How much vinyl to reupholster pontoon boat seats?

GinaW

Cadet
How much vinyl on average would you say it takes to reupholster seating on a 22 ft pontoon? Or any size pontoon for that matter? I've done the calculations and I'm thinking I'm WAAAY off. I've been googling for days and I'm about to resort to guessing. Or drawing a number.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Measure what ya got and add a few yards extra ... are you going back with 2 colors ? If it were me I think I would do away with the black ....Where I live it would be brutal during the summer ....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hi Gina. Welcome to iBoats.

Vinyl is almost always 54" wide. For most of the cushions, that width will be plenty and you can just measure the depth of the cushions and add that to the total you need. On the long cushions you will have to use the length measurement and add it in. That would give you the absolute maximum that you need. Of course you will have some waste and be able to use some of the extra pieces for your smaller cushions. Since most cushions are not one complete piece that helps you eliminate waste.

Here is another site that you should look at:
http://www.upholster.com/upholstery-forum/

You have a commercial walking foot machine?

Last edited:

GinaW

Cadet
The vinyl I'm using is 54"- I calculated by multiplying
length x width (adding extra to each measurement to accommodate for the measured height of the foam and the 1" seam allowances) which gave me the area in sq inches.
Then multiplied by 0.00694 to convert to sq feet.
Then divided that by 13.5 to give me number of square linear yards

I'm also building a removable seat to go in the bow section and a cover for the changing area (which was lost on the highway on our way to take her on her her maiden voyage).
I came up with
25 yards of a tan color that will go in place of the dark green
30 yards of an off white color that will go in place of the white looking color.
I'm using Spradling's softside Navigator vinyl. (Researched the dickens out of types of vinyl- it's good stuff!)
But 55 total yards just seems like an awful lot of fabric...
That sound anywhere near right or think I should take another look at my calculations?

Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That does seem pretty high. For example, I made a cover for my 21' pontoon and I used less than 30 yards of fabric for the whole thing.

For example, let's say you had seats along the entire length of the pontoon and it was 21'. That's 7 yards for the seat and 7 yards for the back for a total of 14 yards. Multiply by 2 for the opposite side and you would only have 28. And that would have a ton of waste!!!

What is the weight of that vinyl per linear yard? The stuff I have used before was 32oz. I used Morbern Seabrook because they made matching hidem and welting so you didn't have to make your own.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm No I'd say that's Way off. Here's and example. If your longest couch seat is 8ft long and 2ft high and 2 ft deep and 6 inches thick (I Know it's prolly not even close to this but bear with me) and let's say the vinyl covers the back side of the seat too and the back is 30" high. If you were able to lay out the vinyl in one large piece to cover this seat it would be approximately 12ft long and 8 ft wide. Given that vinyl is 54" wide then you would need 4 yards for the length and then another 4 yards to accomadate the width so a total of 8 yards. If it's two tone then it would be about 50/50 or 60/40 or what ever proportions for the colors. Hope this helps. Unless you have 6 8ft couch type seats I don't see how you could possibly need this much vinyl. A typical seat is about 16" deep and 16" tall. I made a 60" wide bench seat from scratch for my boat..4" thick foam, Two tone Blue and White and I used 2 yards of each color. (Wasn't a full wrap)

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-a-bench-seat-frames-foam-upholstery-w-videos

This "Bad Drawing" might help you understand what I'm having difficulty explaining.

Last edited:

