Homemade truck camper plans/ideas

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Homemade truck camper plans/ideas

Heck you aint got a picture of that setup do you Reelfishin? I can somewhat picture it though, you explained it pretty good.

I probably do somewhere but that truck was long before digital cameras, internet, and such. If I do have a pic, it's most likely just an outside view of the truck. The slide in camper was made by one of the bigger names, it was made by something like Larson or Lancer or the likes. It was similar to the older Holiday slide in units but cheaper. The truck was a real beast, it had an old 17 bolt Detroit locker real, double rear springs and those horrible 16.5" split rims GM used to use on their heaviest one ton trucks. The truck was a beast but the tank was small and it was hard on fuel. The tank was in the cab, something like 20 gallons of gas but it would blow through that in about 120 miles or so. I didn't mind the lack of power or air, it was the inconvenience of having to stop for gas so often. The cost of fuel wasn't as bad back then so that wasn't the real issue. It had a wood floor in the bed, which was rotting due all the leaves and tree debris that got trapped under there with the camper on. The best part about that truck was that no one asked to borrow it. It didn't have much straight sheet metal, but it still didn't look all that bad. The paint was dark green and faded bad and the interior was that old GM bronze color. The only part I never figured out was why it was spec'd out with the three speed trans vs. the 4 speed Muncie trans. Everything else was super heavy duty and yet it had the lighter 3 speed. I had gotten a 4 speed for it but never got around to doing it. I had upgraded to a slightly newer Dodge Power Wagon with a 440 engine, which ran circles around the Chevy. The Dodge came with a fiberglass Winnebago slide in unit which I never liked and soon removed in favor of a plain old cap. The all glass slide in swayed and creaked, and the hold downs were cracking.
I had a guy approach me one day and make an offer, so I sold it.

There were some older slide ins that had the roof raised slightly just before the cab extension, this allowed for more room over the cab and for a usable bunk up there, mine didn't have that feature, but at my height, even that wouldn't have helped. The reason I rigged it the way I did was to leave room to sleep for me, anyone else could sleep in the cab if they had too. It wasn't for pleasure, I only used it a few times a year and for fishing.

A buddy of mine built a pickup insert years ago to haul welding equipment, he built sort of a slide in utility box. The rear of the box was about 24" longer than the bed, it was built to clear the step bumper but he modified the trailer hitch with two more 2' square inserts, one on each side of the hitch. The insert had matching 2" bars which would slide into these two recievers and get pinned in place. That way he only had to secure the very front of the box to the truck. He did that by making a slotted floor plate. He built a rack in the yard to hold the body when not in use. He could back up to the rack, put a pin in a rear bracket and drive out from under the body in seconds. No jacks or nothing. The whole thing just slide off. To reinstall it, he'd just back up to it, put in the two pins, remove the anchor pin which held it to the rack, connect the bodies taillights and drive away. Most of that was all made from heavy steel and diamond plate. The part I liked best was the way it secured to the trailer hitch. It even had a built in hitch extension.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

There were some older slide ins that had the roof raised slightly just before the cab extension, this allowed for more room over the cab and for a usable bunk up there, mine didn't have that feature, but at my height, even that wouldn't have helped. The reason I rigged it the way I did was to leave room to sleep for me, anyone else could sleep in the cab if they had too. It wasn't for pleasure, I only used it a few times a year and for fishing.

One of the campers I stripped had the raised cabover roof. Sounds like your friend put alot of work into that.

I priced the 2x2 16 gage steel 20ft sticks would cost me $27 a piece. I asked for the weight of just one stick and he said 34 lbs. So just the weight of the tubing for the frame is going to weigh around 204 lbs, add a little more weight for the weld, paint, and or fasteners etc etc. 204 lbs, so if I did it this way and wanted to place the frame on the back of my truck for any reason 2 maybe 3 of us can lift up the frame and place it on the truck.

reelfishin

Captain

Have you ever tried to lift a factory made slide in? The one I had was far too heavy to lift, it would have taken 6 or more big guys to lift out the truck. The normal set up is to have four jacks which double as a stand. You jack it up and drive out from underneath. A guy down the road from me has an older Chevy one ton truck with a Winnebago slide in made from fiberglass. I think it's from the early 80's or so. He, I, and about 8 others all helped lift it up onto his truck when he first got it. It was sitting on a flat deck trailer which he had used to pick it up out of state with. It took every ounce of strength we all had to get that thing on that truck. I think the weight was well over 1000 lbs.

