How about the draft??

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How about the draft??

In considering this question, one has to consider whether the aim is to benefit the military or the benefit of the general public. <br /><br />I joined the Army shortly after the draft was abolished. In my opinion, this was a miserable time for the military. They had not yet learned how to recruit for an all volunteer Army. The military was restrained by the budget cuts of the Jimmy Carter administration. The Army still allowed recruits whose only options were jail or the Army, so we still had folks who didn't want to be there. In short, the quality of recruits that we had was very low, nothing like what I see in today's Army. That's not to say that we didn't have some top notch folks, we did, and I was lucky enough to serve with a few of them. The Army was smart enough not to let the bottom of the barrel on Nuke sites. Even so, I saw folks put out of the military on Section 8s at least every week.<br /><br />I count myself as one of those who came from a very low income family. I guess you could say that I wear that fact like a badge. I guess I'm not completely convinced that a draft would be good for the military. I am sure that it would be good for those folks who get drafted, whether they realize it or not, but is that the primary goal? Well, that's an opinion anyway, and I'm not sure that I'm 100% sure of that opinion.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Tlands did bring up a good point, in that with the considerable size of our population, having every high school grad do two years would result in a massive expensive military. Too bad, I still think a bit of service would do them some good...

Carphunter

Commander

So some of you think we should reinstate the draft to teach kids respect. :confused: <br /><br />Just another excuse to let parents off the hook, if you ask me. Its not up to the Military to teach these kids respect, its up to the parents!<br /><br />Whats next, let the government teach your kids to walk, or drive a car, or fish. If you feel that you need to send you kid into the military because he has no respect, then you outta take a long look in the mirror, 'cause you'll be staring at the person that is to blame.<br /><br />If a draft is absolutely necessary because we don't have enough people to defend this country, then I can understand, otherwise, I have to agree with Gunner and JB on this one.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thats why I like the 30 day service requirement. People could do it during summer, right after finishing high school. They would not be paid, call it doing their duty to this country.<br /><br />Teach them all about the military and what others did in the past to enable this country to be free. Plus how to handle a weapon and defend themselves. Just basic military tactics.<br /><br />You already have to sign up for the draft, why not make it mean something.<br /><br />Ken

KennyKenCan

Commander

Well, in the words of the late great Frank Zappa:<br /><br />"Hello, anybody home? ...special delivery!<br />Oh no!<br />Registered mail, you’re gonna hafta sign fer this, buddy<br />Oh no!<br />Cmon, I know you’re in there<br />Oh no!<br />(weep, weep, weep)<br /><br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />I don’t wanna go<br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />(weep)<br /><br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />I don’t wanna go<br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />No-oh-woh-oh-woh...<br /><br />Roller skates ’n disco<br />Is a lot of fun<br />I’m too young ’n stupid<br />To operate a gun<br /><br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br /><br />My-y-y sister don’t wanna get drafted<br />She don’t wanna go<br />My sister don’t wanna get drafted<br />My-y-y sister don’t wanna get drafted<br />She don’t wanna go<br />My sister don’t wanna get drafted<br />No-oh-woh-oh-woh...<br /><br />Wars are really ugly<br />They’re dirty and they’re cold<br />I don’t want nobody<br />To shoot her in the fox hole, fox hole<br /><br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br />I don’t wanna get drafted<br /><br />Wars are really ugly<br />They’re dirty and they’re cold<br />I don’t want nobody<br />To shoot me in the fox hole, fox hole<br /><br />Aiieeeeeeeee...shot in the fox hole<br />Shot in the fox hole, shot in the fox hole<br />Shot in the fox hole, shot in the fox hole<br />Aiieeeeeeeee...shot in the fox hole<br />Shot in the fox hole, shot in the fox hole<br />Shot in the fox hole, shot in the fox hole<br />Aiieeeeeeeee...shot in the fox hole<br />Shot in the fox hole, shot in the fox hole<br />Shot in the fox hole, shot in the fox hole<br />Aiieeeeeeeee...shot in the fox hole<br />Shot in the fox hole, shot in the fox hole<br />Shot in the fox hole, shot in the fox hole"

Carphunter

Commander

Kenny, put your straight-jacket back on, and take your medication. :p

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hey Carpy,<br /><br />I didn't write the song, Frank Zappa did.<br /><br />So don't blame me!<br /><br />Plus...<br /><br />It was the only song that I knew of, at that moment, about the draft.<br /><br />Zappa has some of the best lyrics, don't he?

