Here I go, feet first {w/pictures}

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: Here I go, feet first {w/pictures}

Hey John, I'm at 11-1/2 mile and 75, stop by when your in the hood, I'll buy ya a cold soda or something. Yer right, I should leave the storage area in, can never have too much of that. Yes I have a mask, but I can't find it's 'keep dust away' switch..lol

Thanks 68C15, yes these folks are great in offering firsthand knowledge {and free at that!!!} Thanks as well for your tip on the sleeves...The wife's all ready itching just from watching...I tell her it's from the dog's flea's not the f/g ;)

Thanks again KeepNitreel, those are the kind of folks you really like working with but are so hard to find at times, thanks for another bookmark.

Yep will do !!! and if your up here stop on by !! always willing to show her off !!you probley get up here more then I get down there !!heck you make it up here and we could take her for a run !!!Boy it feels good to say that !!! lol John

cheesegrits

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's a trick I learned from a bodyman friend of mine. The bodyshop he works at does some large truck repairs and he would always complain how the fiberglass itch would drive him nuts! He told me to take some 2" masking tape, pull off about 2 feet and roll it into a ball with the glue on the outside. Then take this and roll it over your skin and the glue pulls out any fibers buried in your pores and just lying on top of skin. Don't laugh it actually works! Sometimes you have to roll it over and over to catch the majority of fibers but who cares! Greatly reduces the itch factor. One more thing try not to use duct tape as it is too sticky and will get stuck in your hair! OUCH! Good luck with your project I know it will look great when done. I also agree about using straps to keep shape but myself would have built a cradle for hull before removing cap. My .02 put the cap back over it and build one just to make sure gravity hasn't started working yet.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Tom, your not kidding on the foam...6 trash bags worth, and about 50lb's a bag at that.
Yep..This is a great state to live in for water-lovers, but I don't have to tell you that...lol

***How does one tell the difference between floatation foam over structural foam?***anyone?

That's what I was afraid of Singinout...can't stop now I guess,lol

Hey John, just finished lookin at your masterpiece, I'll be happy with 10% of that beauty...awesomely done!!! May stop by someday to look at her, I'd be afraid to step on her though ;)

Another good tip Cheesegrits, Thanks...to lazy to build cradles now, but should be fine with the straps and with the forgiving sides and all the measurements I took...appreciate it though. Story of my life ya know, 'hindsight' lol........................Kenny

rngale

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you have a marine supply store near you or a fiberglass shop that will sell you stuff, there are barrier creams out there that you apply to your skin before grinding. The cream dries on your skin closing your pores but lets your skin breath. When you shower after grinding, the dust washes off before the cream and you have very little itch factor. If you cant find the barrier cream ive heard that talc/baby powder works too just not as good on hot sweaty days.

jcsercsa

Captain

HAHAHAHA I made her to be used , In fact I am heading out now!! anytime your up this way just let me know !!!!!!

And as far as I know there is no difference in the foam,use the marine foam Its supposed to be 98 % water proof. This might open a can of worms !!! there has been a lot of decision on this, there is a lot of guys that hate the stuff !!! but i look at it this way , if some thing happens out there I want to be as safe as possible !! and you could cut my boat in half and she would still float !!!!!

Ok I late later John

jonesg

Admiral

If there was next to no woodwork under deck then the foam could be considered structural like a whaler, but you have a framework of stringers and cross braces.

blot101

Seaman Apprentice

i'm enjoying this thread. lemme ask you something. you're grinding the glass off yes? well, how fast is it? i mean, i've been chiseling mine, hoping for less itch, and it seems to be going fast enough... i assume by "grinding" you don't mean sanding. so is it just to cut the seams to remove the wood and old glass?

post more pictures, and get on it... so i can see what to do myself! i've got an old fiberglass boat, that i'm trying to restore myself, but we'll see i gues...

people say take your time, that actually translates to "don't cut corners" i find it difficult to not cut corners, i just want it out on the water already. i don't even know if i'll look at the transom... (yet)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for that Rngale, so far I've been lucky...doesn't seem to bother me much, time will tell I'm sure. I've been wearing a long sleeve pull-over shirt with rubber bands around the wrist, buttoned up to the top, using a fan and the shop vac held near by, I give 'er a few good minutes then take a break to wipe the sweat pool out of my goggles{I can sweat just thinking of work..lol} and blow the dust off myself and the grinder with the air compressor. Then again I've just begun, so I will keep that in mind just in case.

