Handicapped, but eager

A friend of mine( brother-in-the-Lord ), came across this beast and put me in charge of finding out what to do with it. A 1978 original Sebring Bass boat manufactured in Cullman, AL. Trying to manage pics but dont really no what I'm doing. Anyhow, boat came with a Evinrude 150. I'll give more details (mod.#, ser.# etc.) later. Outside of hull is in immaculate condition, even pinstripes are flawless. Blue metalflake has no fade or clearcoat trouble. One problem , I'm sure there are plenty, is that engine is missing all carbs and starter. Iwas told they were stolen. I'm looking for good advice as far as is worth restoring, is it really worth the money. I can't do much due to my health, but I think I would like to own this boat if it was fully restored. I have a local professional restorer 5 miles from me. He said he would cut me some slack if I let him work it in his schedule through out this entire year. I'm thinking that would work for me money wise.I work on pics later.

Attachments

• IMG_20131019_112510.jpg
    IMG_20131019_112510.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20131019_112416.jpg
    IMG_20131019_112416.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Handicapped, but eager

That's 35 plus year old boat you have there. How the boat was maintained will dictate how much work you will have. With outboards being one of the most expensive parts of a boat, you might want to see what it will cost to get that part clearly understood. A very detailed inspection of the floors, stringers (under the floors) and the transom would also be a great start. You need to learn your boat, and understand what it will take to get her safely back on the water. Your boat contains wood in the structure, and if water is allowed to get in, you will find some rot. Do you have tittles for everything?
I view it as getting a base line, and then try to price everything out, starting with the outboard. Anything can be fixed on glass boats, it just doesn't usually make sense to pay someone to do the work, because you usually wont get your return on that cost. Have some fun building your project base line, and I think you came to the right place, lots of really smart boat guys here. I learn every day!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well.......... I would be very careful. What I see is a trailer loaded with parts and possible restoration nightmares.

The boat is old and bass boats of that era rot like hell from the inside out. ALLOT of work to restore and the cost of repair would exceed the value of the entire boat and motor. Once you invest ......it will NOT increase the boats value....you will still have a 35 year old boat.

The motor....... oh boy. Yes there are carbs available all the time on ebay........ starters too. I would check compression and check the power packs, coils etc. That could nickle and dime you to death. Compression in the older V-6 motors usually hovers around 90-100 lbs per cylinder. Once again....if it is bad then a powerhead (Rebuilt) is at least $1000 from your pocket (DIY) or $2500 for a rebuilt one.

I realize I am not saying good things but if you are on a limited budget........ look for an aluminum boat/motor.

Do some serious investigation....... you might end up lucky. That is a nice jack plate on the boat ;)........ but why is there a chunk of metal across the top of the transom (That's a warning sign)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... 'n to add to what Bob is sayin',....

Restoration of boats Rarely to never makes economic sense when yer payin' Somebody-else to do the work,....

Well.......... I would be very careful. What I see is a trailer loaded with parts and possible restoration nightmares.

The boat is old and bass boats of that era rot like hell from the inside out. ALLOT of work to restore and the cost of repair would exceed the value of the entire boat and motor. Once you invest ......it will NOT increase the boats value....you will still have a 35 year old boat.

The motor....... oh boy. Yes there are carbs available all the time on ebay........ starters too. I would check compression and check the power packs, coils etc. That could nickle and dime you to death. Compression in the older V-6 motors usually hovers around 90-100 lbs per cylinder. Once again....if it is bad then a powerhead (Rebuilt) is at least $1000 from your pocket (DIY) or $2500 for a rebuilt one.

I realize I am not saying good things but if you are on a limited budget........ look for an aluminum boat/motor.

Do some serious investigation....... you might end up lucky. That is a nice jack plate on the boat ;)........ but why is there a chunk of metal across the top of the transom (That's a warning sign)
Can I check compression without carbs and starter?
If compression is good, I could use on another boat. Ill post mod.# soon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Without a starter it would be difficult. You have to be able to turn the motor over and get the pistons moving to check the compression via the spark plug holes.

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you just need to go fast, a 150hp motor of that era will cost you quite a bit in gas. As mentioned, you could enjoy boating/fishing just as well on a 15-16' aluminum boat with a 25-50hp engine that will push it nicely 20-35mph. Unless you just really need to go 50mph or plan to pull skiers, a fiberglass boat that needs restoring with a gas hog 150hp motor may not be most economical solution. Check out craigslist in your area to see if you can find some aluminum boat options that are attractive to you. Starcraft is a favorite among folks on this site and guys fix them up nice for not much money. You can do probably all of it yourself or with a helper. Check out their area on this site. Starcraft Boats