The right answer is to build a lifting method right into the slide in unit. If not jacks, just a welded access point to the main frame of the thing to lift from and tie down too. The older ones had pretty much nil when it came to lifting points but later ones often had jacking points built in. The truck I had came with four jacks which could be used to lift the camper off. The extend of my moving that camper was only to reposition it once when I first got the truck since it was never set on perfectly straight. After that, it never left the truck.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I have no doubt that the completed truck camper would be heavy, hopefully nothing over what the truck can handle weight wise.

I have 1 or 2 camper jacks sitting around here, my uncle has 2 sitting down there that I might be able to get a hold of.

It's a shame I didn't get the money I was expecting from this one item this past weekend. I could have started purchasing the materials, now I'll just half to wait until after new years if I can even do it then.

I seen what looked like a short wheel base truck camper on Craigslist, I may of mentioned it in an earlier post, but he actually came down on the price (only a $100 off). He claimed he was having to sell it due to the fact that "the city was on to him about having it in his yard", so the camper has to go. Even though he came down on the price I still can't afford it, it's located in south Alabama about a 4 hour drive :(, and no telling how much cost in gas.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

EasyCamper.jpg

couldn't resist :)

reelfishin

Captain

I'd be more concerned with how it handles and how it stops.
While no doubt it took some engineering to build, it looks like it would be handful in close quarters to maneuver. Just picture having to back that into a camp space.

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you considered buying a 5th wheel short wheelbase travel trailer and pulling doubles?

I know many people are afraid of pulling doubles but, having done it with a big rig and a 1/2 ton I can tell you it is not that hard or dangerous. Or course trailer brakes on the travel trailer at least are a must.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I'd be more concerned with how it handles and how it stops.
While no doubt it took some engineering to build, it looks like it would be handful in close quarters to maneuver. Just picture having to back that into a camp space.

You make a good point. Still looks cool though. When thinking about it you would not wanna go that fast on that thing.

Have you considered buying a 5th wheel short wheelbase travel trailer and pulling doubles?

I know many people are afraid of pulling doubles but, having done it with a big rig and a 1/2 ton I can tell you it is not that hard or dangerous. Or course trailer breaks on the travel trailer at least are a must.

I've thought about a pull behind but not a 5th wheel. I've thought about pulling doubles in the past, reason being is because my uncle was going to do it with his pull behind camper and 12ft aluminum boat if a 5.5hp motor (that I sold him). He ended up loading the boat into the back of his truck and pulling the camper.

Being my truck only has a V6 in it, pulling doubles might not work to well, be to much on the motor (I would think). If I had a V8 it would be a different story. Don't get me wrong I'm not planning on traveling out of state with it or over 100 miles with any camper, but the time may come where I might be invited to do so. My boat is a 15ft Challenger bass boat with a 78' E'rude 85hp, just guessing on the weight to be around 1000 to 1500 if not better not including the boat's trailer.

I'm the type that likes to tinker around and build things, lately I've been working on building small things for example: I'm working on a homemade underwater camera, and fishing lures. Not saying I am going to make a perfect truck camper, it might not come out worth a flip who knows. I'll also look at something and say "hay I can make that why buy it". Ask TD, instead of buying a remote controlled Trolling motor (with Key fob), I built an or I should say made an electric steered trolling motor out of a foot controlled, even had it to where I could control it from the back of the boat (which TD gave me the idea), it wasn't any fancy Key Fob setup, but it worked :D.

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Being my truck only has a V6 in it, pulling doubles might not work to well, be to much on the motor (I would think).
I am not at all trying to steer you away from your plans but, do you think a homemade slide in camper would be less effort on your V6 than a small pull behind. Also consider this, with a slide in, when you pull your boat out of the water, you will also have the weight of the camper too. It's not like you can just drop it off like you can a pull behind.

Just food for thought...

