help! Now won't start

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: help! Now won't start

What about the fuel filter? The fuel filter is metal, inline before pump. 1995 had mechainal primer with black button on top mounted in boat engine compartment.

brokenboat

Seaman

The fuel filter was replaced with a see through inline filter. It was dirty, but when carbs were cleaned there really wasn't any trash to speak of.<br /><br />The solenoid does click when key is pushed like it should. I was thinking that maybe it was stuck open ( a hunch) and just flooding the cylinder with straight fuel. I believe it is working fine though. <br /><br />I put an primer bulb in line. I cannot get it to fill like on my outboard. There is fuel in the tank. There is no anti-siphon valve though. Would that make a difference?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

How bout the pickup tube in the fuel tank? Could it have come loose from the connector assembly?

brokenboat

Seaman

Thanks for that suggestion Rick.<br /><br />I checked it and the tube and hose were secure. I have removed the anti-siphon valve to get another one since this one is punched out. I don't anticipate that will make a difference, but at least it will have the safty feature that valve offers.<br /><br />The plugs are what is recommended in the service manual and gapped .030 as specified. I don't know how to check spark with plug in. They were removed and held about 1/2" from block. Good spark jump when ignition applied.

brokenboat

Seaman

Can I hook up a six gallon fuel tank to the carb, pump the primer just to see if it is/is not getting gas to start and run of fuel in bowl? I will be bypassing the fuel pump which I suspect may be bad.

fishinhole

Seaman Apprentice

will not go below 1800 after carb rebuilds check linkages, not letting engine idle down. is compression ok? should not be more then 10% between cyl. engine is cross flow, must have cross flow power box! are all fuel lines and hoses tight!! is engine over heating, buy a laser heat ck. gun for $100, will! come in handy for checking all spots on engine. again ck. conpression.

Jim@KSC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Laser heat ck. gun for $100?<br /><br />What's this? :confused:

brokenboat

Seaman

When the engine would run I checked it with the laser heat gun. Cylinder head temp. was 105 F which seemed fine. Compression is an equal 120 in all four cylinders. Hooked up six gallon fuel tank and still will not start. Timing light shows it to be off, but firing near the cylinders marked spots on flywheel. I suspect the timing as I don't even get a pop. Could the wrong power pack have thrown off the timing? How do you correct the timing?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Teaspoon of gas was put in each cylinder. It ran fine while that was being used up. Spark is good with the old pack. Put a primer bulb in fuel line, but before the VRO/fuel pump. Got it to fire but not run. Just a 1 or 2 second run and stall
Still sounds like a Fuel problem. Are the plugs wet? Are you still getting spark? Can you use a spray bottle of pre-mix and try to start it and will it run if you do? Could be the reeds if you got it to go by putting fuel directly into the cylinders(Not through the Carbs).

brokenboat

Seaman

thanks for sticking with me rick<br /><br />Checked the plugs and they did not seem wet. There was a little fuel on them, but not wet as I interpret the word.<br /><br />I also wonder if the floats could be stuck? I will try the premix and advise

brokenboat

Seaman

Rechecked the plugs and have good spark. Jumped 1/2" to ground.<br /><br />squirted some premix in each cylinder with syringe and it started and ran until that was gone. Sounded good to at least hear it do this.<br />What's next--another go through of the carbs or timing?<br /><br />Mike

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

brokenboat - I just skimmed this so may have missed something. On 11/17 you said that the timing was nearly right on #1 TDC. Timing must be set to a specified number of degrees before TDC as indicated in the manual for your motor. For my motor it is 28 degrees before TDC. If you set yours at TDC you are way off. Or maybe I'm way off???

brokenboat

Seaman

Solittle I checked the flywheel. It is indexed with timing light pickup points at 28, 4 and TDC. Flywheel rotates clockwise while cranking and the flash is AFTER TDC. If this is wrong how do you change it?

fredmfl

Cadet

Try the following checks:-<br />1. Check to see if the Emergency Stop switch is working okay and functional.<br />2. There is a Primer Solinoid on the top front starboard side of the carburator. Check to make sure it is set in the run position [lever turned to point to the port side of the engine]. In the other position, it helps to start manually.

brokenboat

Seaman

Emergency stop is not malfunctioning.<br /><br />There is no lever on this engine's primer solenoid.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

brokenboat - JB has an excellent post on how to set timing (go to search to find - it was to a 40hp but he advised in a later post that it would apply to my 1988 v4 OMCs). <br /><br />Basically you pull all the plugs and ground them. Connect your timing lite to #1 cyl. (assumes that you have the pointer set when #1 is at top dead center). Move throttle full forward and make sure timing is in contact with stop (tie if necessary). Crank motor and set timing 4 degrees before value called for in the specs for your motor. Mine call for 28 degrees so by subtracting 4 from that I would set my timing at 24 degrees. JB said that this was equivalant to checking it in the water at speed & that timing at idle would take care of itself.

brokenboat

Seaman

Thanks<br /><br />Could not find JB's post. How do you ground the plugs - tape/fasten them to the block. Most of what I have read on this forum re: timing is for running motors. <br /><br />Shop manual for this motor says: Max. spark advance<br />1. Install spark plugs and connect the leads. Connect timing light to #1<br />2.Start and run engine at full throttle in forward with the timer base fully advanced<br />3.the eng. timing mark must alighn with the correct degree on flywheel (it is 28 +- 1 degree)<br /><br />Since mine will not start and certainly not run where do I fit in to this procedure. I just want to be sure I do it right and not fully screw it up<br /><br />Mike

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

brokenboat,<br />I would check into the Carb's again. If it runs when you squirt fuel into the throats, then you have a fuel delivery problem.