Honesty or Loyalty?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Say you're being interviewed for a job and you're asked this question: Which is more important? Honesty ot Loyalty? Which would you choose?<br /> There is a right answer.

Trent

Captain
Re: Honesty or Loyalty?

To be loyal you have to be honest. So id say honesty. Cause I hate people that tell lies.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Honesty - this must come before loyalty in my book. Simple reason really, honesty overrides all. If you can't be honest then how the heck can you be trusted. To be loyal can be detrimental to the cause in the long run as then you can loose sight of objectives because of possible defense mechanisims kicking in to support loyal feelings. <br />Honesty for me every time.<br />Been there and done that! Honesty won through.<br />Ross

Stratosfied

Ensign

Honesty. Most folks know the truth if they care to admit it or not. Loyality could lead you down in a place where it would be dishonest to get out. ex. say you were a fan of a sports team while they were on top, that you were in 100% support of all that they did. Now after a few years they really really went to the dogs. Suddenly you don't talk about them or quite have the fevor for them as much any more. In fact you simply do not care(until they start winning). This is an act of disloyality which in fact was dishonesty since your concern for this team was based upon there current elevated status. (This seem to occur with a fascinating regularity with Alabama Fans). Honesty is most important.

Ralph 123

Captain

Depends on the circumstances - loyal to whom and/or what? Honest to who?<br /><br />For example, if you're a POW loyalty comes first. You're not going to be honest with your captors about your mission or info helpful to them. See?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Loyalty. Occasionally one finds oneself having to make excuses for some company screw-up. Honesty gives the opposing lawyer ammunition. Loyalty keeps your job.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Honesty. I answer to a higher bossman. And bear this in mind --- John Gotti was loyal.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I'm with willy.<br /><br />Not that it is right but the answer they are looking for I believe is loyalty.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Are they looking for loyalty to the company (you won't rat out their questionable accounting practices), or are they wondering if you will be loyal to your buddy, and thus lie to your boss? You know darn well that the $500 specialty tool the the company just bought is sitting in your friends garage, but you're going to be loyal to your buddy?<br /><br />You don't know the motive behind the question. Loyalty might be the answer they are looking for, or it might be the exact OPPOSITE of what they are looking for.<br /><br />With honesty, there is never any question on what is right or wrong.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Loyalty!!!!<br /><br />when fishing and i have a mate some times we tell little white lies, so that blows honesty!!!! And I exspect loyaty from whom ever I have on the boat about where we caught the fish, when we tell people where we caught them when we caught them some place else!!! Does that make any sense??? ;) :cool:

Skinnywater

Commander

Honesty.<br /><br />Then the one expecting loyalty can base it on truth.<br />If honesty isn't a major consideration, then loyalty will have very little value, to me.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I don't know if this will make sense. But I went to a national sale meeting a couple of years ago during a crisis. <br /><br />I stood with a man who stood up for me in the past, on an issue that we were on the wrong side of the fence on. The option was to stand with a bunch of high powered political nut rests, who had the upper hand in the situation, be it possibly the right side at the time. It was absolutely the wrong play for me to take at the time, but knowing the man, I was loyal to the point of losing my job for him. <br /><br />Long story short, we are still here, the nut rests are gone. Loyalty is not necessarily to the exclusion of honesty, but has a value all its own. <br /><br />End of boring story.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Some places of employment don't really care about honesty. That is what security cameras, locks, and accountability systems are for. They want people to show up on time, do their job as they want, and be healthy. So I vote for Loyality.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Good posts. Let's see if we can get anymore and I'll post what I experienced Wednesday. <br />Bassy

brother chris

Commander

I'd say honesty because that is how it should be...here, there, everywhere.<br />Loyalty comes after knowing who you are working for.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Loyalty? What is that these days? I thought I was the only one left who remembered that... (No, I know better, but sometimes it feels that way) Actually I have overdone the loyalty to wretched employers- I won't make that mistake again. I'll never be disloyal, but full loyalty toward an employer will have to be earned- no longer will it be automatic. They'll have to meet me halfway. How gullible I was. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Both are still very important and worthwhile, but if I had to pick one- no question at all: honesty. <br /> Integrity cannot be had without honesty. <br /><br />Now fishing stories may have a "partial exemption" from accuracy so long as there is an understanding among all involved and there is no intent to deceive . You know, it is fishing after all. :D <br /><br />Honesty does not require me to answer my enemy captors if I am interrogated. The ethics get sticky here, but I would not lie, rather I would prefer to remain silent or vague rather than dishonest. Yeah, easier said than done. But just because I am asked it does not mean those asking have the right to know.<br /><br />And when dealing with those close to us, Love dictates honesty always, though with discretion. If it hurts without helping, then it doesn't need to be said, even if true. But falsehoods ultimately tend to damage credibility and undermine the relationship. One little lie usually requires an increasing number of larger lies to cover the first one. Not worth it, IMO.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Honesty is more important than loyalty.<br /><br />If I had loyalty.I would buy that new Ford.<br />Because I like Fords, and I've always had Fords.<br />So I am loyal, So what!<br /><br />If I had Honesty, I would have character.<br />And if I had honesty ,and character. I would<br />already posses loyalty.

datawire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since we live in the real world - loyalty is what employers seek. I have had many "honest" employees that did not even know the meaning of loyalty. Being loyal to someone or something encompasses many things - including honesty. JMHO.