Hangkai 3.6hp clutch

matt167

Captain
The Hangkai 3.6hp I have is in need of repair after a short life. I would chuck it except it's perfectly suited for my Seahawk 3 inflatable. Sips gas, 5-6 MPH with 2 people and 1/4 throttle or so. I was running against a current at WOT and the engine was running below the rpm it should have been at WOT. The prop slip was not enough, and the motor smoked the clutch since the water was essentially a brake at that point... Make no mistake, it's a great motor and a pile of crap all in the same package. There is no other 12lbs 1.5hp ( 3.6hp way over rated ) with an exhaust in the leg made anytime remotely recent. This really is a gas trolling motor. The powerhead is modified weed eater but runs great. It's 55cc

The clutch is modeled after a Honda GX35 brush cutter clutch and that clutch also fits ( I can buy OEM Honda clutch ). One guy with one of these put a lighter spring in the clutch to make it bite harder at low rpm. But couldn't I remove the spring, and remove neutral basically and make it much stronger engagement? I paddle out to deeper water before dropping the motor down anyway, so neutral is really not needed. I go where there is no dock

matt167

Captain
Think I'm going to match up a lighter spring, just in case the spring is needed