How come some people can't write?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: How come some people can't write?

Some people have a hard time putting their feelings into thoughts.Mostly because their feelings are almost like pictures or short movie clips in their mind.It is very hard to describe what your inner eye sees,mostly because it is fine tuned to your way of feeling and sensing things.If having to translate feelings into thoughts is hard,then translating these thoughts into written words is even tougher. <br />Not to worry though,writing is really an acquired skill.Learning it,hones your communication skills.This helps you in a thousand different ways.

LubeDude

Admiral

Its the most frustrating thing there is, You try to be simple so you dont talk over someones head, and then someone wants more detail. Then you write in more detail, and what you actually ment gets turned around (or so it seems) from what you actually ment. Then you try and explain yourself, tempers flair and (POOF)!!!<br /><br />Like we have never had that happen???<br /><br />There are some here that just try and make trouble, and thats all there is to it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> Not to worry though,writing is really an aquired skill.Learning it,hones your communication skills.This helps you in a thousand different ways.
Who knows, OMC? Maybe you will even learn to be Progressive. ;) :p :D

NOSLEEP

Commander

Who would care what every one thinks.<br />If you dont like me. Bite me.<br /><br />But seriously, is this my best side.<br />Or do I look better this way. :p

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Like, you know, that is amazing, like cause thats like, exactly like how I feel sometimes, you know.<br /><br />I agree with you OMC, I cant make much sense on this board either.<br /><br />I am going to KISS form now on. Keep It Simple Stupid.<br /><br />Ken

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hats off to you SlowlySinking!!!!<br />Very nice.<br />Is that your work? <br />Or maybe something a Catholic school teacher smacked into your scull with a ruler?<br /><br /><br /> :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Once you have sentence structure, spelling and punctuation under control (or learn how to use the software that does it for you) good writing is more art than technology.<br /><br />Like most art, it isn't done in a flash. It is carefully constructed, edited, reedited. . . tasted, spit out and redone several times.<br /><br />It is learned by reading great writing and wondering how Churchill or Roosevelt (Teddy) or Hemingway would have said what is on your mind.<br /><br />Unlike speech, your writing can be taken back and changed a hundred times before it gets to anyone else.<br /><br />For example, this short, simple post has been revised 5 times before I posted it.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

One More Cast,<br /><br />The way I see it is that there are a variety of reasons for us losing our writing skills.<br /><br />Let's cast our mind back to the time when a hand written letter served as our primary from of communication. As a result of the time it took to cover distance letters were slow forms of communication and it took an inordinate amount of time to receive a response. One needed to get it right first time.<br /><br />Perhaps as a result of the above there was also a time when your most feared teacher was the English teacher and the most feared subject GRAMMAR. This may have had something to do with the fact that the correct use of grammar is difficult, and as in engineering unless one has a full grasp of "first principles" the construction of sentances nevermind a letter becomes exceedingly difficult. Example, what is a "split infinitive"? There are many gramatical rules that I don't understand let alone use correctly.<br /><br />Then came the telephone, a wondeful innovation that circumvented the long turnaround times of letters and allowed one to immediately respond to queries if they arose. As it is possible to say more in voice than in letter, for the same given period that is. Communication became more cumbersome, just listen to some people on the phone, an hour speaking with saying anything. We lost the need for short concise communication and then WE STARTED GETTING LAZY.<br /><br />Without being rapped over the knuckles anymore for poor English skills we have allowed slang and poor grammar to infuse English to the point that at times it is near impossible to understand some youngsters. I am not sure that I fully agree but I do believe that languages should evolve, to keep pace with the modern world. I'm not sure if the grammar has changed but certainly the vocabulary has. As a matter of interest (can't remember the exact numbers but the ratio's will be about right) one armed with 2600 english words will be able to get through life very comfortably being fully understood, there are about 40 000 words in the english language.<br /><br />Then technology swamps us again as we give millions without access to the internet the ability to send text messages via the mobile phone.<br /><br />Yo Bro<br />RU OK.<br />PLSE LOOK 4 ME @ 711<br />Bye<br /><br />This certainly will not get our youngsters considering writing the "old style" imagine.<br /><br />Good morning Peter.<br />I trust I find you in good health.<br />I am busy shopping so if you need to get hold of me you will be able to find me at the 711 convenience store.<br /><br />Goodbye<br /><br />This is the long answer..... perhaps the kids have a point.<br /><br />The internet has also not done much to help either. The mobile phone language is being perpetuated on the guitar forums frequented by 13 to 30 year olds. The literacy levels, if judged from the posts, is exceeding low.<br /><br />The internet has also allowed people to beat up on each other with little consequence. This has caused some to be less considered when they post, a little thought and rereading as JB says could get many out of the spot they create. I would like to see some people say the things they do when face to face with the other individual. As mentioned in previous posts often this is merely a result of poorly communicating ones view.<br /><br />It is not just you, all of us have become lax<br /><br />My thoughts.<br /><br />Andrew

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> Often I try to post on iboats and I cancel my post because what I am trying to say and what comes out are two different things. even this post isn't quite right.let me try again. When I write something I can't seem to put my true feelings into words. But why?
I clicked 'reply with quote' 6 times and cancelled it 5 times.<br /><br />All I wanted to say is - ditto.<br /><br />Aldo

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Once you have sentence structure, spelling and punctuation under control (or learn how to use the software that does it for you) good writing is more art than technology.<br /><br />Like most art, it isn't done in a flash. It is carefully constructed, edited, reedited. . . tasted, spit out and redone several times.<br /><br />It is learned by reading great writing and wondering how Churchill or Roosevelt (Teddy) or Hemingway would have said what is on your mind.<br /><br />Unlike speech, your writing can be taken back and changed a hundred times before it gets to anyone else.<br /><br />For example, this short, simple post has been revised 5 times before I posted it.
Well stated JB. Awhile ago, a friend emailed me about his recent fishing trip. He stated that he had a freezer full of "purch falays". I just about fell out of my chair.... :eek:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I sometimes "edit" a post over and over again, to get the spelling/syntax/meaning just right ---and sometimes I could give a rat's rear how I spelled {There/thier/thar/they're). It just aint as important as the message.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with you OMC, I don't express my feelings in words on paper as I can in person. I'm still a learnin this computer crap. Finally got my wife in here to help with abbreviations, Like IMHO, BTW, LOL, and LMAO. Hell I thought LOL ment Lots of love.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi Roscoe, I wish I wrote it, but it was e-mailed to me. Most of my postings are edited to death so they sound reasonably intelligent with minimal spelling and grammer errors.

crab bait

Captain

just use alota ".........." an stuff.....<br /><br />it works for me.... :) .....

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I take advantage of the spell checker when using a word processing package, but that's not an option in this type of forum, is it?<br /><br />Yeah, one could compose in WORD, spell check, then cut and paste to the formu, but to me that's just too inefficient to justify the benefit .

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

lakeliving, not a bad idea since windows is a multi-tasking environment, open your word processor, minimize it, log onto iBoats and switch windows to take advantage of the spell/grammar checker. <br /><br />I did it for this message, the spell checker didn't recognize lakeliving, iBoats or grammer which is suggested I should correct.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by phatmanmike:<br /> this is all i wanted to say. and i did!
What do you mean by that? :p :p :rolleyes: <br /><br />I dont get it :eek: <br /><br />I think Im insulted. :confused:

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Same here OMC! Don't feel left out. You are not alone. Trust me.