Historical Facts about Gun Control

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Historical Facts about Gun Control

Toad – maybe this will help put things in perspective for you...we name our guns. :D <br /><br />Btw, I enjoy the perspective you bring in your postings. I don’t always agree with you…but then I don’t have to put up with Celine Dion and her sinking-boat love songs, either. She has nothing on Type O Negative. :)

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

We sent Celine and her Grampa/Husband to Vegas. Enjoy! ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Toad2001:<br /> You guys are in denial. 63% of the American public want an outright ban on the production of commercial assault weapons.
Toad, if that percentage is true, that is simply because they do not know what assault weapons are. They listen with, one ear, to the Peter Jennings, Dan Rathers and Tom Brokaws who constantly parrot the 'liberal feel good' implication that they are something that, in fact, they are not and because they are mean looking they must be bad.<br /><br />Even you show you show your ignorance with this statement:<br /><br />
When somebody goes "postal" and kills a dozen co-workers, you say guns don't kill people, people kill people. Well, newsflash: if they didn't have a gun which continued to shoot as long as the trigger was held down , I guarantee the incident would not be of the same magnitude
Furthermore the advocates of the assault gun ban know full well it is nothing more than incrementalism in their goal for a total gun ban.<br /><br />Today assault weapons, tommorrow handguns, then next, high power rifles, etc. Each step along the way they come up with some clever reasons that sound plausible to those that listen with only one ear. Unfortunately there seems to be a significant number of those.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Boomyal,<br /><br />I think you get the meaning of my post. I don't think it was ignorant because the types of guns I was referring to can be used in that manner. No they don't have to be, but they can be. Thats all I was saying.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Hey toady, my new 44 shoots great.....this one is a holster gun for when I am out and about in the woods in northern Wisconsin. Nice hard cast gas checked handloads...cheap insurance, and piece of mind having this weapon on my belt. Bet you as a Canuk can not do the same. That is why you are jealous and post the anti gun rhetoric you do.<br /><br />Enjoy toady while I roam the woods protected.<br /><br />Pat

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

I have never taken issue with that type of weapon.<br /><br />I always feel safe and secure, no matter what my surroundings are, and I don't ever have a hand gun. Perhaps thats my nature, or my environment. Probably a combination of both...

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a little newsflash. I could go to home depot and by a sixteen penny nailgun and an air compressor, pull the safety back on that baby with a claw hammer, and keep you outta my yard for as long as I had nails and kept the "trigger pulled." NO BACKGROUND CHECK, NO URINE SAMPLE!! What would stop me from taking that same nail gun to a public place and going "postal" with it. All that's needed is a gas powered compressor. Oh but wait, we should ban it too. I mean, after all, it is an assault weapon. It can fire off like crazy too. Well, now the American contractors are gonna have to go back to the hammer and nails. It's ok that you'll have little smiley faces on your baseboards, but nailguns are killin' are children :mad: :mad: . Besides all that, I would be more concerned about someone with a sawed off shotgun than someone with an "assualt weapon." It would spread easier and be easier to hit your targets. Even many targets at the same time with only ONE shot. Oh wait, we must take them because each BB is considered a round now and they fire many at once. Now we must consider shotguns as "assault weapons." What about those of us who just enjoy firing high-powered auto/semi-auto weapons. Not at people, but in a responsible manner just for fun. No "assault weapon" I've ever had my hands on has ever killed anybody. They don't like to come out much. They're afraid they'll get picked on all the time by people who just don't understand them. They ask me all the time why they've been singled out and I just don't know what to tell them. I mean, after all, they NEVER did anything wrong. They just always get picked on though. :p . Seriously though, you anti-gun gunophobes really need to wake up from you dreams in fairyland. Need I say it again? THERE IS NOT A PROBLEM!!! Do something productive with your life besides trying to solve nonexistent problems. Oh, by the way, did your government blanket arrive ok? We wouldn't want you do get hypothermia and become a victim of that horrible, horrible condition.<br />James

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm....they go about 30 feet...and it is after all a NAIL, so unless you took a whole bunch of them, I can't see the nail gun being an assault or even deadly weapon. Sorry jee, not a good argument.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not meant to be a good argument. It was mainly to show how stupid this whole gun control crap really is. Anyway, they can be modified to do just what I said, AND go farther than 30 feet with enough pressure. About it being "just a nail," that nail can do just as much if not more damage than a bullet.

Toad2001

Chief Petty Officer

Don't get so worked up. Nothing I say or do will change anything anyway. This is just dockside chat, remember??

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh I know. I just get worked up over this sometimes. I just try my best to get across to others who, in my opinion, don't really understand the gravity of this. Toad, I have nothing against you personally. I actually enjoy having opposing views on here because it keeps this place alive. Otherwise, it would be so boring. Believe me, life is too short to be at each others' throats all the time. I won't loose any sleep over it tonight ;) . I was mainly trying to open a few peoples eyes to the point I was trying to make. Hopefully it's at least shown you the other side of the coin and demonstrated how minor the "problem" really is. I too don't feel like I need a gun for protection where I live. I deliver pizzas and for the most part don't feel threatened or unsafe in Knoxville, but that doesn't mean that I should allow a right to be so easily taken. Like I said before, there is a reason it was the second amendment. Most of the gun violence is bad on bad, not bad on good. Sad to say it, but in a way it could kinda help weed out those criminals. Just remember not to always believe what the media tells you. They always make things out to be much worse than they really are. After all, good news doesn't sell papers.

18rabbit

Captain

In the past I have mentioned what the Uniform Crime Report is so I won’t go into it again. It is available online. Here are the stats for murder by weapon type for 1998-2002. The 2003 full stats aren’t published, yet.<br /><br /> http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/xl/02tbl2-10.xls <br /><br />Deaths from firearms, all types, 2002: 9369.<br />Total murders (all sources): 14054.<br /><br />Note: I remember before the ban on assault weapons, the number of murders by firearms (all types) was right around 6000 +/-.

SCO

Lieutenant

Have wanted to get back to point out a lot of our differences are in how we view firearms. The following is no exageration. When I was growing up, I did not know of anyone whose household did not have guns. Even today that is mostly true. (Texas). I have never been afraid of guns, or people having them, but have always been afraid of what they can do and treat them w respect. I have been afraid of yahoos with guns in hunting situations. I have personally known of 3 people to lose their lives to guns in my lifetime...2 to hunting accidents involving stupidity, and one 6th grade kid trying to take his fathers loaded revolver from a little bro found in a bedside table. I don't carry one myself and like Toad dont feel the need to. Seems to me that the anti gun folks are afraid of guns and in their minds view gun owners as hicks or criminals. An example is something I saw while reading about the turtle watchers on Padre Island Nat Seashore. These watchers reide 4wheelers up and down looking for clutches, to me a worthy advocation, but the job attracts eastern anti gun young folks. HEre is what one said(best I can recollect): "There are people smuggling drugs and illegal immigrants. Sometimes you wont see anyone else all day. Sometimes it is scary, you will be out of radio range and see a sign shot up by a gun and realize that there are yahoos with guns out here" . My point is that the interviwee is afraid of guns and those that have them. The smugglers though, now they are dangerous. Solution, keep clear of smuggler types and carry a gun in the back country. This isn't as coherent as I wanted, but maybe a few of you will get the drift.