How much vinyl to reupholster pontoon boat seats?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I have a bunch of sewing projects that I do so I bought the Engel Knife. I can see how it wouldn't be worth it if you only used it a little. I like buying tools so I didn't have a problem with it. Same applys for my snap tool, EZ fit pins...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, if I was IN the business I'd be the same way. You do really Nice work. Where are you located. Have you "Pinned" yourself on our Members Map?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am in Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley. I am on the members map just west of QC.

My mom used to make a lot boat covers as a side job. She taught me how to sew. We both have commercial Consew machines.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Kool, From the Looks of your pics I thought your were someplace WARM!!!! Your Mom taught you well!!! I'm self-taught and still learning with every job. I really enjoy it! Just like wood working. Creating something from nothing!!!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I learn as I go along too. Learn a ton from the people on the upholstery site I listed earlier.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I'm a member there too!! They KNOW their stuff!!! I get LOTS of help from Mike!!!

GinaW

Cadet
I've never used a hot knife (or seen one for that matter) but there's something cool about using hot metal to cut through things. I will definitely be utilizing one of these. My grandfather may have one buried in his shop somewhere- It looks like he has every tool made since 1952. But with temps in the 30s in Alabama it can wait a bit... Our thin southern blood freezes at 40 degrees

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I've never used a hot knife (or seen one for that matter) but there's something cool about using hot metal to cut through things.
Beats the heck out of cutting with scissors and you never have a fraying issue.

I know we have strayed away from your original vinyl questions but hopefully this helps for your next task. When you do get to your pontoon cover, I can give you some tips and things I would do differently the next time.