Homemade truck camper plans/ideas

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Homemade truck camper plans/ideas

I hear ya. Something to keep in mind, and might be a plan thanks. I was at my sis n laws father's house earlier today. He has all kinds of steel tubing 1x1 and 2x2 tubing. This gave me an idea of what I could use. The 1x1 steel tubing, is definitly going to be to small, unless I was looking at 3/4 inch tubing, but it still gave me an idea of what I'm looking at. I don't believe he would ever let any of that steel go, so I didn't bother asking him for a price on any of it.

I'd pretty much be figuring on using all 1x1" steel tubing, the overall structure would be more than strong enough if assembled correctly.

I've been calculating, I haven't gotten into the aluminum siding or any of the other stuff, but I actually have some siding already that might be able to be salvaged/reused. We have plenty of lumber around, alot of it needs to be used up, and would be painted to seal it if I used it. ......

I already have all of that, I even have the door. Some of the window framing I have may need new glass but not all of them do. I don't have a heater, I figure one of those heater buddies would be great to put in a camper. After dealing with my bass boat, and getting it into shape I know first hand about being nickeled and dimed to the point I couldn't see straight. Always something needed that we didn't have on hand, especially for the wiring and plumbing.

There's nothing wrong with recycling good used metal or wood or any components. The fact that you have all of the specialty items is what will make the project doable.

I just hope my homemade underwater camera doesn't turn out like that. After seeing a few homemade campers on the internet, they look great, and you almost can't tell the differences between factory built truck campers and the homemade.
One option for me that is out is Craigslist, as of recently I no longer deal with that website, my choice.

I've found some of my best deals on Craigslist, I've never really had a problem there other than a few screwball buyers or should I say tire kickers, but nothing that would deter me from using it.

I wouldn't mind a project of this size, probably would enjoy the heck out of it, mainly because we have all the tools to make it happen.

Having the right tools is half of the battle, if you have the parts and have the equipment, then it's more than half way done, all you need is the time and knowhow and to put it together. Being a home built unit, it should be the best suited camper you could own. You have 100% control over its layout and construction where as finding a used one would mean settling for what was at hand.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I'd pretty much be figuring on using all 1x1" steel tubing, the overall structure would be more than strong enough if assembled correctly.

Darn it.....You still have me leaning toward 1x1" :).

There's nothing wrong with recycling good used metal or wood or any components. The fact that you have all of the specialty items is what will make the project doable..

Other people here seemed to of overlooked the fact that I do have alot of components and specialty items. How many times have I posted that I already have certain items that would be needed? Please don't take offense other people :D.

Having the right tools is half of the battle, if you have the parts and have the equipment, then it's more than half way done, all you need is the time and knowhow and to put it together. Being a home built unit, it should be the best suited camper you could own.

Amen to that. I also have my father who has some experience rebuilding/repairing the old family truck camper we use to have, I'm sure he would be willing to help. Matter of fact he has also been a great source for ideas and opinions on the homemade truck camper.

You have 100% control over its layout and construction where as finding a used one would mean settling for what was at hand.

True.....Oh so true...... The layout isn't the main reason I am toying around with building this camper, but it does play a big roll in it. I recall how the old family truck camper was layed out, the cabover bed was mostly closed off by the cabinets hanging from the ceiling. So whoever was sleeping in the cabover was blocked off from whoever was sleeping down below, I like that layout.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Wild, I tried to attach a quick 3D drawing of a frame however it's size exceeds the allowable attachment size....sorry about that.:redface:
It was based on your initial dimensions in your opening post. That said, I would consider enlarging the size of the overhead bunk area to allow a double size (minimum) mattress. This would require more overhang than you currently show.
We have a old 8' camper and our biggest regret is not having the bigger bunk up top.
With respect to the ongoing tube size controversy...maybe a mix of 2x2, 1x2 and 1x1 perhaps? Again, I think you would find the 2x2 frame in aluminum substantially stiffer and lighter...just my two bits.;)
BP
ps: any idea on how to shrink a 200kb attachment down to the allowable?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Darn it.....You still have me leaning toward 1x1" :).
As I said before, if it were steel you are making it out of, I would definitely be using 1 x 1.

'Course, I would be choosing aluminum, but I, of course, am what you could call an alumaholic. Wonder material, I tell you.

reelfishin

Captain

As someone who's had an older style slide in camper, there's one problem with those overhead bunks; heat rises and that area can get like an oven in warm weather or on hot days, even with a good AC unit. It's one of the reasons I abandoned the upper bunk area on my old one in favor of a fold down side bunk. I could leave the back door open with just the screen in place and sleep comfortably near the door. The overhead area in mine did have two windows, but they were on both sides, making it a problem when it got windy, or wet.
I'm a big guy, at 6'3" tall and over 275lbs, a bunk is no place for me anyhow.

