Grinder Dust Control

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone tried one of these for grinding the inside of the hull??? I am sure that for a lot of it you would have to remove the front "window," which would cut down on efficiency, but it may help somewhat. Will still suit up and have the FF respirator, but just trying to cut down on dust around the shop.
Pros??? Cons/??? Anything... Thanks - Troy

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
There won't be any dust in the shop if you'll do your grinding outside.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nice one Jig!!! I'm sure the Neighbors in the Neighborhood will LOVE him and You for suggesting it!!!:eek:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well,I simply put a blue tarp over the hull,supported with some 1x4's, shoved the the dust collecter and went to work. Suited up in tyveck,respirator, and had an air hose to keep my shield clean as I could. Hot,ugly work but the shop stayed mostly dust free.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I built a plastic tent. Brad nailed furring strips to ceiling in shape of hull, stapled a long continuous piece of 6 mil plastic to it, cut/ taped plastic to outside top if hull (clear packing tape removes cleanly). First attempt had a few leaks but I sealed every little hole with tape and built a door that I taped shut once I got in, think hermetically sealed. It worked. If the vacuum attachment gets 95% of the dust you'll still have a nasty mess to cleanup the shop. It's like blowing talcum powder thru a powerful fan, the dust is so fine it can stay airborne for several minutes and literally gets everywhere.

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A good neighbor will never say anything about it... a great neighbor will offer to help.

I don't even have a garage so all my work is in the back yard. Don't hear boo from the one neighbor, the other neighbor wants me to do his boat next year so I guess there is a negative for doing it outside.

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I actually have her at my storage/workshop. I am going to try and do as much grinding outside. One thing I have to be aware of is where the dust goes. There a lot of high dollar boats and RV's kept out here. If I am outside my unit with the door mostly down, and the others are inside, there shouldn't be a problem. The problem would come if the weather forces me inside. Each unit is really good size, but the ribbed metal is not sealed between units. They are doing me a huge favor letting me work on the boat there, so I am trying to be a good neighbor and not get FG dust all over their toys. :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I rented a 14 x 30 storage unit with electricity. not sure if the people in the other units were happy about the dust......

I also used my shop vac with a filter bag and had the hose next to the grinder to catch most of the debris.