How To Check Choke

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am finishing the rebuild on my 81 115hp - I am thinking the choke solenoid is sounding a bit different these days. I hear a little click, but I am not convinced that it is working right.

Can anyone tell me what position is the manual position on the choke solenoid?

I have started it before but was hard, but once running, seemed to run fine.

Thanks,
SM

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: How To Check Choke

To operate by pushing in the ignition key, the red lever should be in line with the solenoid cylinder. To operate manually, the red lever should be perpendicular to the primer solenoid cylinder.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

would nt the 81 have butterflys, my 81 60 hp does? NOt an expert by any means though.

-Nate

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Guess we will find out when Swampmouse returns. The 1981 115 model that I work on has the newer carburetors with no choke plates.

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No choke plates on mine.

I actually went out and simply took the sucker off and tinkered with it. I discovered what Ezeke said - parallel with the solenoid = auto choke on.

I am guessing it is working - altough I cannot get it started today. It's been rebuilt and started 2 times, but that was a couple months ago. I think I need to put some mixed gas into a squirt bottle and shoot it in the carbs to get her going.

Thanks guys.

Sm

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The primer solenoid is just a valve and cannot supply pressure. Initially the pressure for a cold start with a primer solenoid comes from your squeezing of the primer bulb, then from the fuel pump.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Turn it to the manual position and give the bulb a few squeezes and see if it starts...