I hear you John, not sure which side of the 'foam' fence I'm gonna fall off, leaning heavy to the foam sheet stuff to keep it off the hull as much as possible. I really appreciate the ride offer, could of used it a few times today for some relaxation...settled for a lawn chair break inside the removed cap and having the Mrs spray some water from the hose at me...Haha...socks now but will be worth it when finished :)

Thanks Jonesg, great explanation as that was really bothering me wondering what I removed.

Hey Blot101, I'm enjoying this thread as well, these folks sure put to rest any uneasy feelings! Yes I'm grinding but speed and me were never good friends{lol, goes quick} just about have the transom outer skin ready and started on making the new transom this evening. I'm taking it one step ata time, transom first then one stringer at a time, I'm a big ol feller and can use the other stringers/structure to help support my sprawling around inside the hull. I feel your desires on getting out soon, but look at it this way...only thing I'll have to worry about when I get out there, will be - did I bring enough liquid refreshments, and what do the fish want to eat...
Hang in there and 'check' the transom for peace of mind at least!................Cheers everyone.......Kenny

p1013297.jpg

p1013299.jpg

Last edited:

DualCore

Seaman Apprentice

If your looking for even more protection from the dust, I've found that Tyvek coveralls work well. Eastpointe fiberglass has them for about $8.50. They are on 9 mile just west of Kelly. I wear a tyvek coverall then over that I have a denim mechanics coverall. The tyvek keeps the dust out and the denim protects the tyvek from ripping. It's hot but works well.

Also, if you need more plywood, Consumers Lumber on Groesbeck (at m59) is going out of business and has everything marked down. I picked up some 1/2 in AB exterior fir on Friday for something like $33 a sheet.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks DualCore, hadn't looked for any local shops yet, appreciate that, I'll
have to stop in and check them out. Thanks for the CL tip as well...man ya gotta dig this site...hands down the greatest bunch of helpful folks around.

Not much new to report as life keeps getting in the way. Been doing some homework here, reading all I can trying to learn the things I need to use and to order for glassing. Figured I'd give the neighbors a holiday break from the grinder screaming and took to playing around with the cap finish. Took a scotch pad and some 3m heavy duty rubbing compound and went with fairly light rubbin pressure, followed by a wet sanding with 500 grit{all I had on hand}, then rinsed it all off and rubbed in some Petroleum Jelly{dollar store cheap stuff} and let her 'bake' in the sun all afternoon before wiping off...here's the results so far{pics below - I haven't touched the interior parts yet}, think I'm going to do another jelly rub today while it's hot and sunny and then get after the polishing compound and get it ready for final finish, hope it keeps getting better cause I'm smilin now :)

beforer.jpg

during1x.jpg

during2.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow that really shined up nice!

Rickairmedic

Commander

That looks fantastic I think I would leave well enough alone as it looks well polished in the pics and also looks like it has a metalflake finish that could get mottled with more polishing.

Rick

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys, luv the feed back :D...ya Rick, maybe I'll do some experimenting somewhere unseen/safe, Thanks for looking out for this noob, means a lot!............Kenny

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great job man! Lookin great!!

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yup, id leave that paint just the way she is! You are doing a good job. Check out my thread for some pointers as I am a few steps ahead of you and am using epoxy as well. ANY questions and I will be there in a heartbeat. I can help you narrow your mind a bit from ALL the options. THat was the hardest part for me, TOO many options. What I am using is exceding my expectations! Keep up the good work.:D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys, appreciate your time! Thanks Chris, I've been following yours, thanks for the offer as well.

What is the function of this{see photo}, and/or is the hull structurally dependant on it? I've removed the port side one so far as they're both rotten, and was wondering if I 'need' to replace it/them...I'm figuring structural, but since the deck is tied in already{originally} to the hull and...well, now you know what that smell is.... it's me thinking again lol

if it helps..they're 3"x5"x75" and open ended... with nothing between them and the deck or hull.

p1013259.jpg

p1013327.jpg

removed view
p1013326.jpg

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

not 100 percent sure but my boat had something simular and it was used as a " shelf " under the gunwales

erikgreen

Captain

From its position it could be structural, it would stiffen the sides of the hull and keep them from flexing some.

It could also be for running cables and hoses back to the stern.

You could check the sides of the boat right now with one side out and one in, and see how much difference in flex there is... even a half inch of flex might make a difference over months of use, you could get gelcoat cracks, etc.

Erik