Got a free boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdfien22

Recruit
So I got what is to the best of my knowledge a free Valco 14’ riveted aluminum boat. Thought this could be a fun project, I also bought a Mercury 200 20hp two stroke outboard($100). I live in Southern California and I noticed the registration sticker that on the boat is from 2001. The trailer it came on has a plate that has partially broken away, but all in all looks to be solid and in good working order. Was wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to what I might end up paying at the dmv to get the boat and the trailer “Legal”.

Attachments

• D67F44A0-DCB4-4D2B-AFAB-FFA9DD875893.jpeg
    D67F44A0-DCB4-4D2B-AFAB-FFA9DD875893.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 37

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Any advice here would undoubtedly be wrong. A simple phone call to the DMV will give you the correct answer.

It would also be much quicker than waiting for an internet answer.

hugh g

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I got what is to the best of my knowledge a free Valco 14’ riveted aluminum boat. Thought this could be a fun project, I also bought a Mercury 200 20hp two stroke outboard($100). I live in Southern California and I noticed the registration sticker that on the boat is from 2001. The trailer it came on has a plate that has partially broken away, but all in all looks to be solid and in good working order. Was wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to what I might end up paying at the dmv to get the boat and the trailer “Legal”.
Not sure how Cali. handles things but shouldn't all that info be on the paperwork including registration fees etc? If you don't have paperwork or at least a reciept from previous owner- good luck!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Free Boats are usually the most expensive boats. however that one doesnt look in too bad of shape. agree with Jim. pick up the phone and call your local AHJ on registration.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
One more - Call the DMV. I mean you may have to pay for the 10 years off the road or water plus for current registrations.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Don't bother calling the DMV, they're a joke and a waste of time. Go online to make an appointment to register the boat and trailer. Drive there with the boat and trailer and all of the paperwork you have, your checkbook and patience. Any guesses you get here are just guesses. What matters is what happens at the DMV, just be prepared to get frustrated as you begin to find out how much a free boat costs. Check with triple A if you're a member. Let us know what happens and congrats on your boat. What part of So Cal are you in?

Mcfltfyter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You are probably looking at a massive dmv bill, but there is a chance they won't have record of it. If it was an automobile, there is no doubt they would have record of it, but boats are more spotty record wise.

If you can't apply for a lost title because you don't know the previous owner, it is almost certainly a waste of time and money. The only option at that point would likely be registering it out of state, then bringing it to cali later after you have proof you own it.

Jdfien22

Recruit
Any advice here would undoubtedly be wrong. A simple phone call to the DMV will give you the correct answer.

It would also be much quicker than waiting for an internet answer.
I appreciate your reply, but based on your answer I’m guessing you don’t live in Southern California. Nothing with the DMV is quick and easy here. But you are probably right. Was just looking to see what the forum had to say.

Jdfien22

Recruit
Don't bother calling the DMV, they're a joke and a waste of time. Go online to make an appointment to register the boat and trailer. Drive there with the boat and trailer and all of the paperwork you have, your checkbook and patience. Any guesses you get here are just guesses. What matters is what happens at the DMV, just be prepared to get frustrated as you begin to find out how much a free boat costs. Check with triple A if you're a member. Let us know what happens and congrats on your boat. What part of So Cal are you in?
I had a feeling this might not be as easy as I was hoping. I live in San Diego. I’m guessing it might be a better idea to look into the paperwork portion of this before I start fixing the boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I had a feeling this might not be as easy as I was hoping. I live in San Diego. I’m guessing it might be a better idea to look into the paperwork portion of this before I start fixing the boat.

Don't spend a nickle to fix up the boat and the trailer until they are in your name.

Do contact DMV first - It may not be as bad as some of us say. Won't know until you give it a shot.

mike_i

I'm in So Cal that's why I suggested you forget about calling the DMV. I just took a closer look at the boat. Are the seats, transom, tires and trailer in as bad shape as they look? Is the trailer painted brown or is it rusted? The seats are shot, how does the inside look?

I appreciate your reply, but based on your answer I’m guessing you don’t live in Southern California. Nothing with the DMV is quick and easy here. But you are probably right. Was just looking to see what the forum had to say.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I suggest you go online and check out all the available forms. I'm sure they have just about every situation covered and all the forms you'll need.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike_i

You guys in other states need to realize the DMV in CA operate as though we're in the 1980's as far as customer service and technology go.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You guys in other states need to realize the DMV in CA operate as though we're in the 1980's as far as customer service and technology go.
Could they really be that backward? So far behind in technology?
With it's huge economy, you would think otherwise.
Even Pennsylvania has all that stuff available online.
I would figure Cali would be way ahead of us.
Your State used to be the pioneer when it came to a lot if things.
I remember back a few decades when Cali always got record albums way before us on the east coast. Movies too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, legally make the boat yours before doing a thing to it.

Desertpoint

Recruit
I just bought a 1982 14 ‘ aluminum with trailer and there was no pink or registration on either. Bought boat, trailer and 10hp Honda motor for $850.00

I went into DMV with a bill of sale and luckily found the coolest DMV employee of all time. I probably spent 1 hour standing at his counter while he did everything needed for me to leave with new pink slip in my name along with new trailer registration and plates.

Total cost was $118.00 on the boat and $46.00 on the trailer.

Bottom line go to the DMV (AAA was a lot harder on my first attempt) and hope you get an employee who is not a jaded, miserable human.

Status
Not open for further replies.