When building the forward bunk frame, you will basically be using a trussed cantilever type side frame to support that area well. I'd also consider slightly arching the lower cross braces in that area too. Mine actually contacted the cab, it had a rubber boot that fit up under the overhang and another to the rear window, although I put the rear glass back in in mine and completely separated the two areas. At one point I suppose it was done so there was communication between the cab and camper, maybe they were even carrying the kids back there or something. For me, it was just a cargo container that doubled as a place to sleep at shows.

you will save lots of room with the steel tubing and will have less chance of any future cracked tubes. I had an all aluminum framed enclosed trailer a few years back, it all but fell apart after a year of heavy use. They had bolted some joints and welded others, the welded joints cracked all over the place and the bolted joints worked loose and pulled through. The main undercarraige was steel, but the upper body framework was all aluminum 1x1.

Keep in mind that you will be combining the strength of many 1" tubes, the total structure will be very strong. If you look at most RV trailers, they are built out of nothing but 1" steel tubing, and very light gauge at that.
I've replaced wood and roof panels on several, and so far they've all been about the same. Some better built than others. What got me was that a few higher dollar trailers were built with far less steel than the cheaper ones, but I suppose a lot of that has to do with keeping the weight down. The best one I've had apart so far was an older Holiday Rambler 26', it was built like a tank compared to some of the modern units. Of course, it weighed at least double the weight of anything newer.

If you were building a much lighter or smaller camper or cap, then I'd say aluminum but your going to be looking for a lot of long term strength and ease of assembly. Be sure to allow for drain holes in all tube structure, in the event that water ever does leak in, you don't want it freezing and cracking open. I've seen that all too often on larger trailers.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Wild, I tried to attach a quick 3D drawing of a frame however it's size exceeds the allowable attachment size....sorry about that.:redface:
It was based on your initial dimensions in your opening post. That said, I would consider enlarging the size of the overhead bunk area to allow a double size (minimum) mattress. This would require more overhang than you currently show.
We have a old 8' camper and our biggest regret is not having the bigger bunk up top.
With respect to the ongoing tube size controversy...maybe a mix of 2x2, 1x2 and 1x1 perhaps? Again, I think you would find the 2x2 frame in aluminum substantially stiffer and lighter...just my two bits.;)
BP
ps: any idea on how to shrink a 200kb attachment down to the allowable?

BP I'm sending a PM. I hope I can open the type of file that you have. The overhang on the bunk would not hurt my feelings, but I am a single man, might be for a while :rolleyes::), so there will be only me sleeping up there.

As I said before, if it were steel you are making it out of, I would definitely be using 1 x 1.

'Course, I would be choosing aluminum, but I, of course, am what you could call an alumaholic. Wonder material, I tell you.

I think aluminum is going to be voted out. I like the thought of it but Reelfishin also makes some good points about aluminum.

As someone who's had an older style slide in camper, there's one problem with those overhead bunks; heat rises and that area can get like an oven in warm weather or on hot days, even with a good AC unit. It's one of the reasons I abandoned the upper bunk area on my old one in favor of a fold down side bunk. I could leave the back door open with just the screen in place and sleep comfortably near the door. The overhead area in mine did have two windows, but they were on both sides, making it a problem when it got windy, or wet.
I'm a big guy, at 6'3" tall and over 275lbs, a bunk is no place for me anyhow.

When building the forward bunk frame, you will basically be using a trussed cantilever type side frame to support that area well. I'd also consider slightly arching the lower cross braces in that area too. Mine actually contacted the cab, it had a rubber boot that fit up under the overhang and another to the rear window, although I put the rear glass back in in mine and completely separated the two areas. At one point I suppose it was done so there was communication between the cab and camper, maybe they were even carrying the kids back there or something. For me, it was just a cargo container that doubled as a place to sleep at shows.

you will save lots of room with the steel tubing and will have less chance of any future cracked tubes. I had an all aluminum framed enclosed trailer a few years back, it all but fell apart after a year of heavy use. They had bolted some joints and welded others, the welded joints cracked all over the place and the bolted joints worked loose and pulled through. The main undercarraige was steel, but the upper body framework was all aluminum 1x1.

Keep in mind that you will be combining the strength of many 1" tubes, the total structure will be very strong. If you look at most RV trailers, they are built out of nothing but 1" steel tubing, and very light gauge at that.
I've replaced wood and roof panels on several, and so far they've all been about the same. Some better built than others. What got me was that a few higher dollar trailers were built with far less steel than the cheaper ones, but I suppose a lot of that has to do with keeping the weight down. The best one I've had apart so far was an older Holiday Rambler 26', it was built like a tank compared to some of the modern units. Of course, it weighed at least double the weight of anything newer.

