How to winterize a jetski

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All,

Being new to jetskiing, I thought I'd post this video that I found on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDNCW0FabP0

It looks pretty simple, but one comment to the video said that you should run anti-freeze through the engine to be safe. Does anyone know how to do this and if it is a good idea. I'm in Texas, but it did drop down to 11 degrees one night last year.

texasvet

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to winterize a jetski

put the antifreeze in thru the flush valve.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

put the antifreeze in thru the flush valve.

Should I drill a hole in the bottom of a five gallon bucket and connect my adapter hose to the bucket and the flush valve, fill the bucket with anti-freeze and let the engine run for a 20 seconds to run the anti-freeze through or is there a better way?

Also, should I use pure anti-freeze or a 50/50 mix?

Thanks,
texasvet

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

The need for anti-freeze depends on the model of ski. Newer Yamahas and some of the Kaw skis are designed to be self draining, and if you take a little time to blow excess water out of the system you can leave them outside in the cold north with no problem. In fact the only way to effectively put anti-freeze in these skis is with a pressurized system. Many guys don't realize this, and 90% of the anti-freeze ends up on the ground.......they have no problems, because they didn't need anti-freeze to start with and the self draining design saves them.

SeaDoo skis with their closed loop cooling systems are a different story and the procedure varies somewhat between the 2 and 4 stroke models.

What model ski do you have.....that will determine the need for, and the procedure for doing anti-freeze.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

SeaDoo skis with their closed loop cooling systems are a different story and the procedure varies somewhat between the 2 and 4 stroke models.

What model ski do you have.....that will determine the need for, and the procedure for doing anti-freeze.

I have a 95 SeaDoo XP and a 96 SeaDoo GTI. Both have the same 717 Rotax engine. Can you tell me whether they need antifreeze or direct me to where I can find the info?

Thanks,
texasvet

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Status
Not open for further replies.