Honesty or Loyalty?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Honesty or Loyalty?

If a job hung in the balance over a trivia question regarding which virtue is better rather than my own merits, I wouldn't want it.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

My former corporation made it a big point (then later pretended they didn't) that loyalty was an outmoded thing, no longer useful in the marketplace. Yes they even put it in writing. Guess it might have eased their consciences slightly for the extreme workload which lead to extreme turnover? Was a really stupid thing for them to do. The middle managers who were mostly good just rolled their eyes while the big three made fools of themselves.<br /><br />I'm sure glad that loyalty and honesty really are not mutually exclusive; both are in short supply and both remain extremely valuable. If anyone in my life cares to push a choice upon me between the two, they will get a response they did not expect or want from me. I'll not sacrifice either, though I might well sacrifice(at least part of)that particular relationship.

SoulWinner

Commander

Always follow the "Golden Rule." The answere flows from our core, our heart. Think of it as a natural extension of how we want to be treated, to how we want our marriage to be, to how we want our community to be, to how we wan the world to be. In that respect the whole question becomes nullified because it is impossible to operate in this world under such naive standards. This brings us back to the scripture "it is impossible to serve God and mammon." So my answere is Honesty, which in turn is loyalty to God; and I commend the rest into His hands. Sure the world sucks, but I'm trying to keep the faith...

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

As far as companies are concerned. They want loyalty. Even it means missing your son/daughter's game.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Like I said before, the company might see loyalty as a bad thing. And if it's asked in an interview, most likely they view it as a bad thing.<br /><br />A coworker steals an air impact wrench from work, and you know about it. The supervisor questions you. This coworker is a close personal friend of yours. Honesty or loyalty?<br /><br />Ok, that one was cheesy, but cheesy on purpose. That's something you're likely to see in a "Workplace Ethics Training" film. It's much more likely that this type of example would come up in an interview, rather than a hidden question to probe whether you are likely to blow the whistle on the accounting practices of the company. They aren't going to ask in an interview if you are going to be disloyal to your fellow POWs, or if you are willing to miss your childs big game, and they certainly aren't going to ask you if you are willing to participate in company cover-ups or enviromental scandals to increase profits.<br /><br />If it's coming up in an interview, they want to know if you are loyal to your buddy who stole the impact wrench, or if you are honest when questioned about it (and thus rat out your friend). They don't hire people to participate in company scandals, those people are promoted within. I don't think they are asking about loyalty to the company, that question wouldn't come up in an interview. The correct answer for this situation is most certainly "Honesty".

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Honesty first with the recognition that loyalty is important and can and should be incorporated up to a point without crossing the line into being dishonest. <br /><br />Right answer as far as your job prospects? I suspect it depends on who's asking the question. If it's your potential boss my guess is that there are many who are gonna want to hear alot of loyalty in your answer. If it's HR, then I'm guessing honesty is gonna get alot of respect. Difference being the emphasis on personal ambition/ success vs. bigger picture tied to corporate culture/success (think Enron and where a culture obviously lacking in honesty led the company).<br /><br />As for me, if the corporate culture encourages honesty to take a back seat to loyalty, it's not the right place for me to work anyway. That's one of the reasons I'd never make it in politics! And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't use that statement as a jumping off point to bring political views into this thread, either side!

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Loyalty is going down with the ship, honesty is telling you there's a hole in bottom.

one more cast

Captain

I think the answer they would want you the say would be loyalty but to me honesty is more important so I couldn't say loyalty or I would be lying. :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Honesty, loyalty, integrity, and reliability are principles covered in trustworthyness, one of the 6 pillars of ones character. Of these honesty is ranked #1, loyalty #4. <br /><br />Blind loyalty is not a prerequisite anymore, as if your company is breaking the law you can be a whistleblower. An employer can expect 100% honesty from an employee, but not 100% loyalty.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

First of all I want to thank you all for your posts and being so honest about your feelings toward the thread. I was hoping for that.<br /> This is why I posted the question:<br /> I am a teacher and in a school district in another county near here this question is on their list for interviews: Which is more important, honesty or loyalty? The answer they want is Loyalty and I was shocked and still am. My answer would be honesty and I would say that because that's what I believe. So, I guess I wouldn't get the job, but I couldn't change my answer to loyalty and feel good about it. <br /> So, thanks again.<br />Bassy

Dunaruna

Admiral

I agree with your comments Bassy, my answer would also be 'honesty'. What shocks me is.....its a school, not Microsoft or GM. The school doesn't have trade secrets to protect, they don't have to worry about spies - in a workplace enviroment such as a school honesty should be their top priority so as to set an example, why the lean on loyalty?<br /><br />Aldo

Skinnywater

Commander

The school doesn't have trade secrets to protect, they don't have to worry about spies - in a workplace enviroment such as a school honesty should be their top priority so as to set an example, why the lean on loyalty?<br />
Excellent question.<br /><br />What would be your honest take on it Bassy?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I'm with ya, Bassy. No way would I lie for my employer, even if it meant my job. I'd rather be unemployed, broke, starving, with no ISP subscription, than to lie to cover the company's immaginary arse.<br />And any company that would expect that kind of loyalty from it's employees, in my opinion, is a dangerous tyranical organization, and I would strongly urge people to avoid purchasing thier products and services in the future.<br /><br />You go, girl!! There is something about ethics that money should never buy.

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gaugeguy summed it up perfectly. Integrity is what is required. If you have integrity, you are automatically honest and loyal.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

With todays technology it is easy for the employer to do background checks using police records, credit reports, and tax records. These records is what will determine if the applicant is honest. These reports will not tell if the applicant is loyal or not.<br /><br />Most manufacturing jobs that have quotas need to have their employees on the job. If they call off, the company can't meet its obligations. If this a habitual problem for the company, it will go out of business.<br /><br />I hear very often from the management team of the company I work for as well as others that it is hard to get people to work their schedule. It doesn't matter on how much the person makes either. Our company had to switch paydays from Fridays to Mondays to cut down on Friday call offs. It worked because without money, employees quit calling off on the weekend.<br /><br />In the real world away from work, people do want honesty. They want businesses to be honest for the quality of product they want.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Bassy, in the schools around here, they are all union. Loyalty is always preferable to honesty when it comes to them.<br /><br />Ann's in a teachers union, you ought to (or maybe you do) see the crap they send here in the mail. Be a democrat and be a drone. Unbelievable for people who claim to be so open minded. And trust me, honesty has nothing to do with the literature they send to the house.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can see why they would want loyalty in their actions everyday. When we or other parents have had concerns over what individual teachers have done, said, or taught from time to time, there is no way to talk openly or honestly about the situations to rectify them. Teachers who teach things that are wrong (either factually or ethically, for that matter) have refused many times to correct it. The schools and district circle the wagons and fight for ignorance and inequity to the death, as long as it will avoid making the teachers uncomfortable. It is shameful the way that academic freedom has been so *******ized.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) After being in bussiness for over thirty years,when I hire someone, I automatically exspect honesty!!!! We work in peoples houses and I demand that they are honest and don't go snooping around; stealing etc: <br /><br />Loyalty! comes with secrets or how tos' of the trade etc: which you don't exspect to be passed on!!!<br /><br />Loyalty!, does not mean that you have to lie,etc:<br />OOPS!! :p except when your fishing or hunting!!! ;) :cool: How big was the one that got away!! "HEEE!!! HEEE!!! :D :D