If you were building a much lighter or smaller camper or cap, then I'd say aluminum but your going to be looking for a lot of long term strength and ease of assembly. Be sure to allow for drain holes in all tube structure, in the event that water ever does leak in, you don't want it freezing and cracking open. I've seen that all too often on larger trailers.

Never thought about the heat problem, I wasn't planning on putting a front window in the cabover sleeping area but I might now if I follow through with this project.

DJ made a few points about the hauling capability of my truck, which like I said is a V6 4.2 liter. Wind resistance can be a big factor on this, and will also need more horsepower to overcome the wind. As I mentioned to him that the cabover sleeper will stand 3ft 3 inches tall over the cab of the truck, and the camper will be sicking out at least 1foot on each side of the bed. He said "The 4.2 is not recommended for camper use". He took the time to look up the info for me. I met up with a man just after I bought my truck, he had the same exact truck as I did, same motor, he said he does pull a pull behind camper with his truck all over mountains and all. But I can't remember if he had the transmission cooler added to his truck.

At the same time, (I mean no disrespect to DJ I appreciate his input) I'm sure it wasn't recommended to haul the 2150 John Deere tractor with the bush hog on the back or the loads of logs that has been pulled with the truck but we did it. We only hauled the tractor one time. This concerns me though, I still have an extended warrenty on my truck.

Your thoughts?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a 3D image that Bigpraire1 drew up. It looks great BP thanks. We have some great minds here on this site. I did notice that it was based on a 2x2 aluminum frame, I imagine the same setup would work with steel as well.

As you mentioned BP that cabover sleeping area being extended out that extra few inches would be the idea thing.
Camperframe.jpg

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I am no engineer, but I see no real triangulation on the cantilever part hanging over the front. Now, that could be countered by using a stronger steel plate (maybe sheet in those dimensions - I mess with aluminum, so don't know the sheet/plate cutoff point for steel) as your sheathing, welded in place, as opposed to the aluminum, making in essence a big ole gusset.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I am no engineer, but I see no real triangulation on the cantilever part hanging over the front. Now, that could be countered by using a stronger steel plate (maybe sheet in those dimensions - I mess with aluminum, so don't know the sheet/plate cutoff point for steel) as your sheathing, welded in place, as opposed to the aluminum, making in essence a big ole gusset.

That said it is just a rough draft that BP was kind enough to supply, still looks good to me. I was looking around my father's stash of steel, and I found some 1x1 tubing. This might be a start for the frame, after taking the measurements of what little bit he had it would be a good start for the base of the camper.

Bigprairie1

Commander

You guys are correct in what you see... its primarily a quick depiction. I whipped it up to get an approximate idea of weight with aluminum based on reasonable materials lenghts...not so much the direct arrangement as shown.;)
Any cantilevered portion on the front end should be gusseted. As mentioned in the notes I didn't get to throwing in any window framing features. If that was included the lower forward frame runner (just under the 55" dimension-both sides) would benefit by being brought back to the window lines.
There are no window features shown in the upper sides and the framing for these could be rearranged and gusseted/braced to add strength.
I was working on it last week during the game so it isn't what I would call a final design for sure. It was just meant to get the feedback, ideas and creative juices flowing to build from.
All good.:)
BP

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As mentioned before, you need to be careful you don't exceed your vehicle's GVW. (Likely with a camper on a half ton truck) If you do, you risk getting fined, having to pay for your vehicle to be towed, or even worse, be found liable if your vehicle malfunctions due to being overloaded and causes an accident. :(

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know why but it just came in to my mind...... Wondering if there was any way I could use PVC pipe for the frame and be sturdy enough and last?

Just a crazy idea I had come into my head. Wouldn't know what size to use, I'm sure it would need alot of support on the cabover camper part.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

PVC is really not "structure" material at all. Just erase that thought from your mind...... it would crack, shatter and collapse.

Consider steel or aluminum .... even wood would work better than PVC.

How about a high fiberglass top, an air mattress and a sleeping bag! Problem solved :)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

PVC is really not "structure" material at all. Just erase that thought from your mind...... it would crack, shatter and collapse.

Consider steel or aluminum .... even wood would work better than PVC.

How about a high fiberglass top, an air mattress and a sleeping bag! Problem solved :)

Thanks for the input... Like I said it was just a thought.

I've thought about just a camper shell but as much as the bed of my truck stays dirty I don't think it would be a good idea. Plus I would like to be able to cook inside, shower, and have a bathroom etc etc. I stay gone for 2 to 4 days sometimes on just a fishing trip 40 miles (or less) away, just think if I had a camper.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Honestly.... tent, porta potty, portable shower, cot, stove, and all the comforts of home will fit in the back of the truck with a cap on it. You would be further ahead in the terms of money too.