Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Jillybean

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

What a beautiful day! Was anyone else out at Hart Miller Island today? There was a Boatpix.com helicopter out for quite awhile (we've never seen that before). I think he got a few good aerial pictures of our boat so I'll have to check his website to see if they are worth purchasing.

Also just wondering if anyone has seen any jellyfish yet. So far, we are still enjoying the water/swimming in Sue Creek and Middle River.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jillybean, how are Riverwatch or Wild Duck on a Friday or Saturday night. I will be staying at Bar Harbour RV center on the bush river with some friends, and just wondering about boating over there at night. Probably hit Hart Miller island on Saturday or Sunday and jellyfish Jolles for the band on Saturday afternoon. I was just looking for this years reviews of the Middle river activities.

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is sand Islands... right?

untitled1.jpg

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hey Deresa - You got it, that is Sands Island.

Nice place but it can get busy on the weekends.

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The kids are going to grandma's for 3 weeks in cali so the hubby and i are looking for something fun to do... we were thinking of tossing a little tent on Sand Islands... anyone here have any thoughts on this?

I'd love any other ideas you guys may have... the boat is kept in the Bohemia. We've never been out without the kids.. don't know what to do with ourselves (easy now, there's no cuddy ;))... just a 20' bowrider.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

The kids are going to grandma's for 3 weeks in cali so the hubby and i are looking for something fun to do... we were thinking of tossing a little tent on Sand Islands... anyone here have any thoughts on this?

I'd love any other ideas you guys may have... the boat is kept in the Bohemia. We've never been out without the kids.. don't know what to do with ourselves (easy now, there's no cuddy ;))... just a 20' bowrider.

As tempting as it may be, I am not going to say a word.:p

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... we were thinking of tossing a little tent on Sand Islands... anyone here have any thoughts on this?

Go ahead and pitch your tent. You won't be the only ones. When I was there two weeks ago there were three tents on the southern island.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Yep, I have seen several people do this before and it looks like fun. Just do it and enjoy the alone time together.

I'd love any other ideas you guys may have... the boat is kept in the Bohemia.

Have you explored the Sassafrass river yet? It is a beautiful river close by that is fun for a nice cruise. The Granary restaurant in Georgetown is fantastic. Go by boat and dock at the restaurant. Then go upstairs and enjoy a nice quiet romantic dinner upstairs with a great view of the marinas. It is also fun to admire the big boats and daydream...

We've never been out without the kids.. don't know what to do with ourselves (easy now, there's no cuddy ;))... just a 20' bowrider.

All I am going to say is on this is, I have a 20' bowrider too. You just need to be creative, thats all. ;) Have fun without the kids!

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sand islands.....north east river toward the susquehanna???? Am I thinking of the right place or just making that up in my head?

skargo

Banned

Sand islands.....north east river toward the susquehanna???? Am I thinking of the right place or just making that up in my head?

3 miles south of Havre de Grace. Not in the North East River.
Find a pic attached.

BTW, we had an Iboats raftup there last year, what's up with the 2010 version, Stacey and I are certainly ready, we raft up with someone almost weekly now.

Attachments

• SAND ISLANDS.jpg
    SAND ISLANDS.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, that is exactly where I was thinking. I always just call it the north east river as soon as I round turkey point. I gues if you get technical I am wrong. But that is the spot. Never knew it was called sand islands.

skargo

Banned

Yeah, that is exactly where I was thinking. I always just call it the north east river as soon as I round turkey point. I gues if you get technical I am wrong. But that is the spot. Never knew it was called sand islands.
Gotcha. The North East actually starts at Red Point just south of Cara cove off of red "6" I see a lot of people think it starts at TP, so you're not alone ;)

I always here of the big one referred to as Sand Island, but to be technical, they are just dredge spoils.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is Lloyds creek at the south end of the Sassafrass, not always a family place, but always very calm no matter what way the wind is blowing. And not too much further south is Great Oak Marina in the Fairlee creek, they have a nice beach and cabana bar. You should be able to stay pretty close to the eastern shoreline so you can stay away from the larger boats/wakes.

skargo

Banned

There is Lloyds creek at the south end of the Sassafrass, not always a family place, but always very calm no matter what way the wind is blowing. And not too much further south is Great Oak Marina in the Fairlee creek, they have a nice beach and cabana bar. You should be able to stay pretty close to the eastern shoreline so you can stay away from the larger boats/wakes.
Lloyd's is great, here's a video I recorded last week when we met Stan and family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyraLHP8FI

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the ideas! I just may try to fit them all in. I'm all over the Cabana idea, Lloyd's creek looks awesome, Sand Islands still sound like fun, so does "getting creative" :D lol...

Thanks everyone! I love this thread... although I don't post often I check in every couple days to read up on what ya'll are up to..

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lloyds creek is always one our stops on our annual Chesapeake trip as is Great Oaks. 1st week of august,we'll be doin it again. If you see a 33 ft. boat called Tailwagger,stop and say hi.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fairlee creek is a bit of a ride in a smaller boat. Make sure you have enough fuel. I am pretty sure (not positive) it is about 25-30 miles from turkey point. I just know I don't make the trip anymore since I got rid of my baja outlaw.

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was starting to think the same thing.. as fun as the cabana bar would be, it's a little far for our boat from the Bohemia. What about the nauti goose you guys talk about... ? Can I just go around Turkey Point and shoot up?

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

If any of you make it down to Fairlee Creek, let me know...there's always a cold "something" to share. (our boat is on B-dock). Another nice place (EXTREMELY calm water) is inside the northern cut at Still Pond. I believe it's actually called Codjus Cove. There's a huge sand bar that's perfect for kid play. Follow the day markers in and then avoid the huge open area in the middle of all the anchored boats. We're there almost every weekend.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was starting to think the same thing.. as fun as the cabana bar would be, it's a little far for our boat from the Bohemia. What about the nauti goose you guys talk about... ? Can I just go around Turkey Point and shoot up?

Yes, straight up and you run right into it.