New to boating, live in PA

travbl

Seaman
I am new to boating and I am just wondering where are the best places to go. We live in Allentown PA and I know of Beltzville and Lake Wallenpaupack. Any advice going to these places or any other places would be much appreciated. Thanks. We have a 20 ft stingray by the way.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New to boating, live in PA

Blue Marsh in Reading is nice. Google it for more info.
If you want REAL water, you're only 1 1/2 hours to the Chesapeake, where I spend my leisure time....

travbl

Seaman

Where would I go to go on the Chesapeake? I'm not familiar with that area, where would I launch at?

Blue Crabber

Ensign

There are several places on the upper bay to launch.

Charleston Marina (in Charleston, MD) has a public ramp (I don't believe there is a charge) You can access the marina by taking Route 40 to Route 7 which runs right into Charleston.

On Route 272 South you will find Elk neck state park. The park has multiple ramps but there are fees to use. Refer to these sites:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/elkneck.html

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/oc.html

You are actually puting in at Rogues Harbor. There are 4 lanes at the boat launch so it keeps things moving.

The are many more marinas available that you can use too, most will charge a fee of some kind. A few in North East MD, Some in Georgetown, MD on the Sasafrass River and I believe some in Havre De Grace as well. (Altough if you go to Havre De Grace there will be a fee to use the bridge which will allow you to use it for the next year.)

As far as where to go on the water.... That is an endless possibility!

Check out Havre De Grace, neat town with free transient docks. You can check out 3 lighthouses (Turkey Point, Fishing Battery and Havre De Grace). Boat up the Susquehanna River to Perryville and Port Deposit. Check out the North East river and Chesapeake City in the C & D canal. Tube and ski or just cruise the Bohemia and Sasafrass rivers. As you can see, there are tons of places to go on the Bay and this is just the upper 15(?) miles of the bay!

More on here will be able to tell you more than i can as well. For a good thread on boating the upper chesapeake check out this link under the "boating destinations" area:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=189770

Hope all of this info helps! Have fun out there!

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Lake Clarke and Lake Conowingo on the Susquehanna are nice. Probably a bit of a haul from your area though.

BeeLiner*87

Cadet

Come to DE!!! Put in at Delaware City public ramp...Access to C and D canal, Chesapeake City(the INN). You can also get to DE River and Beautiful Pea Patch Island (awesome Civil War Fort)
the C and D connects with Chesapeake and places like Turkey point and several marinas with libations galore...

Have fun!!:D

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's about 3 hours from you, but Lake Raystown is nice. It's the largest lake in Pennsylvania (largest man made lake in the east I believe). The property around the lake is all state owned, which means there's no development. Down side is that the only lodging close by are campsites, and some cabins and a resort. The upside to this is that it is a beautiful lake, so it may be worth the drive, at least once a year or so.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I have been wnating to check out Rayston for a while now. I am thinking about heading out for a weekend this summer.

Have you stayed at any of the campgrounds? How about the ones that are only accessible by boat?

I know it is a pretty big lake, how crowed does it get on the weekends?

Thanks!

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome. Don't make a special trip to Blue Marsh, IMHO Beltzville is probably nicer.

I'm in Berks County so this is all good info for me too.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

we boat at beltsville as well.We also enjoy going down to the Chesapeake bay. We live in palmerton which is just north of allentown

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

The pa fish commision had a great link to pa boating waters with lists of ramps and what boats are suitiable in thoes areas (drafts) of corse i did not save it and it was removed from there site. Now you have to purchase a paper map with this info on it from them....boy the state tries to suck every dime out of you....the above places every body listed are good areas maybe the northern NJ and southern NY guys have some good spots closer to you.
Lake Wallenpaupack and blue marsh are the only places in your area i see worth while in your area (Pennsylvania waters).
Beltzville has too many restrictions for me, you cant go over 40 mph Not allowed to operate in boards with thru hull exhausts etc.
Denny

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah but i live 10 minutes away from beltzville. Plus we own a 27 foot cabin cruiser so my chooses are limited beltzville or the bay

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I am new to boating and I am just wondering where are the best places to go. We live in Allentown PA and I know of Beltzville and Lake Wallenpaupack. Any advice going to these places or any other places would be much appreciated. Thanks. We have a 20 ft stingray by the way.

I purchased my 18' Celebrity in 1991. By about 1994 I was totally fed up with the @#$% idiots on jetskis ramping off my wake at Blue Marsh and Beltzville. Lake Wallenpaupac gets whipped up more on the weekends than the Chesapeake Bay with a storm rolling in.

Now I just jump on the turnpike and head north. We've been going to Whispering Pines on Charleston Lake in Ontario Canada. It's just across the border and we can comfortably tow there in 6 hours.

Nice people and even the jetskiers are courteous and follow the rules.

Jeff

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

We've been going to Whispering Pines on Charleston Lake in Ontario Canada. It's just across the border and we can comfortably tow there in 6 hours.

Jeff

CHARLESTON LAKE!!! Now there's a place rooted it my memories! Went there every year for the first or second week of pike nearly every year since I was a kid, till I had kids. Caught some super fish over the years - had the biggest largemouth of my life there tossing a Rebel off the dock in front of our cabin. I was probably 12 - my knees were shakin. Stayed at Cam's Cabins for years then moved to Lake Line. Gosh, I've been thinking of going back but wondered what it's like. Send me a pm if you have any details, I'd love to go. You sure it's only six hours? Man, it seemed like forever when you're a kid lying in the backseat. :D

Sorry for the memory trip everyone...

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

CHARLESTON LAKE!!! Now there's a place rooted it my memories! Went there every year for the first or second week of pike nearly every year since I was a kid, till I had kids. Caught some super fish over the years - had the biggest largemouth of my life there tossing a Rebel off the dock in front of our cabin. I was probably 12 - my knees were shakin. Stayed at Cam's Cabins for years then moved to Lake Line. Gosh, I've been thinking of going back but wondered what it's like. Send me a pm if you have any details, I'd love to go. You sure it's only six hours? Man, it seemed like forever when your a kid lying in the backseat. :D

Sorry for the memory trip everyone...

Yup, 6 hours towing my 18' Celebrity i/o with a '01 2500 Suburban with a 6.0L I'll let you know how long the tow is with a 24' pontoon after the end of May. :D

PM sent. Click the underlined Whispering Pines for the camp website.

capped

Cadet

I spend most my of time at Beltzville since i live in Slatington(bit south of lake). I also like to boat on the lehigh river but i only have a small aluminum. Wish there were some more lakes around here, oh well.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Charleston Marina (in Charleston, MD) has a public ramp (I don't believe there is a charge) You can access the marina by taking Route 40 to Route 7 which runs right into Charleston.

Free ramp, $8 to park in the lot across the street.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Free ramp, $8 to park in the lot across the street.

You are correct- the (town-owned) Charlestown ramp is free, but it's NEXT to Charlestown Marina, not in it. The parking fee is payable at the Wellwood, which is also a great place to dine!