of the early mornings (unless he really just like the fumes?lol) on this huge project. Perhaps everybody has learned at least one thing from reading the posts that they have used on there own projects or past onto other boaters.

That leads me to ask one question, I seen one, unless I missed more but, while we are waiting for more pictures to appear, has anybody else been inspired or had the thought of stretching there beloved boat and openly admit it or is Oops the only one crazy enough to actually go through with it?

sprintst

Commander

Many probably have thought of it but who has actually followed through and documented it.. Poor crazy basta*d :) Maybe Vincent Van Gogh wouldn't have cut his own ear off had someone set him up with a new laptop.

It would be fun to just have a beer with the guy. Might turn into a bender though.

Status
Not open for further replies.