help! Now won't start

brokenboat

Seaman
Re: help! Now won't start

Carbs gone through again, floats are correct and all jets are clean. Carbs reinstalled. Tried to start without success. Have it hooked to a separate tank just in case it was the fuel pump. It is not. Placed my palm over carb during cranking and felt a vacuum on both carbs so it would seem it is getting fuel to carb and pulling it through but not at the right time of the spark.What is next?

brokenboat

Seaman

Had another thought and it is about the reed valves. Also it would not even pop with a quick squirt of wd40 or starting spray.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

brokenboat,<br />Back on the 18th you said you installed a primer bulb in fuel line but it wouldn't pump like your outboard. Is that still the case? When you pump the bulb, it won't get hard?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

brokenboat

Seaman

I have bypassed the fuel pump entirely now. Bulb will get hard once the bowls are full. I mean to say that I am on the 6 gallon tank rather than the built in tank. The original set up was no primer bulb. The motor just will not fire. I'm putting in new spark plugs tomorrow - just to waste some more money.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If it'll run when you squirt premix in the cylinders, I don't think plugs will help. Have you tried to manually choke it, with hands or cardboard or rags in the carburetors? I'd do that until it started or flooded.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi brokenboat,<br /><br />The timing procedure Solittle refers to was posted by Joe Reeves in the post called "Evinrude timing questions" posted on 31 October. Timing questions I agree with Rick that your problem seems to be a fuel problem as she runs when fuel squirted into cylinders. What I do not understand is how you bypassed the fuelpump by just using the 6 gallon fuel tank? If you do not have a fuel pump connected, you'll never get her to run.

brokenboat

Seaman

I wanted to fill the carburator bowls and be certain they were since there was no way to check.I felt as though it would run off the gas in the carbs. It'll get hooked to the fuel pump and I will try the manual choke as mentioned previously. Thanks for the input.

brokenboat

Seaman

This is getting to be a long post so let me know if I need to repost.<br /><br />I am wondering about the reed valves. When I first placed my hand near the carb and cranked the motor I felt air pushing out. Upon a tight seal with my hand is when I felt the vacuum. <br /><br />I'm not sure how the reed valves work or what could affect them, but I will mention there was a slight backfire that occurred before my original post. Also, I recall the the water hose being connected and on, but only for a few seconds before the engine started. Could water have gotten in the motor somehow? This is a turbo jet engine so I realize the water should not be on until it is running, but it was momentarily until I realized the slip. Does any of this make a difference?<br /><br />Mike

brokenboat

Seaman

After scouring over prior posts on starting and timing I believe I should have a look at the flywheel key. I say this because another check with the timing light shows #1 to be after TDC rather that 4 degrees before for cranking. How difficult is it to remove the flywheel. I have air tools. Should I use the impact for tightening?

rudeafrican

Petty Officer 1st Class

BB,<br /><br />Do a search on flywheel removal, there are some excellent posts describing in detail the procedure. When re-assembling the flywheel it is very important to torque it to the factory recommended spec in order to avoid shearing the key.<br /><br />I would also check out that timing, should not be retarded to 4 degrees AFter TDC.<br /><br />Keep at it, you'll eventually get her purring again and you'll feel like a million bucks!<br /><br />PS. Keep this thread going instead of starting a new one. Sort of helps to keep things in 1 place.

brokenboat

Seaman

Maybe this should be a new thread?<br /><br />Now it is blowing the 20amp fuse in the harness to solenoid. Ignition was left on, which has been done before, only to discharge the battery.<br />Battery has been recharged. Replaced fuse and switched key to on - heard the faintest warning whistle and that's all. What is up with this?

brokenboat

Seaman

I gave up and brought it in to the shop. I'll post what was wrong. I'm sure I caused it all

sterling66

Seaman Apprentice

Brokenboat sorry to hear you had to take your motor to the shop,been reading your thread and was thinking you were all most there.All the best let us know what the problem was.I would have liked help but out of my league!!!. :D

brokenboat

Seaman

The electrical problem that was never there before threw me off. Thanks to this forum I was nearly there, but a gremlin got in the boat overnight. I'll post the solution was it is known to me......no matter how embarassing simple it will probably be!

brokenboat

Seaman

Update.<br /><br />The mechanic says it is the fuel pump. So that will be replaced. The fuse did not short for him so I'm sure it will for me once it comes home! Also, he inquired about a primer. This boat never had one, but I have seen some with the same motor that had a primer of sorts that bolted to an engine wall. The primer bulb is not Coast Gaurd approved. Does anyone know where I can get the correct primer?

clanton

Rear Admiral

The OMC number for the approved primer pump is 437700.

mattttt25

Commander

talk about using this board to the fullest...<br /><br />you have more patience and determination than me.<br /><br />good luck and let us know what happens-

clanton

Rear Admiral

I not sure about the correct timing spces on this engine, may be a little different then outboard. The 1996 crossflow engine throttle pickup timing is 4-+ 1 degrees BTDC, this is set/checked when you do link and sync adjustments.<br /> You shhould also check the small plastic roller on the timing linkage, if the the clear plastic sleeve is missing, timimg may be off 4/6 degrees.