How do I make dock lines?

januarysails

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought 300 ft of 1/2 inch braided line for 30 bucks. For that price I knew I needed it. How do make dock lines with it. My lines now have the loop. Is there a safe way to make the loop myself? Any ideas would be great.

Hondo65

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How do I make dock lines?

You could get a Boy Scout Handbook and learn to splice in you loops. Knots and rope work is one area where no matter how good the instructions are I am all thumbs. But I know that the BSA Handbook has a ton of info on knots and etc.

Hondo

45Auto

Commander

The local Academy store here has finished 1/2" dia, 15' long dock lines in any color you want for $3.99 each.........

arks

Lieutenant Commander

If it's double-braid, then it's pretty hard to splice, but regular single braid is easy- it just takes some practice and time. Google it to get more info. Here's a good site to get you started:
http://www.ropeworks.biz/text04/s.html

Coors

Captain

You can buy the thimble with a tutorial at any boat store, or Walmart.

Last edited:

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

You can learn the art of splicing on line. Just go to ask.com or Google and type in how to spice rope. Numerous sites will come up. Many of them show you how to do it step by step with pictures to take you through the process. With a little practice, you will become a pro in no time.
Nightstalker

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

I bought a Full Spool of double braid a couple years ago,.....

I just tie a Bowline in the end I want a loop at........

Coors

Captain

Ain't nothing better than knowing good knots that hold. My father (ww11 navy), taught me knots that work well, even on-shore.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

You would use a fid to seperate the braid and follow up by inserting the end of one of the braids into the gap created by the fid and continue with the next seperated braid.

Remeber that you will only want to seperate the braids a certain distance at the end of the line so apply some tape or a wire tie to stop the unraveling of the line beyond what you will need to complete the loop.

When you google the specific directions for your type of rope and splice you will know what I am saying.

On my first attempt there was about 12 feet of unraveled braids and then each individual braid also came apart.

From this I quickly found that each individual end of each braid must be secured...melted, dipped...your choice.

Find a comfortable spot and go to it !

Enjoy