Edit: Open to you or anyone else. I have a 1978 bumper hitch camper that needs to be torn down and rebuilt. I will call this a U-Haul special, you haul it off and you can have it. Located in West Plains MO. BTW it has a title...:cool:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I am not at all trying to steer you away from your plans but,

I understand that, and I appreciate it, and all the input.

do you think a homemade slide in camper would be less effort on your V6 than a small pull behind.

Being that I have no personal experience pulling a small camper, or hauling a truck slide in camper, I have no idea how the truck will act. I have pushed the truck pretty hard with loads in the bed, and I do know that my truck with it's V6 did pull a big 2150 John Deere Tractor on a double axle trailer without to much of a problem. This is from what I heard from my father, he's the one that borrowed the truck to pull his tractor home because his truck was broke down. We've also pulled a load of logs on a double axle trailer with my trucks, we had to do that before we went to get the tractor.

Also consider this, with a slide in, when you pull your boat out of the water, you will also have the weight of the camper too. It's not like you can just drop it off like you can a pull behind.

I've taken that into consideration. It might get a little hairy when launching at a steep ramp, but a majority of the ramps I use in or around a camp site are moderately sloped, not steep. I would think with a truck camper on back that it might give the truck a little more traction, but I've been wrong in the past.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about y'all, but I would still be planning this out of aluminum. Of course, to me, aluminum is the magic material. 'Course, if you could weld it, that would certainly be easier. You could make this all bolt/rivet together, but that would take more planning, however, it is still doable.

However, were you making it out of steel, I can't see why 1 inch would be too small. I don't think 2 inch square is really needed. If I were you, I would be looking at a 1 x 1 frame, with aluminum sheeting, and plywood on the inside for sound deadening and insulation purposes.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about y'all, but I would still be planning this out of aluminum. Of course, to me, aluminum is the magic material. 'Course, if you could weld it, that would certainly be easier. You could make this all bolt/rivet together, but that would take more planning, however, it is still doable.

However, were you making it out of steel, I can't see why 1 inch would be too small. I don't think 2 inch square is really needed. If I were you, I would be looking at a 1 x 1 frame, with aluminum sheeting, and plywood on the inside for sound deadening and insulation purposes.

I went by tractor supply today and seen some galvanized steel rails and thought to myself "hmmm I wonder if I could make that work for the frame" lol. I'm still serious about building this.

I'll look at the 1x1 and see how it flexes while handling it when I go and look into buying the materials. It would be cheaper to go with 1x1. If it seems easy to bow or bend then it probably wont be good to use as a frame. The place I will be dealing with on the steel might actually have aluminum tubing I'm not for sure.

I've been trying to download a free trial 3d cad. I had one downloaded at one point but I can't remember what happened to it. I figured I could virtually layout the inside of the camper with the 3d cad. Had other plans for the software as well.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Wild....I'd recommend using a larger section of material rather than 1x1. It will be stiffer and you won't be losing too much on your inner camper dimensions. A better choice over 1x1 steel would be 2x2 aluminum square tube (.100" wall thickness). The weights of the these materials is almost identical but the aluminum frame with the larger section would be quite a bit stiffer than the 1x1.
Were you thinking of square/hollow tube? ie: 1x1 x thickness? (1/16", .100", 1/8" or?)
No Question if weight is a consideration and if stiffness is needed...I'd go aluminum hands down.
Aluminum Pros: light (35% the weight of steel), relatively stiff, easy to find, more corrosion resistantant than steel. Easy to cut, tap and work with.
Aluminum Cons: can be more expensive depending on availability and size, not as strong as steel in identical sizes.
Steel Pro's: strong, easy to weld, relatively inexpensive, easy to find.
Steel Con's: not too stiff in 1x1 sections, heavy in larger/desireable sections, needs to be prepped/painted to avoid corrosion.
Try buying 4-8' of each material, cut it into 1' sections and weld them up into a sample box frame or similar and compare....I think you'll like the result of the aluminum. You can always reuse the pieces when you build the real deal.
As for Cad software have you looked at 'sketch up' which is free?
BP:)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Wild....I'd recommend using a larger section of material rather than 1x1. It will be stiffer and you won't be losing too much on your inner camper dimensions. A better choice over 1x1 steel would be 2x2 aluminum square tube (.100" wall thickness). The weights of the these materials is almost identical but the aluminum frame with the larger section would be quite a bit stiffer than the 1x1.
Were you thinking of square/hollow tube? ie: 1x1 x thickness? (1/16", .100", 1/8" or?)
No Question if weight is a consideration and if stiffness is needed...I'd go aluminum hands down.

