Here i go.... Thundercraft Restore

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Here i go.... Thundercraft Restore

They are easily replaceable. I'd grind 'em the heck off. Also I agree with Landscaping Wiz above....just hack out the existing transom however you can. Then make a cardboard template for a new one. It's not a complicated shape.

You beat me to it ezmobee!:D

BOB

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Well, it look's like this "NUTs" club just continues to grow. :D
Bob

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i had to grind it off, dont want to spend any more money then i already have to, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do:rolleyes:
got most of the transom out today... sorry no pics.. i picked most of it off with my hands :eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

See we told you :)

I like that boat. It's worth the effort you're putting into it.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i sure hope so! jk, if i didnt love this boat, i probabily wouldent be doing this

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just read Drewpster's whole thundercraft transom+stringers thread, i am scared:(

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Hey pmat1 - Check out this page I found. It has Thundercrafts listed by the year they were manufactured. There are a few 162s listed for 1986, maybe it'll help identifying yours.

http://www.iboats.com/Thunder_Craft/bp/20br1503

I still haven't been able to get a hold of my neighbor in MA, but will follow up if I hear from him.

BOB

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am now positive it is a 162SS Regency!
Finally after 3 years of owning it, i know what model it is!
Thank you, landscaping wiz!

the transom is now 85% out, buying all the wood is not in our budget right now, its my birthday monday, and i already spent my birthday money :(

drewpster

Commander

I just read Drewpster's whole thundercraft transom+stringers thread, i am scared:(

No need to be scared, just dive in!
You should know that I am doing all the work on the tri-hull in order to learn as much as I can about doing glass work. I intend to apply what I learn to a larger project. (Nostalgic) I have purposely gone through as many details as I can in doing the little boat in order to learn the processes involved. In some cases there is no practical need to go as far as I have with that little boat.
If you intend to re-core the boat completely you will have to go in to it accepting the fact that it is a big job with allot of work and expense. It will take effort and money to do it right. That said, also understand that I am going much further than the factory ever did in originally building the boat. (and it lasted 32 years) I intend to keep the little boat unless I get the right offer. It is highly unlikely that I will ever get out of it, money wise, what I have put into it. After all, even in restored shape, it is still a 30 year old boat. But the experience, education and fun I get out of doing it is priceless. And it is the real reason I am doing it. Not to mention all the friends I have met along the way.

Just dive in, its only money, time, irritation, aggravation, pain, obsession......did I mention money?
drewp

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the re-encouragement!
Its not the work im woried about, its the money!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey pmat1,
I like your boat, it looks a lot like mine.
Keep in mind during your rebuild that, the only time limit is the one you put on yourself. Do what you can when you can, that goes for the money and time. My job keeps me away from home a lot. I only get a few hours a month on mine. Just keep plugging away. Good luck
Have a great day.
Bob

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it bad to leave just the hull outside on the trailer? Theres not much i can do until i get supplies, and my trooper needs some attention too:(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't think there'd be any issues. Just don't let it fill up with water.