Question for Admin5 and others about this Board

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Question for Admin5 and others about this Board

BTW Suzukidave...I caught over 100 crappie and a couple of 12# channel cats this morn. Some people say I fish too much, I say they don't fish enough...just a Thought ;)

humblechoice

Seaman

whatever you decide is ok with me ,I go with the flow. :) :)

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree there a lot of posts and it can be a daunting task just to paruse the titles. The problem with breaking up E&M would be coming up with the perfect catagories. Case in point: a split between electrical and fuel issues would seem logical. But I had what seemed to be an electrical problem until receiving some really good advice. I have now convinced myself it was a fuel issue.<br /><br />Of all the catagories proposed so far, I am partial to what JB has proposed. The general buckets are best, like.. <br /><br />- I got a problem<br />- I don't know what I got<br />- I got something, but I don't know how to do it<br />- I gotta know about a brand<br />- I don't know where to ask this<br /><br />That's my story and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

ebbtide176

Commander

i've learned volumes from nearly everyone, even neat things like cultural traits & political history here :D

nnosker

Cadet

Alright, putting on thinking cap even though its a little too loose.<br /><br />Having a forum is great. I found alot of suggestions in here, but what I thought that might help out since I see alot of the same people answering the same questions, and or on here alot.<br /><br />Would setting a live chat up help out any. That would help alot for people that dont know where to begin to look. Considering there is alot of helpful people in here. A good javascript chat shouldnt dog the server, and you can host free chats from various places also. I definately agree on not expanding too far, and maybe not by the year either, or if you do, make sure you set one for main questions for the people that dont know the year or make. Also, I noticed a common question is finding the year, make and model for a boat with the serial number. Setting up a good javacript post button with the serial number wouldnt be too hard to make, but would take some time to do it. Would help out alot I believe, and make it easier to hand out the info on what they need help with for ones that cant find the year and want to help out.<br /><br />Enough jabbering here, thinking cap is starting to get tight.

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys,<br /> Why don't you give it a couple months before making any decisions to start splitting up the engines and motors section. Right now it's that time of year when everyone is getting their boat out from being up all winter. I have a couple buddys that do nothing but work on Outboards. This is the time of year that they are the busiest. It makes sense that this forum will also be the busiest at this time. Why not wait till the dust settles before there are any decisions made.

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont contribute much usable knowledge on this board but read it every day. I believe that software that "searched" previous posts for similar words and directed you there first before your post could be 'posted' would be a good start. There are a ton of duplicate posts or even similar questions, that would be resolved by reading up on older answers that could help you tweak your question to get a better response. If the software could match one two common words like: oil, mercury, battery, electrical, cooling, powerhead, etc. it would take you to all similar older posts to review before you posted your question. Just a thought.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Gents.<br /><br />I've run about a dozen scenarios like my first post.<br /><br />Every time I come up with too many fora. :( <br /><br />This is my best try:<br /><br />1. Outboard engine trouble.<br />2. I/O or inboard engine trouble.<br />3. Engine question that isn't trouble.<br /><br />Do you think that would help? :confused:

clanton

Rear Admiral

Whatever you do , just make sure it is fun. I know that having a broken engine is not fun, but I enjoy the board.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not trying to revive this post but just to bring the results to the attention of Admin5 if he didn't check it after the weekend. JB's last post came the closest to a change that might work but I think the unhappy faces he used show he's not completely satisfied.<br /><br />I'd say there's no consensus and enough disagreement that even in the imperfect world of making executive decisions it wouldn't be right to go ahead with a change yet.<br /><br />I suggest we sit back a few weeks and see how things go. At the rate the board is growing right now, we may have a different ballgame by July.<br /><br />One more comment, one of the problems I have with browsing these days is I don't have time on one visit to check all the posts. The problem is that I then lose track of new v. old posts after one visit because the colour warning for new posts disappears. Is there a way to keep these markers so I know where to start on a later visit?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think it doesn't need alot of breaking down..<br /><br />1. Powerhead issues. (electrical, fuel, mechanical)<br />2. everything else. (leg, lowerunit, trim, prop etc)<br />3. OB/IO related. (steering, controls guages etc.)<br /><br />If you put 20 categoris in, you will get some that are nearly empty.. <br /><br />the engines and motors cat is not so busy that it can sustain 20 sub cats.. but 3 is acceptable and in fact desireable.<br />Though a better word for "everything else" would be necessary. :)<br /><br />just my thouthts..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^

G DANE

Commander

I think JB´s suggestion would work, because:<br /><br />Its easy to determine which category to post in.<br /><br />A category will have the attention from all, wanting to assist.<br /><br />Its not that many to make it confusing and just consume more time.<br /><br />3 categories - id buy that one !

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for everyone's input on this. We will decide what to try within the next few days and let you all know. You can then comment on it before we implement whatever, if anything at all. Whatever we do will not be unchangable or be uncapable of switching back to the way it is now.

tuhuna

Cadet

What great things great minds can do. The 3 topics jb suggest is good and a bolder emphasis on the search function will work. Thanks to all. T