GinaW

Cadet
I thought 55 sounded like a massive amount! I recalculated using Bruceb's method of adding up the depths and still came in high- around 40.
I don't know what I was thinking when I took the measurements?? It seems I was very generous with my seam allowances etc...
So I'm gonna round down and do 20 yds glacier, 15 yds stone and maybe a few yards of a darker color for an accent. (I bet all I really need is 15 & 10. But I'd rather be over than under)
The vinyl is 29oz and I have a sailrite ultrafeed so once I get everything ordered the sewing part should be pretty smooth. I'll start a new thread & post pics as i progress. I'm sure I'll be looking for advice along the way
Thanks y'all!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The vinyl is 29oz and I have a sailrite ultrafeed so once I get everything ordered the sewing part should be pretty smooth.
That's a good machine. I use a Consew 226R. Make sure you use polyester thread and use a long stitch. Longer stitch means less holes.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, you should have PLENTY. Are you using Welting? Have you sewn vinyl before? Where are you getting your supplies? I have a very good online supplier with very good prices and excellent customer service if you need a resource. Marine Vinyl, Thread, Sunbrella the works!!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Woodonglass, I am curious how much your supplier has Sunbrella for. I go through TriVantage but you have to have an account with them. Sunbrella is around $15/yard for 60".

Nice thing about vinyl is that good vinyl is less than $12/yard.

For vinyl, I often just go through Rochford Supply. Sometimes less of a hassle than going through TriVantage. This is the vinyl I have used:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/T...nyl/index.html
These guys have the welting pre made for it. As you can see, they charge a lot more for the vinyl itself.
http://www.garysupholstery.com/mb-seabrook.html

Last edited:

GinaW

Cadet
I haven't sewn vinyl before but in the next few days, I'll get some practice! I'd love to hear where you buy from woodonglass- I use a local supplier for the vinyl and the sunguard thead (92 polyester UV treated) but they don't carry sunbrella. They carry a brand called Recacril- they say it's better than Sunbrella bc it has a tighter weave and won't sag after years like sunbrella and the co has been around for a hundred years. But I've never heard of them. Any thoughts on Recacril vs sunbrella?
They also don't carry the higher quality of carpet I'm looking for- any suggestions on brands or suppliers? I love the HB Compass but not for the price- it's something like $150-$200 per yd. So I figure I'd settle on a higher end carpet- but haven't seen much on the topic

GinaW

Cadet
And thanks for that detailed drawing woodonglass- for some reason it's just now showing up in my iPad! Gives me a great idea to build some loungers with the leftover vinyl, should I find myself in such a fortunate situation :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a 12 year old boat cover that I made out of Sunbrella. Don't really have sag issues. I only use Sunbrella.

Here is the picture of the pontoon cover I just made.
pontoon_cover.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Next cover I make is going to be using SolarFix thread. It is a PTFE thread. Pretty expensive but the stitching will outlast the cover. Many people also use it for vinyl as well.

GinaW

Cadet
Nice! A new cover is next on my list. Do you get the solarfix thread from Trivantage as well? I don't know much about thread other than I know I need#92 uv treated polyester.

Sunbrella has made a name for itself for a reason so I'm not sure that I trust such a big job to a name that's new to me. But I'll do some checking around and see what folks say- Maybe I'll test it out on something smaller on down the road

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, I'm just a Small time DIY'r and I've been using an eBay retailer out of Florida for 3yrs. TrimJobber. They specialize in Factory closeouts and End run products. I get some GREAT deals cuz I don't order in Large quantities. As long as my orders are under 20 yards I have no issues. Sunbrella is anywhere from $9.99 to $17.99 a yard depending on size and quality. Vinyl from $5.99 to $25.99 depending on quality. He has some real quality stuff and also some JUNK. You have to SHOP but like I said you CAN get some really good deals. His thread etc. is all top of the line and good prices. Shipping is good and always quick. He will work with you on color matching and etc... Really great guy.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Being the C.O.B. That I am I used a Coat Hanger, my Weller 8200 Soldering gun and hammer to make my own "Hot Knife" It works Great!!! I'll try and post a pic this weekend when I get back to the shop. It's 22 degrees right now sooo, I'm stayin inside!!!! If you don't have a soldering gun you can usually buy em on eBay for $10 -$20 bucks and them make the "Knife Blade" from a coat hanger real easy. Just beat the "Blade" out flat with a hammer, then grind it flat, then bend it into shape. Made mine in about 10 minutes. Or you can buy a Weller "Rope Cutter" blade for $10 bucks and do the same thing but making your own works just as good if not better.