Has anyone seen or heard of a trailer tire doing this?

Earl Cordova

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replace every tire between 6 and 7 years old, regardless of what they look like.
Sure it seems like you are wasting money,
but a blowout on an old tire at highway speeds caused $7,000 worth of body damage on my restored truck.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Or consumers being cheapskates discouraging quality tire companies from making consumer/recreational trailer tires at all.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I see a lot of Trailers with Passenger Car Tires or Truck Tires on them. Telling the Owner, he/she is Flirting with Disaster, is usually met with a 'It's None of your Business what I put on my Trailer'. Actually it is our Business as those Morons are on the Roads we also use

AverageJoe72

Cadet
I suspect this in an old wives tale….the truth to the matter is that UV and ozone are tire killers.

Easier to just keep fresh tires on the equipment and not worry about it..lol
I don't agree. Keeping the tires out of the mud when wintering your trailer does keep them from rotting. I've seen it with my own eyes. True, though, I also look at my old wive's tail from time to time as well.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think jacking the trailer and rotating the tires every few months can help because what I noticed with the last set I replaced was that the majority of cracks was in the spot where the tire sat for over a year when I was making major repairs. So now every 2 months I jack it up & spin the tire 180* so that the same part of the tire doesn’t have all that weight in one place all winter. I found that each tire has approx 2250 lbs on it!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think jacking the trailer and rotating the tires every few months can help because what I noticed with the last set I replaced was that the majority of cracks was in the spot where the tire sat for over a year when I was making major repairs. So now every 2 months I jack it up & spin the tire 180* so that the same part of the tire doesn’t have all that weight in one place all winter. I found that each tire has approx 2250 lbs on it!
Why do that? Just block the axle up and the weight won’t be there.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Why do that? Just block the axle up and the weight won’t be there.
Exactly.
Block up the axle.
Two good reasons:
The weight won't be on the tires and the tires won't be in contact with the ground.

Actually a third reason:
I keep my stern drive all the way down during winter storage so the bellows are relaxed. I fear if my tires go flat for some reason, the drive won't hit the ground since the axle is supported.

It's probably a good idea to cover your tires if your trailer is kept outside. UV rays are obviously not good for them.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I don't to that only because I'm always a little afraid of leaving something that heavy, up on jack stands all winter...but a good idea yes.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I don't to that only because I'm always a little afraid of leaving something that heavy, up on jack stands all winter...but a good idea yes.
As long as its solid ground it's ok. Mine is on concrete, so its stable.
If you are on the ground and not concrete, you could sit the jack stands on heavy plywood to spread the weight out and prevent them from digging into the ground.

I did not know this before, but a friend saw my boat sitting out back and said you have to put boards under the tires when stored, if you don't, they will crack at the ground surface. He stores all his equipment at his farm on wood and does not have that issue. I do know when they sit and get low on air they do crack on the sidewalls/bottoms where they contact the ground. I'm switching to his method this year. I did a count of my tires, 32 tires is a lot to replace from lack of proper storage. ugh....
Or even better, place jack stands under the trailer to keep the tires off the ground completely. That way there's no chance of tires getting flat spots.