How about the draft??

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Looking at all the soldiers that volunteered for militairy service it occurs to me that most soldiers come from the financially weaker part of out nation.They come from the poorer part of our society ,yet when called upon,they pay the highest price.<br />If there was a drafted army where all social classes would intermingle and be equal for one or two years,maybe the meltingpot that America is supposed to be would start bubbling again.<br />Would this take away from your freedom or would the draft help you deserve it? <br />What would you think about that?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How about the draft??

rolmops, I think the draft would be great.<br />I was at the ready when the draft was going on back years ago, but never got the call and I feel fortunate in a way for that, but did lose several friends to the war in Nam.<br /><br />I think it would help todays young men if the draft was reinstated.<br />IMO.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thumbs up, Rolmops. It would be the best thing for the Nations youth as well as helping to bring the 'melting pot' back to a boil. But the draft alone would not accomplish the latter part. We need to rid this nation of the Liberal/Progressive influence that has been Balkanizing this society for the last 50 years.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

We need to rid this nation of the Liberal/Progressive influence that has been Balkanizing this society for the last 50 years so that we may all march in lockstep to the tune of George W. Bush and his conservative regime. :rolleyes:

Roger Rose

Cadet

I don't think it takes away from my freedom but I think an all volunteer military is better in many ways. If you remember when there was a draft, there were a lot of people against the war that were drafted. These people don't always make the best soldiers. Having served 2 years in Vietnam I prefer to being in combat with those who choose to be in the military.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Exactly what Gunner said.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) The draft never hurt anybody!!!!<br /><br />Should be a mandatory 2 years!!!! for all our youth with no loop holes!!! No getting out of it because of college!!!<br />They can go after their stint in the service, be a little more mature !!!! ;) :cool:

SoulWinner

Commander

FlyRod is on to something here. That is how it is done in Israel, and I think serving your country in the military would go a long way to making folks APPRECIATE this country. In Israel, everybody serves; young men, young ladies, they all go do thier bit, right down to airborn training. Imagine, what if this country were made up of 90% veterans?

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Col. David H. Hackworth (Ret), author of "About Face", "Hazardous Duty", "Brave Men", "Vietnam Primer" and other popular books has written in support of a military draft. David H. Hackworth <br /><br />In his writting he argues that much of the needed changes brought to the military were as a result of draftees. His arguement is that volunteers are less likey to speak up or make waves when they observe problems in the military. They don't want to endanger their careers. Draftees on the other hand have no career ambitions and will write the letters and make a stink if a situation is not right.<br /><br />If you have never heard or read any of his stuff start with "About Face".

LubeDude

Admiral

Im all for the draft, I was drafted and given the opportunity to inlist for another year to get a school which I did. Its great to get young people out of the house and on there own to think for themselves. There are plenty of jobs in the military for the ones that dont want to fight. We now have kids moving back in with there folks, kids and all. Thats not going to happen here.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Don't think anybody hated the military any more then me "And I enlisted " Did my time. No lifer here!!!!<br />Some people like to be told what to do and when to do it!!!

bobingardner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm against the draft. No one should have to die for a war they don't support.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Draft isn't needed. But if it were to be needed, then, so be it. There is allways the "conciencious objector" loophole for those who object. But I'm more in agreement with GMG3 on this issue, and it should be manditory to serve one's country in some form. And every youth should be taught basic training.<br />Of life's lessons, these are personally,amoung the most often recalled "banks of knowledge" I've ever relied upon in times of need.<br /><br />As for the "lock-step", "Regime" retoric, I take it to proclaim just what it appears to in print... And that is cliche' partison trolling in it's purest form.<br />Although you may chose the words carefully, the public is not quite as gullible as it was in the late 60's to this old brainwashing technique. They've iether seen and lived-thru the useage of these tactics first-hand, or were raised by these victims of such tactics.<br /><br />The draft is only an option if the numbers volunteers are insufficient to accomplish victory. But where I might differ here, is that to me, defeat is not an option to victory. Like it or no, there are enough Americans left who remember 9/11, who will take-up arms to defend us, if not, just to "get-even" .This doesn't even enter the numbers who "just want an education", or to "gain employment". Some may feel the price is too high. but as in other wars, ask yourself, What will be the costs if we were to choose capitulation?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I know,I know. It gets me in trouble all the time. But it's heart-fealt.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think a 30 or 90 day boot camp would be great. Everybody has to go. This would make it easy to pull everybody into the miliary in case needed.<br /><br />But making people do a tour would be a bad idea. I would not want to serve with people that didnt want to be there.<br /><br />I thought about being in the service, but I am way to hardheaded and hate taking orders, so I figured most of my time would have been spent in the brig.<br /><br />Ken

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Agreed.(here anyway). After all, even though the Pentegon was attacked on 9/11, so then, were the WTC and our citizenry aboard the commercial jets thay day. And as such, they became direct targets for the enemy. And as such, they must be vigilant, or defend themselves. And therefore, need to know how. Like I've stated here before, all Americans ,and all free pepole, both Christian and atheist, both Muslim and satanic, who want to worship thier "faiths" in a free system, are targets of these mutants. They should, at minimum, know how to shoot,even if they never are called-upon to do so.<br /><br />And in that context, I think we do not need the draft...We have allready been drafted 09/11/01.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Here is my opinion since Fly Rod said we were entitled to one :) <br /><br />I like the idea of a mandatory draft, but with todays equal rights, that would mean women should be part of it also. This I wouldn't agree with.<br /><br />Things will never be the same as they were in the past. If you were a young man that was in trouble with the law, the military was a way of keeping out of jail. These people went on life to be outstanding citizens. Now, the military won't take people like that, because now they can pick from the volenteers by order of intelligence. You have to meet their guidlines to become a solder/sailor.<br /><br />We may have a smarter military now, but there will always be more power in numbers.<br /><br />Truth be known, our present enlisted force does come from poverty level people. Common sense will tell you this. Those that make a good income is not going to take a lower paying job just to be honoring their country. I'm sure there are a few that do, but it can't be many.<br /><br />When I was 18, I joined because I wanted to get out on my own. But if I had a chance to get a good paying job that would have supported myself, I would have taken the job. <br /><br />I must say, Joining the Navy was the best thing that has happened in my life. I would have never ever had the chance to experience the different places in the world.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I will agree that a high percentage of military comes from lower income levels, but you would be surprised at the amount of those who came from better means. I knew quite a few men who enlisted to do or see things they would never see in the civilian world. Money was not an issue, they wanted the adventure, and most of them made good soldiers. I also knew a few who were trust fund babies who had to serve X amount of time in active service to get the money. They too were good soldiers, although there were a few exceptions I can think of that were just coasting. For a lot of those guys, if they got kicked out, they didn't get the cash. I don't think a vietnam style draft is necessary, but I do believe that young people fresh out of high school should do a couple years. Most 18 year olds have no idea what they want to do, so they either go to college and waste a few years studying nothing until they figure things out or they work mindless jobs for a few years then go to college. If they spent that time in the service they would be able to better decide what they want to be, as they are exposed to more of the world than civilians are. If a few end up carreer soldiers, so be it. There are worse things a person can do than be a soldier.