Yes I was thinking hollow tubing from the start. As for the wall thickness I was thinking 16 gage but that might change. I honestly am not that familiar with calculating the thickness, I've been going by gage :redface:. If I put my mind to it I can probably figure it out :D.

Aluminum Pros: light (35% the weight of steel), relatively stiff, easy to find, more corrosion resistantant than steel. Easy to cut, tap and work with.
Aluminum Cons: can be more expensive depending on availability and size, not as strong as steel in identical sizes.
Steel Pro's: strong, easy to weld, relatively inexpensive, easy to find.
Steel Con's: not too stiff in 1x1 sections, heavy in larger/desireable sections, needs to be prepped/painted to avoid corrosion.

I hear ya on the paint, that alone can add up on the overall cost. If I went with steel it would be painted, no if ands or buts about it.

It would probably pay to use aluminum.... I shouldn't half to paint it, etc etc. So if I considered the price of the paint to paint the steel frame compared to just using the difference in buying aluminum tubing it might pay, got to see if I can find the aluminum tubing first.

Try buying 4-8' of each material, cut it into 1' sections and weld them up into a sample box frame or similar and compare....I think you'll like the result of the aluminum. You can always reuse the pieces when you build the real deal.
As for Cad software have you looked at 'sketch up' which is free?
BP:)

When I talked to the place in person, which is the only buisiness I know to buy the steel from other then dealing with a scrap yard, they said 20' sections. He didn't say they would cut them down or had shorter sections.

Never thought about building a sample box frame.

Never heard of "sketch up" for a cad program. I used Alibre design software before, they have been know to call you for reviews on their product, pretty expensive if you were to buy their product. Last night I downloaded "CoCreate 3d cad", at 120 megabytes or something like that. Haven't had that much time to play around with it yet. I figured I could use it for fishing lure designs also. Would of had it downloaded the other day but somebody took my computer off line :mad:.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Here is a suggestion that just may save you a few bucks. If you have a large ATV dealership in the area....... go and make friends. When I worked for one that sold Honda, Suzuki, Can-Am and Kawasaki we used to get some pretty fair size steel frame shipping crates. I really do not recall which barnd but most of the crates were scrapped and some were shipped back. They are a good source of steel tubing.

If you have any manufacturers in your area that sell machines with Honda engines..... Honda engines are shipped in nice steel tube containers too that are usually scrapped too.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a suggestion that just may save you a few bucks. If you have a large ATV dealership in the area....... go and make friends. When I worked for one that sold Honda, Suzuki, Can-Am and Kawasaki we used to get some pretty fair size steel frame shipping crates. I really do not recall which barnd but most of the crates were scrapped and some were shipped back. They are a good source of steel tubing.

If you have any manufacturers in your area that sell machines with Honda engines..... Honda engines are shipped in nice steel tube containers too that are usually scrapped too.

Hmmm..........Interesting, we have a cycle world that is less then 6 miles away, they deal in all makes of ATVs and Motorcycles. I honestly have only seen wooden crates at this business, not saying that they don't have any metal crates, I might just ask. I have done alot of business with "cycle world" in the past, the one guy at the parts counter knows me when I walk in. The worst thing is a majority of these companies around here let their employees scrap/sell the metal, some even have a regular person just come by and pick up a load 1 a month if not more. I found some of this out through collecting scrap metal, most places already have somebody lined up.

The only manufactures we have is 60 miles away for the auto industries, one is 40 miles away, but they only do components. Don't know of any ATV or motorcycle manufactures around.

If I went with steel, my father has some 2x2 tubing that I might be able to talk him out of. It isn't much but it would be a start.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Even if you offer the dealer a few bucks and get the steel for just above scrap prices .......... you will still be ahead of the game.

