How do I move my heavy boat dock on wheels?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 20 foot long, 4 foot wide, heavy wooden dock on big steel wagon wheels, two, on one end- the end that goes into the water. I want to build a "wagon" or something so I can push this down to the water, which is very far away. I cannot drive my truck to the water's edge. Any ideas>?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How do I move my heavy boat dock on wheels?

on big steel wagon wheels, two, on one end- the end that goes into the water.

Ayuh,...

Can you move the Wheels closer to the Center,...
Balance the Weight,+ it'll push pretty Easy....

a70eliminator

Captain

Can you get the front up on a wheel burrow? are you doing this all yourself?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pvc pipes. round fence post. slip them under it as you roll it.

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use a come-a-long and a length of rope. Fasten the come-a-long to the dock; secure the rope to an anchor point (possibly a steel pipe driven in the ground, or ?.) and hand winch it down to where you need it to be.

You may have to relocate the anchor point and shorten the rope a number of times (with each forward move). However a quality come-a-long would be able pull this size dock along, wheels or no wheels.

nlain

Commander

When I built my floating dock it was about 100' from the water, when I was ready to put it in the water I got some long boards, short pieces of 3" pipe, one board on the ground, pipe on that board, another board on top of the pipe, as long as you have enough to keep moving one set back to the front while the other is near a balance point you keep moving them and push right on into the water. In my case I am on a tidal stream so I waited until almost high tide when the water was moving very slow, I got on the dock and my wife pushed it into the water, I rode it out and the water carried it to the stationary dock where I got the pipes I had suspended on ropes and pulled out to the end and let the water turn the dock, then I attached it to the pipes and the cross cables to hold it in place.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Can you get the front up on a wheel burrow? are you doing this all yourself?

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I am doing this with one other guy and the wheel barrow idea is a good one, suppose I will need to get a heavy duty wheel barrow. I am also considering a landscaping hardtruck. I need to go quite a distance, 300 feet or so, and need to roll it over a little drainage ditch. Will let everyone know how it goes!

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a Jerr-Dan tilt-up tow truck. The rest is history.