FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I just got a 1981 16ft Sea Sprite that either has the clear coat coming off or just needs a scrub down. I tried to use my finger to rub it off and it sortive seems to work. I didn't know if anyone had this same issue or had any advice. Thanks
My first thought would be to wash it throughly with boat soap and see how it comes out, may just be grime on the surface, at any rate it will give you a better idea if there is a clear coat finish that is coming off.
There are a lot of buffing compounds out there. If the washing doesn't do anything.(probably won't) then you need to get going with some elbow grease. A good rubbing compound and a variable speed buffer does wonders. If that doesn't do it then there is always wet sanding. I started out with 400grit then went to 1000grit. then buffed that out.. Looks great. I used some Maguires diamond cut rubbing compound. That really gets after it. Good luck.
just so you know, boat 1010 was working gelcoat which is much thicker than paint, if you should have to use any sandpaper I would go with 2000 wet.
400 is really aggressive and 1000 is really to heavy for a finish sand, I work in a body shop part time and we use 2000 then a good finish compound, try just the compund first before going to any kind of paper.
I used stuff from Auto zone, it was 3M finish compound but they will have it at any auto parts store, they usually have more wax and stuff than car parts anymore.
If you do it by hand it is really hard to screw it up but if you use a buffer keep moving and watch corners and body lines as you will burn through.
Ok, I tried useing some 1000 grit paper with water it seem to help but, on the spot i was working I seem to still have some white chaulk looking stuff still on it. Will these come off will compound or should I be doing something different. Sorry to sound new at this I just want to make my old boat to look like new. I guess high hopes. Thanks to all who have posted.
I know I buffed my boat real good with an electric buffer few years ago with compund that was designed to use on fiberglass, looked pretty good to and in a few days it basically looked like it did before I started.
search posts by Mark42 (polishing the gel coat is working great!) posted May 22nd 2004. I'm gonna try it when the weather clears up just not sure weather to use paste or liquid? after the comet