Yup there is a business in town that makes wood splitters and they use the honda engines.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'm in shops that build trailers, campers and motor homes all the time, plus helped a buddy build an enclosed trailer from scratch. If you think you're going to save money by building it yourself, you won't. By the time you get it outfitted with everything needed (stove, oven, fridge, heater, lights, windows etc.) it will nickel and dime you to death. Your best bet is to just watch the adds and find one that needs work for cheap, they're out there, just keep looking and you should be able to find one for a couple hundred bucks. A great deal of work has gone into the commercial models to maximize space and reduce weight. This is no different than the boats people work on here on iboats, finding a hull you like for cheap and then rebuilding it is much less expensive than trying to build the boat from scratch, but it still costs money, more than most people think.

I have a buddy that always thinks he can build it himself for less money, this is for trailers, computers, trucks, boats, outboards, etc. He ends up with huge stacks of junk that doesn't work, won't fit, wasn't what he needed and is obsolete. He ends up spending twice as much for something that doesn't work well and is worthless when it comes time to sell it.
I wait and just keep looking until the right deal comes along on whatever it is I'm looking for, sometimes it takes a year or more, but I will find it and every now and then I find it for free.

After saying all this, if you want a project, then go for it, if you want a camper, then do the work and look for a good deal on one.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Even if you offer the dealer a few bucks and get the steel for just above scrap prices .......... you will still be ahead of the game.

Yup there is a business in town that makes wood splitters and they use the honda engines.

I hear ya. Something to keep in mind, and might be a plan thanks. I was at my sis n laws father's house earlier today. He has all kinds of steel tubing 1x1 and 2x2 tubing. This gave me an idea of what I could use. The 1x1 steel tubing, is definitly going to be to small, unless I was looking at 3/4 inch tubing, but it still gave me an idea of what I'm looking at. I don't believe he would ever let any of that steel go, so I didn't bother asking him for a price on any of it.

I'm in shops that build trailers, campers and motor homes all the time, plus helped a buddy build an enclosed trailer from scratch. If you think you're going to save money by building it yourself, you won't.

I've been calculating, I haven't gotten into the aluminum siding or any of the other stuff, but I actually have some siding already that might be able to be salvaged/reused. We have plenty of lumber around, alot of it needs to be used up, and would be painted to seal it if I used it.

By the time you get it outfitted with everything needed (stove, oven, fridge, heater, lights, windows etc.) it will nickel and dime you to death.

I already have all of that, I even have the door. Some of the window framing I have may need new glass but not all of them do. I don't have a heater, I figure one of those heater buddies would be great to put in a camper. After dealing with my bass boat, and getting it into shape I know first hand about being nickeled and dimed to the point I couldn't see straight. Always something needed that we didn't have on hand, especially for the wiring and plumbing.

Your best bet is to just watch the adds and find one that needs work for cheap, they're out there, just keep looking and you should be able to find one for a couple hundred bucks. A great deal of work has gone into the commercial models to maximize space and reduce weight. This is no different than the boats people work on here on iboats, finding a hull you like for cheap and then rebuilding it is much less expensive than trying to build the boat from scratch, but it still costs money, more than most people think.

One option for me that is out is Craigslist, as of recently I no longer deal with that website, my choice.

I have a buddy that always thinks he can build it himself for less money, this is for trailers, computers, trucks, boats, outboards, etc. He ends up with huge stacks of junk that doesn't work, won't fit, wasn't what he needed and is obsolete. He ends up spending twice as much for something that doesn't work well and is worthless when it comes time to sell it.

I just hope my homemade underwater camera doesn't turn out like that. After seeing a few homemade campers on the internet, they look great, and you almost can't tell the differnces between factory built truck campers and the homemade.

I wait and just keep looking until the right deal comes along on whatever it is I'm looking for, sometimes it takes a year or more, but I will find it and every now and then I find it for free.

One option for me that is out is Craigslist, as of recently I no longer deal with that website, my choice.

After saying all this, if you want a project, then go for it, if you want a camper, then do the work and look for a good deal on one.

I wouldn't mind a project of this size, probably would enjoy the heck out of it, mainly because we have all the tools to make it happen.