Help an Aussie to understand......

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Help an Aussie to understand......

Chris,<br /><br />I'll add my last 2 cents to this. We, here in the states can't for the world, understand why the Brit's have a royal family. Whats up with high tea? Why are the french, well, so french. Whats with the running with bovine in Spain? There are entire sections of the globe where women can't show their face in public. <br /><br />Different cultures have different customs and rituals. These customs define what it is to be a member of that culture. Nobody here is required to own a weapon, but it would be difficult to be the home of the free and the brave without the right to own whatever legal and clearly defined items that adults would like to own. Hunting is a family tradition for millions of Americans and is a legacy that is passed down to the young. <br /><br />No real American should expect a life without risk, but we do our best to provide a world that affords everyone the rights to personal happiness, expression, and tradition. It is cliche' but guns don't kill people, people do. We don't take our traditions lightly and as this particular right is detailed as the SECOND ammendment, and our mistrust of government requires that we the people have control over it. There are those who think that the guns make this a dangerous place to live, it is my belief that a lack of morals and a sense of entitlement that makes this a dangerous place, at times. Based on the line of thought some have put forth, we should outlaw airliners.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good points there Pointer94. Differences are what makes this world interesting. In many ways our countries are different, but in many ways they are also the same.<br /><br />I don't own a gun myself because New Zealanders generally don't carry guns (we're even less likely to carry guns than our Australian friends). But if I was American I would be living in different conditions and surroundings, so, who knows...maybe I would....<br /><br />AChris - remember I told you about the cat and the pigeons... ;)

aspeck

Staff member

Link, you aint' far behind me! Only difference is I might use one on that cat of yours :D :p <br /><br />I also think having the power to kill an animal gives me more respect for it. This morning I watched a doe and a fawn, complete with white spots, enjoying the grass on the other side of the road from my house. I could admire and respect them as long as they stayed on the other side of the road! Get in my shrubs and you will find a quick pass to my freezer! HA!

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Achris, <br />I rarely chime in, mostly just review, but some instances I can't resist. <br /><br />The right to bear arms was not intended as the "right to enjoy shooting" or the "right to hunt game" or even the "right to defend yourself against your neighbor" ... the intention and context for the amendment was to assure the citizens of this country had a means to change their government and be equally armed. Our government previous this amendment was England, had the citizens no arms, we may be part of the UK today. That was the intention and any other justification doesn't hold water. I suggest to you, that it is difficult for some to understand "protecting yourself against your government" when you live in a country where you are relatively happy and prosperous, which applies to most Aussies and Americans at this time. I suggest to you that there are other nations in this world where the citizens are oppressed by their government, and live a miserable life, while they have no real means to change things. I could continue, but believe the explaination is crystal clear already. As for the crime associated with firearms, that is part of the price "we" pay for freedom.<br /><br />Good day mate.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

this has been a very good thread for the most part,<br />but perhaps it is time to do as the author achris<br />asks and let it die an honorable death?<br />well done,<br />M.Y.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Dunaruna and 62_Kiwi, You have both made reference to "carrying" , assuming you mean concealed carry of a (hand)gun.<br /><br />Very very few people here in the US carry a gun on the streets. Concealed carry is still illegal in the state I live in.<br /><br />The majority of concealed carry permit holders don't even carry a gun most of the time, only when needed, such as tranporting valuables.<br /><br />I think if we opened this discussion up to the concealed carry issue, we would have 500 posts.

SCO

Lieutenant

Simply put, guns allow one a measure of defense against a younger or stronger invader. Home invasions are popular now a days, so this isn't paranoia. We've got a crime problem here. Guns didn't cause the problem, destruction of values, tradition, and polarization of people into separate identities(vs "Merican") did. I have no doubt that guns make crime easier, but right now, today, the criminal knows he is taking his life in his hands to break into a house. Should the porquipine dequill? Should the skunk destink? Some of said animals did in fact try those strategies, and were darwinized. I don't carry a gun, though legal here, but if things get more dangerous than they currently are, I'm glad the option is available.

Link

Rear Admiral

aspect <br />
Link, you aint' far behind me! Only difference is I might use one on that cat of yours <br />
ewwwwwww had to my cover my little Tabatha's eyes when the screen came up! :) 3 months old now. Soo cute curled up in my lap sleeping. As the runt of the litter though she seems to have something to prove.. climbs higher, jumps farther, and is always in pounce mode when awake! Little ears sorta look like horns (nicked named Devil Cat when awake) as she is so cute but ALWAYS up to something!<br /><br />BTW we decided to keep the 4 kits and their mother together as a family unit. Maybe when they grow up they will run away from home :D :D <br /><br />Oh forgot about knife throwing as another hobby.<br />Had a former Navy Seal teach me when I was a kid and even bagged a few Grouse and rabbits with them.<br />How could you ever shoot Bambie Aspect?? bad aspect, bad aspect! :p