Carphunter

Commander

Anybody that quotes Frank Zappa, should be in a straight-jacket. :p <br /><br />.......sorry, I don't have any draft songs. :( <br /><br />Maybe some songs about draft beer though. ;)

KennyKenCan

Commander

Carpy,<br /><br />You shock me!<br /><br />You don't like Zappa?<br /><br />I can't believe that!<br /><br />Zappa was one of the greatest artists of all time!<br /><br />I mean, who else could write songs like...<br /><br />Don't Eat The Yellow Snow<br />Dinamo Humm<br />Baby Snakes<br />Joes Garage<br />Catholic Girls<br />Dong Work For Yuda<br />Flakes<br />Frogs With Dirty Little Legs<br />Eddie? Are You Kidding<br />Evelyn, A Modified Dog<br />Father O'blivion<br />Big Leg Emma<br />Montana<br />Muffin Man<br />Rat Tomago<br /><br />If you haven't experianced any of these songs, then you are missing some of the best music ever put to paper!

Carphunter

Commander

I have heard that Frank Zappa sounds great after you smoke those left-handed cigarettes. :p <br /><br />Frank was just a little before my time.<br /><br />Doesn't he have a daughter named Moon Zappa?<br /><br />Like wow man, thats just crazy dude. ;) <br /><br />Groovy.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Carphunter, Zappa was before my time also. Man was he out there. His daughters name is Moon Unit Zappa. I only know this because I wrote a term paper on rock and roll in college. Also, I would be in favor of some type of Short term service after high school.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Carpy & Stratosfied,<br /><br />Ok, I can understand that maybe Zappa wasn't on the charts when you where young, so you may have missed out, but trying to say that you gotta smoke something illegal to understand and appreciate him, is just ludicrist!<br /><br />If you've never experienced Zappa, I'd suggest you'd start with "Joes Garage".<br /><br />Not just the one song titled "Joes Garage", but rather the whole album, and then you'd be able to understand the musical geunius of Mr. Frank Zappa, just don't let the "Central Scrutinizer" scare ya.<br /><br />Heres another song that's not hard to understand...<br /><br />Dreamed I was an Eskimo <br />(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop-bop Ta-da-da)<br />Frozen wind began to blow <br />(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop-bop Ta-da-da)<br />Under my boots 'n around my toe <br />(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop-bop Ta-da-da)<br />Frost had bit the ground below <br />(Boop-boop aiee-ay-ah!)<br />Was a hundred degrees below zero<br />(Booh!)<br />(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop-bop Ta-da-da) <br />And my momma cried:<br />Boo-a-hoo hoo-ooo <br />And my momma cried:<br />Nanook-a, no no (no no . . . ) <br />Nanook-a, no no (no no . . . )<br />Don't be a naughty Eskimo-wo-oh<br />(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop-bop Ta-da-da)<br />Save your money: don't go to the show <br />Well I turned around an' I said:<br />HO HO<br />(Booh!)<br />Well I turned around an' I said:<br />HO HO<br />(Booh!)<br />Well I turned around an' I said:<br />HO HO<br />An' the Northern Lites commenced t' glow<br />An' she said <br />(Bop-bop ta-da-da bop . . . )<br />With a tear in her eye:<br />WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO<br />AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW<br />WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO<br />AN' DON'T YOU EAT THAT YELLOW SNOW<br /><br />I'm tryin to educate you guy's, but you will need to have an open mind to understand.<br /><br />Don't knock what you don't know, it just might be great!